Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne crisis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The saga continues ....

There was another item on RTE news yesterday and the body language of the FAI league spokesman on that was clearly indicating that unless things change, Shels will be out of the CL and demoted in the league.
    gimmick wrote:
    Playing devils advocate here now, but he would say that wouldn't he? He is hardly going to turn around and say now that Shels will fold by the end of the week.

Well, seemingly he is saying something like a 50-50 chance of that happening now. Flood was interviewed on RTE Radio and said something like this (sourced from Shelsweb):
    Flood says 50-50 chance of surviving but seems to be suggesting that if it does not happen in 48 hours then it's curtains.

Finbar has been trying to work on the issues behind the scenes to suss out the extent of the mess....

The debt, he says, is coming in between €4-€5 million and there has been cash advanced off the lease sale; this debt needs to be sorted ASAP. The club was able to sell the lease.

His priority is the League and getting taxes and wages in order, along with a cashflow to prepare for the new season; this is why the Setanta Cup place was surrendered.

No players will be asked to join unless Flood feels the club can move forward, but it really has to be sorted out in the next 48 hours otherwise the club COULD be in the balance.

He said that while he may not be able to turn things round, he did say that somebody else may be able to it, and that he will not be looking to run the club if it can't be a viable option and he can't sort out a viable plan to keep the club going.

In relation to players, he said that he had 3 players contracted last week but he told them that he wasn't going to do anything or commit to a manager until he had the cash issues sorted out to "trade".

The mood at Shelsweb is of a very depressed lot and understandably so. The majority of Shels fans who are not on Shelsweb are probably in a similar position. Whether it can be turned around at the 12th hour remains to be seen. Flood may resign soon, someone else may try, but the club is in a very big hole financially so things are not looking good.

Redspider

The only reason the Revenue accepted those terms was because Rovers had no assets. Allowing them to continue to exist meant that they would at least recoup some of the money owed.

Well, a club could pay back what they owe over the forthcoming years in installments. That's how many entities may off their debts over the long term, if they have an income stream, small as it may be.

I dont want to come across as coming down on Shamrock Rovers as I think that they have the best 'brand' and heritage in Irish club football, so everything should be done to save them and I support that aim. I wrote at the time that if a decision was made for one club, in terms of a tax let-off, them that it should have been made for all.

I think that the best option for Revenue would have been to get the clubs to pay back the taxes, etc, but over a prolonged period of time so that the clubs continue to exist. ie: give them a bit of slack.

In Rovers case, they got a major 'amnesty' and that has kept them afloat, but my understanding of the figures is that Cork, Shelbourne, etc, had to pay the full whack. I dont know if interest and penalties were included in that as well. From a neutral perspective, it just seems that the Revenue bods did not treat the clubs all the same way and their flexibility is needed now if Shelbourne is to remain viable in its current form.

My gut feeling now is that the financial hole at Shelbourne/Accolade and whatever other holding companies that are involved is too deep. A new Shelbourne may form after this entity demises. Other clubs have done it so even if it does fold, it may not be the end of Shelbourne forever.

In what league would a new club start, who knows? The Leinster League if they let them in perhaps. Where it would play, again, who knows, maybe sharing in Tallaght with Shamrock Rovers. Shelbourne fans have a lot of work ahead of them.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

redspider wrote:
    Well, a club could pay back what they owe over the forthcoming years in installments. That's how many entities may off their debts over the long term, if they have an income stream, small as it may be.

I dont want to come across as coming down on Shamrock Rovers as I think that they have the best 'brand' and heritage in Irish club football, so everything should be done to save them and I support that aim. I wrote at the time that if a decision was made for one club, in terms of a tax let-off, them that it should have been made for all.

I think that the best option for Revenue would have been to get the clubs to pay back the taxes, etc, but over a prolonged period of time so that the clubs continue to exist. ie: give them a bit of slack.

In Rovers case, they got a major 'amnesty' and that has kept them afloat, but my understanding of the figures is that Cork, Shelbourne, etc, had to pay the full whack. I dont know if interest and penalties were included in that as well. From a neutral perspective, it just seems that the Revenue bods did not treat the clubs all the same way and their flexibility is needed now if Shelbourne is to remain viable in its current form.

Eh NO, and I've said this before. Shamrock Rovers were in examinorship. Which means that the owners of the club had a complete audit as they were unsure if SRFC were a viable option. During the audit, the auditors said X amount is owed to Revenue. At the end of the audit, the examinor's looked at settling the debt's of the club. The examinor's said they would pay 1c for every €1 owing to the debitors.

What happened between Shelbourne and revenue was, revenