Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne crisis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It is a bit sad to see people revelling in this. Irish Soccer is not exactly setting the world on fire, and to see one of the domestic clubs likely go down the tubes isn't exactly going to get people flooding through the gates to watch EL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Exactly, regardless of people's affiliations and/or hatred towards Ollie Byrne, the fact that so many people on here and elsewhere would be delighted to see the back of Shelbourne FC is a bit sad. Or at least thats the general impression I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I would not dance on the grave of Shels, in fairness. I would love to see them in the first division though, if it's good enough for Rovers then it's good enough for Shels. And it's now surely the only option in order to prevent the licencing system from ending a complete charade. Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LizardKing wrote:
    You did not see Shels fans pulling the pi$$ when dublin city wound down ...

Infairness you lads didnt.

Instead, you lot had a whinge about about the results of the matches being wiped-out didnt yous?

Now thats real compassion.

Shelbourne were not the only club upset by the Dublin City affair Chucky...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055015533

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Shelbourne were not the only club upset by the Dublin City affair Chucky...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055015533

I know. I never meant to imply you were the only ones. But its not look you lot cared about DC going bust.

So why should other fans care about Shels? Just because of the history?

So why should other fans care about Shels? Just because of the history?

Dublin City were a bizarre club, with little or no support. They had a history, under various different guises, but ultimately they were doomed to fail. The league wasn't ready for another Dublin club, the fanbase for one certainly wasn't there, the club never had a ground and the club was generally a one-man show (i.e. - Seery, although Keely was entertaining while he lasted). As notoriously poor (and frequently over-exaggerated) as Shelbournes support may be, Dublin City were a joke in terms of support.

Shelbourne are a different kettle of fish altogether. They're 112 years old, have plenty of history and some good recent success. They have been awfully run financially in the past while and are going through an extremely difficult time. Surely you must see that 112 years of history is important to the fans of the club, and should really be important to a league. As people keep drawing comparisons to Leeds United, surely if they were to go out of existance it would be a major catastrophy for English football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

While I'm not dancing on the streets, I can well understand why some Pat's fans in particular are loving this right now

Myself I hope they survive and do a Leeds, much more satisfying than them simply going to the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think there are many aspects to consider in this situation.

Shelbourne will represent Ireland in next seasons Champions League and an early exit, which is likely given the situation, will affect the league as a whole.

Secondly, whilst it is true that any club that has a successful record, and a recent one at that, and a relatively large fan base (in comparison with its peers) should be 'saved' as a going concern rather than ceasing to exist (I was all in favour of keeping Shamrock Rovers going as it is a brand name for Irish football as is Shelbourne, St. Pats, etc). However, everything has a limit, and Shelbourne cannot live on its name alone nor can any other club.

Money that was 'not available' has been used by the club (Ollie Byrne is 99% the club owner AFAIU) to gain much of the recent success. Like the Leeds situation, the Roma, Lazio, Bradford, etc, a club that lives beyond its financial means is not a viable business operation in the long-term and must live according to its means at some point. Shelbourne is now feeling the effects of that, so whilst winning the league was a recent high, the daylight reali and hangover has now fully set-in and the 'free party' can no longer continue.

The situation with the ground, property development, etc, the Donnelly family, Ollie Byrne, etc, is all a bit messy. The club has some assests, but what they are worth etc is not clear. The financial ongoings have not been laid out in black and white. The club has loans based on those assets. Currently, the club does not have enough liquid cash to pay its outgoings, and hence the player sell-off and lack of salary payment to players is a major problem, and was during last season.

The situation is hard on Shelbourne fans as they don't have any say in the manner and are just pawns in the process. They did not create the problems the club now faces, but they unwittingly or not were receivers of the success and output of the money process with the success on the football field. Fans from other clubs who have had to live under more restrictive financial set-ups, and more realistic ones, do have some right to bear some level of grievance. Its a bit like the anti-Chelski feeling for the english league. However, no-one should be dancing on graves or expecting graves. Many clubs and fans face similar situations down through the years and its a time for learning for one and all.

Whether Ollie Byrne can learn rapidly in a few weeks is anyone's guess. His track record would say that he cant so this problem may get worse before it gets better.

Redspider

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to take the talk of them not getting a UEFA licence quite seriously

The FAI can't let a team that currently has one player in its first team squad (Richie Baker) play in the Setanta Cup or in Europe, it would be an embarrasment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ollie is on Joe Duffy atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

LizardKing wrote:
    I know its Shels own fault that they are in the financial situation they find themselves but you really seem to be revelling in the demise of one of Irelands oldest clubs; Its sad really but there are lots of genuine football fans who don't lower themselves to gloating when other football clubs go through financial troubles/difficulties.

If Shels are a major rival club for you , why do you want them to go bust or be relegated? Surely it'd be much better to have ALL the big clubs in big derby games ... if you take the big clubs out of the league then its detrimental to the league itself.

You did not see Shels fans pulling the pi$$ when dublin city wound down ...

I really hope Shels can sort something out and somehow put forward a decent team for setanta, europe and new fai league season .. perhaps they have a few more youngsters coming through who can help improve the squad outlook ... Shels should be doing some fundraising quiz's or gigs to try get some much needed cashflow back into the club.

Also pimp out as much space on the kit as legally possible , didn't drogs have 2 sponsors on their kit last season ??

Points to 2001 when we were in the exact same position as them couldnt pay players suffered thousands of euro in revenue loss.

Oh hang on it was because of them we couldnt pay the players and went from full time to part time. But we moved on new owners came in and have moved the club forward and to tallaght :o

But in Shels case, good enough for them tbh they deserve everything thats happening to them for lying, cheating and destroying the EL in new and inventive ways. Taking all the best players paying them huge salaries then not paying them and making them too expensive for other clubs, for lying to the licencing commitee (for getting one the in the 1st place) for showing how not to run a football club.

back OT:

Ollie on newstalk today with someone pretending to be a Bohs fan :confused:
    th gist of it was.

Ollie
    - yeah we're in trouble i'm confident of resolving it.
    - some players haven't been paid in two weeks some for longer
    Joe
    -these lads have mortgages etc.
    Ollie
    - but what can I do, I apologise its my fault

alan hunter then talks ****e

some bohs fan talks ****e says ollie is a fairygodmother to the league of ireland

ollie talks ****e

some dundalk fan had a (fair enough) rant about them not being in the Delaneyship while Shels are.

some Shels fan called Leo makes good points, tells Ollie to get out.

some Sligo fan says i hope you are ok

Stephen Geoghegan says Ollie is the best in the world

Shels fan called Keith claims Curtis was signed above the managers heat says he's not confident.

Ollie says that they will resolve it, meeting tomorrow night, situation will be stabalised over the next few days, hope to bring a new, well known, high profile manager in (i.e. Roddy) and secure team for next season.

Ollie also admitted that the club was bankrupt.

Roll on the Rod and CL Glory!!!

Please someone explain how Shels got a licence? And how its a bad thing if they disappear?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

By all accounts Roddy will not be the new manager at Tolka.

And I think Joey is from Cameroon, not Inchicore. ;)

KdjaCL wrote:
    Ollie on newstalk today

As well as Joe Duffy, 98fm and the 6 o'clock news?
    KdjaCL wrote:
    And how its a bad thing if they disappear?

I give up.

Zebra3 wrote:
    By all accounts Roddy will not be the new manager at Tolka.

And I think Joey is from Cameroon, not Inchicore. ;)

Roddy wants shares in Shels, lots of them even offering to pitch in with his "own" money and his mates. Whether Ollie takes this offer is another thing, atm he cant really refuse.

Better sig? :p

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaCL wrote:
    and destroying the EL in new and inventive ways.

Would you ever **** off...

Laugh and gloat all you want, I know I would if it happened to West Ham or Chelsea (but surprisingly not Arsenal). Hate us all you want, but don't pretent its got anything to do with damage to the league.

The Bohs fan on that show was most definitely not pretending to be a Bohs fan. Should be able to find the link below, if you missed it.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Pats fans would have every right to dance on Shels grave after the Marney affair. I personally despise Shels, great rivalry with Rovers, while it was funny that they got relegated I missed the matches, I wouldnt care one way or another if we never played Shels again - although one match with Owen Heary playing against yous would be nice.

As I said on ShelsWeb if youse get Ollie and the builders out and start living within your means I'll wish yous luck but as it stands Dundalk would bring more to the superduper FAI Premiership A league.

Is it any wonder the league is so poorly supported, really.

I caught the Ollie Byrne 'interview' on TV last night. However, he didnt say anything very clearly and sort of hinted that the club was for sale and he would be willing to step aside.

He admits that Shelbourne (ie: himself ) lived beyond their financial means and that its all his fault. ie: reality can no longer be avoided. 'Lived the dream' was his quote, and he was apologising to Fans and others involved in the club that are now short of owed money, such as Players.

I'm not sure what his media blitz is aimed at. There are no detailed finances being revealed or discussed and it is not likely that an investor will come in, although as this is Ollie (I dont claim to know him at all well), but he's probably waiting for some foreign millionaire to hear of a club that is for sale and which is competing in the CL.

The developments at Shelbourne, will continue to run ..... and it looks like there will be no happy ending.

Redspider

• Advertisement

redspider wrote:
    sort of hinted that the club was for sale and he would be willing to step aside.
    He's been saying that for years, but you failed to mention the very important condition he has placed on this.

'If it was in the BEST INTERESTS of Shelbourne'

The media blitz is aimed at getting the word out that Shels want/need investment now

Judging by the struggles he had getting a shirt sponsor two years ago (he basically forced JW Hire to be their shirt sponsor with an endless barrage of annoyance) I think he's fighting a losing battle

bohsman wrote:
    Pats fans would have every right to dance on Shels grave after the Marney affair.

Ah yes, Shels fault that the League + FAI refused to punish Pats for playing a player illegally, only doing so when they were caught out a second time.

Shels fault as well that the league colluded with Pats in covering it up as well. :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote:
    Ah yes, Shels fault that the League + FAI refused to punish Pats for playing a player illegally, only doing so when they were caught out a second time.

Shels fault as well that the league colluded with Pats in covering it up as well. :rolleyes:

We can only hope Pat's are as vocal with the FAI about insisting "rules are rules" when March comes and we can get into Europe at Shels expense when the UEFA licences are dished out

Zebra3 wrote:

FFS, you must have known that argument was going to come back to bite you in the ass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Shels and Ollie Byrne pursued a deliberate squad-wrecking strategy towards Bohs not so long ago, so it's hard not to welcome seeing them get their comeuppance, and I certainly feel no guilt about plundering talent from there now.
    That said, I don't think any football fan can welcome the threatened demise of a club with the history of Shelbourne FC. The current fiasco only serves the enemies of Irish football and feeds the ignorant hostility towards it, so I won't be joining in any gloating parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

SectionF wrote:
    Shels and Ollie Byrne pursued a deliberate squad-wrecking strategy towards Bohs not so long ago, so it's hard not to welcome seeing them get their comeuppance, and I certainly feel no guilt about plundering talent from there now.
    That said, I don't think any football fan can welcome the threatened demise of a club with the history of Shelbourne FC. The current fiasco only serves the enemies of Irish football and feeds the ignorant hostility towards it, so I won't be joining in any gloating parties.

Fair Play , if the new FAI controlled league is to prosper ALL clubs including Shels need to be more professionally run and this won't happen overnight. I'm optimistic however that the league is going in the right direction (although unfortunately Shels might not go with it)

SectionF wrote:

Shock horror!!! Players are free to leave when their contracts are up!!!!

Shels signed players from Bohs legally unlike Bohs behaviour in tapping up Stephen Kenny while he was employed by Longford Town.

I have no problem with players leaving us now after their contracts have been broken.

Shels fans won't be out in a campaign of vegence for players leaving when they are entitled to unlike the idiots that follow Bohs.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Shels fans won't be out in a campaign of vegence for players leaving when they are entitled to unlike the idiots that follow Bohs.

Is that your 'Word of the Week' or something? :)

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Is that your 'Word of the Week' or something? :)

No, just used where justified. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

We can only hope Pat's are as vocal with the FAI about insisting "rules are rules" when March comes and we can get into Europe at Shels expense when the UEFA licences are dished out
    Be interesting to see, financial accounts required in march are only required until 31 November 2006 IIRC (just before the shít really hit the fan). After that its mainly focused ont he stadia.

To be honest, I don't think any Shels fan could really complain if we do get thrown out of Europe based on the rules. It may not be nice, but as is said, rules are rules - however I don't know exactly what they are off hand to obtain a UEFA licence (however, I would guess ability to pay players and creditors form some basis of a minimum).

In terms of the leagues progress in Europe in recent years, it would do no harm to remove a team with no players from the equation. Derry and Drogheda look strong though, so even if we were allowed in and got tanked, it wouldn't be the end of the world - would still expect to macth 2004/05's coefficient. Obviously if Pat's got in, I reckon they'd do alright - but would have it tougher in the unseeded side - they appear to be assembling a fine squad.

seansouth wrote:
    He's been saying that for years, but you failed to mention the very important condition he has placed on this.
    'If it was in the BEST INTERESTS of Shelbourne'

Well, if Ollie sees himself as Shelbourne FC, then that is for the best interests for himself, although I am of the opinion that he does want to do well for the footballing aspect of Shelbourne and he has generally sound bona fide intentions. However, it looks like he does not have the overall competence, and using his own descriptions, has tried to live the dream but has failed.

If the club is for sale, he should clearly state so. He should put together a package describing what's exactly for sale and seek potential buyers perhaps through private investment representatives. In other words, he should do it properly rather than hinting at it for years and now with his media wishy-washy interviews.

I realise that may come across a bit harsh, but the cold light of day reality requires some solid business transaction sense at this point as the clock is ticking and time affects the sale/purchase, etc.

It sounds as if Ollie is on his own more or less and the future does not bode well for Shelbourne FC if this lack of clarity situation continues.

redspider

I just spotted this on the Shelbourne website:

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=553

SSDG PRESS RELEASE

Representatives of the SSDG Executive met with Ollie Byrne and John Delamere in Tolka Park last night and various assurances were sought from Ollie, on behalf of the club.

The club explained that they were working solidly towards footballing and financial stability. Negotiations are taking place at the moment and while the club were not in a position to give assurances last night, it is hoped to have an announcement within a few days.

The selection process to choose a manager is almost complete and an announcement should be made towards the end of the week.

SSDG were given a commitment that the club will be operated on a severely reduced budget for the foreseeable future and that the restructuring of the non-playing end of the club will commence almost immediately.

Ollie Byrne also gave an assurance that Shelbourne will be playing in Tolka Park for the 2007 season and, more than likely, for at least the following two seasons. With this in mind, the club is checking on the feasibility of installing an “all-weather” artificial pitch which would be capable of being used for games from schoolboy to senior football and would also be available for hire to outside organisations and clubs.

Shelbourne FC has come from a very low starting point during the late 80’s and while the past 12 months have been extremely difficult for both players and supporters, SSDG recognises the effort and determination it has taken to make Shelbourne the most successful team of the past 15 years. SSDG will continue working with the club suggesting areas for improvement both financially and in helping to build structures that will mean supporters don’t have to endure another season like the one just past. The group is confident that by helping to maximise Shelbourne revenue potential that we can continue with the success achieved over recent seasons.

The SSDG was set up 7 months ago with the following objectives,

1. To provide funding and work for the benefit of Shelbourne Football Club
    2. To become a part of Shelbourne FC, by possibly acquiring shares
    3. To take responsibility for various functions within the club

To date the SSDG oversee the production of the Matchday Programme and were also responsible for holding the 2006 Annual Shelbourne Golf Classic. Progress was also made in regards to a possible Share option in Shelbourne FC and this remains one of our long term goals.

Areas already considered for future projects involve the upkeep of the ground, promoting the club within the schools, sponsorship, promoting Shelbourne FC through the media and the day to day running of various functions within the club.

Membership of the SSDG is open to all Shelbourne Supporters. All SSDG funds will be spent on the betterment of Shelbourne FC in a structured and transparent fashion, visible to members. All members of the SSDG will have a say in where their money is to be best spent. To become a member of the SSDG, please contact the Membership Secretary for further details, Bernadette Frazer at frazerbm@gmail.com

The SSDG representatives at the meeting were John Coleman (Chairman), Frank Young (Secretary), Fintan Leonard (Treasurer), Niall Fitzmaurice and Chris Sands.

Niall Fitzmaurice SSDG PRO - Contact 087 6379121

+++ ends +++

From the sound of that, things dont seem to be rock-bottom. The ground is assured, which is good news. A manager is on the way. All thats left is to get a squad together. There is a budget, once there is income, but how much, and how much of the income must be used to pay back debts, etc.

The sooner income starts coming in the better. Ollie should organise an all-star benefit match of ex-Shels players, mainly retired. I'm sure they would turn out, Geoghegan, etc as would any genuine fans, close season or not. Tolka, I'm sure, is available.

Redspider

SSDG ddint know the board was disolved 6 months ago, odd that.

Baker and Moore are the "only" shels players left, Byrne in talks with matthews and Mahon over the vacant job.

Altho funny in a "ha ha laugh at shels" type way, they only have 2 1st team players left.

Support the Eircom League, its great!!!!!

we need an eastenders style theme tune from bankrupcy, court cases, suspended players, clubs getting ridden rock solid, every week after our games a THUMP THUMP THUMP style tune would be great, for bohs it could get played each time they score or not. I should work in the marketting department of the fai

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Anyone else hear Roddy Collins on Newstalk? Apparently he was about to be appointed the new Shels boss last week until an unnamed third party intervened. Collins claims that the same third party has an ongoing 'Keep Roddy Out Of Work' campaign and is constantly bad mouthing him. Lucky escape for us me thinks. Can't stand the clown.

Xavi6 wrote:
    Anyone else hear Roddy Collins on Newstalk? Apparently he was about to be appointed the new Shels boss last week until an unnamed third party intervened. Collins claims that the same third party has an ongoing 'Keep Roddy Out Of Work' campaign and is constantly bad mouthing him. Lucky escape for us me thinks. Can't stand the clown.

I heard him. I wonder who the third party is. Can't get my head around Roddy's bitterness to be honest. He's brought it all on himself by slating the league at every opportunity.

This is a day old but I'll put it up anyway for what its worth:

Issued on behalf of the Management Committee

The Management Committee of Shelbourne Football Club met this evening to discuss future development of the club. Progress on the preparation for the coming season was made and new structures to secure Shelbournes footballing future will be implemented.

The Management Committee will meet again early next week to announce the appointment of a new manager.

END OF STATEMENT

---

By the way, Roddy has more boxing talents than football ones. Shelbourne is better off with someone else but who .....

3rd party was John Courtenay who Shels owe money to and said he would call in the debt immediatley if Collins got the job. Rodster had an investor from scotland to bail out the club if he got the job (as i posted days ago ;) )

KROF campaign starts :D

Altho is courtenay the right guy to be making judgements on how to run a football club?

kdjac

Ollie calls a Propaganda Rally for Friday

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=556

• Advertisement

redspider wrote:
    If the club is for sale, he should clearly state so.

In fairness Ollie has said that he will sell the club if it is in the best interests of SFC and he has said it countless times.

Any dodgy Russian billionaires out there to buy him out? Millionaires even? :(

> Ollie calls a Propaganda Rally for Friday

I see its an open questioning session with Ollie Byrne, the SSDG and any fans that want to attend. So any real fans of Shelbourne, now is your chance to speak. However, whilst I expect there will be a lot of questions, I dont expect there to be any real new information. If there is, post it here.

The one thing I would say is that all this huffing and puffing in the press, "the club is in crisis", etc, without the details of that crisis, to me now sounds as if Ollie Byrne is just preparing the fans for lower expectations for this season. The club will survive on a much lower footing and results will suffer in comparison to last. I expect to see a lot of young untested players used next season. An early exit from the CL and a mid-table finish at best. Relegation would be a disaster for the fans and it's not an impossibility so merely avoiding it is the target.

It also seems clear that Ollie Byrne has not set a price on the club and has no real intentions of getting out quickly. Any price he has put forward has obviously not interested many or indeed any prospective buyers, as few as they may be. So, it will remain his club for the time being at least and will be a going concern, albeit a club with debts (the exact amount unknown) and assets (the exact amount unknown). At least the usage of the ground has been secured which has to be a good thing.

By the way, where will Shamrock Rovers play next season?

There will be fewer fans next season, and indeed fewer games, and that means less income. Ollie would be mad to try and milk the fans for as much money as possible.

Zebra3 wrote:
    In fairness Ollie has said that he will sell the club if it is in the best interests of SFC and he has said it countless times.

But SFC is Ollie Byrne, and he has not set a price. To me, it sounds like he is still wheeling and dealing and hoping that the 'millionaire with more money than sense' will come in and give him a big pay-day. I think he is angling for that although this year reality has bitten in and he has had to curtail things a lot but I expect he will hold out for the long haul.

But all these articles, radio and TV shows etc, that's all a load of nonsense and bluster. What he says one week doesnt happen. He wrote in the Sunday Times article that something big was happening at the club and it would be announced in due course. All rubbish.

The problem with the club is that it is a one-man club and that one person doesnt always speak the truth - not lies per se but more pie in the sky stuff that is more wishful thinking and not based on actual reality.

He has taken the fans on a roller coaster ride which has now come to a sudden stop so next/this season will be an interesting transition yearfor the club. Indeed, it may be one of many many years of 'transition'. The underlying question remains, is Ollie Byrne savvy enough to run the club? The answer is probably not.

redspider

Don't worry, the fans expectations are already low.

Personally I wouldn't be too bothered if we got relegated next season (I wonder have the champions ever been relegated anywhere else :eek: ), if we still have our club playing in the league in five years time and what's left of the money from Tolka gets us our own little ground, I'll be happy.

You gotta take the good with the bad.....or should that be vice verse?

Some comments from Jamie Harris that appeared in today's Irish Times.
    O'Halloran, however, currently looks more likely to renegotiate his contract with Shelbourne while a number of other players, including both of the goalkeepers released by Pat Fenlon at the end of last season, Dean Delaney and Steve Williams, coming back.

"Having talked to Ollie over the last week or two there seems to be a sense that some of the problems are getting sorted out," said another of last year's championship winning squad, Jamie Harris, yesterday. "And if that happens then I think you'd see a lot of the other players committing themselves to staying on."

Harris himself has agreed to remain at the club and Byrne's hope is that the likes of Dave Rogers, Richie Baker and Jim Crawford might stick around too although getting a manager in place would undoubtedly make the task of reassuring them about the future a good deal easier.

"We'd definitely all like to see something happen on that front within days or maybe a week," said Harris.

Any player who chooses to stay then cries if they don't get paid next season will have only themselves to blame.

Not that I want us to lose anyone else, just sayin'.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Don't worry, the fans expectations are already low.
    Personally I wouldn't be too bothered if we got relegated next season

Expectations may be low but relegation is a bit much. I think Shelbourne fans should be bothere if that indeed turns out to be the case. Like many posters on the shels web forum, most of the problems emanate from Byrne and problems are likely to continue as long as he is still involved. But that wont change unless there is a major organised fan revolt.

The meeting with the fans is tonight. Byrne's intentions will be to placate the doubters and to ask all to get behind the team, etc. I expect Byrne to remain in charge because at the moment the fans are not organised enough and Shelbourne are not in 100% trouble, yet. We may know more after tonight.

Redspider

• Advertisement

Ollie Byrne's comments after we won the league in November. The last ten seconds are my personal 'favourite'.

http://shelbournefc.com/multimedia/audio/interviews/oliver.mp3

And how many times has he said it since...?

I can't see anything but relegation this season, it'd be a miracle if we stayed up.

We won't go down.

But who'll keep us up? Richie Baker?

I was at the supporters meeting.

The following players have apparently committed to Shels for next season.

Jamie Harris, Richie Baker, James Chambers, Greg O'Halloran, Dean Delaney, Steve Willians, Alan Moore, Dave Rogers, Jim Crawford and Gary Deegan. Crawford was the catalyst behind this, and apparently O'Halloran asked for a new contract with Shels immediately after the hearing that released Heary. I am in a state of shock at this reaction from Alan Moore, and have changed my opinion of him, in a total 180 degree reversal.

No mention of one G. Crowe, which disappoints me.

The commitment is based on paying of wages owed, which Ollie assured would be sorted on Monday.

Ollie also said that the funds were there to ensure that all tax owed, a further €104k, and back wages is available, which will assure the granting of a licence to compete in league, setanta and Europe next season.

Also monies to ensure wage payments for 6-7 weeks after. After that we are again fúcked it seems.

Those players will be full time, but we'll have part time players also.

Appaently, one Ossie Kilkenny threatened to "fúcking put Shelbourne Football Club out of existance'.

Oh, and it looks like Stephen Geoghegan will be manager, the legend that he is, with Jim Crawford the most likely to be his number two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

seansouth wrote:
    I was at the supporters meeting.

The following players have apparently committed to Shels for next season.

Jamie Harris, Richie Baker, James Chambers, Greg O'Halloran, Dean Delaney, Steve Willians, Alan Moore, Dave Rogers, Jim Crawford and Gary Deegan. Crawford was the catalyst behind this, and apparently O'Halloran asked for a new contract with Shels immediately after the hearing that released Heary. I am in a state of shock at this reaction from Alan Moore, and have changed my opinion of him, in a total 180 degree reversal.

No mention of one G. Crowe, which disappoints me.

The commitment is based on paying of wages owed, which Ollie assured would be sorted on Monday.

Ollie also said that the funds were there to ensure that all tax owed, a further €104k, and back wages is available, which will assure the granting of a licence to compete in league, setanta and Europe next season.

Also monies to ensure wage payments for 6-7 weeks after. After that we are again fúcked it seems.

Those players will be full time, but we'll have part time players also.

Appaently, one Ossie Kilkenny threatened to "fúcking put Shelbourne Football Club out of existance'.

Oh, and it looks like Stephen Geoghegan will be manager, the legend that he is, with Jim Crawford the most likely to be his number two.

Thought Moore would have been one of the first off the ship! Same as yourself here, huge reversal in opinion on him from myself.

Jim, by all accounts, is even more of a hero than before! Apparently he also said that Rangers, Newcastle, and Reading, didn't treat him anywehre near as well as he has been at Shels?

• Advertisement
Advertisement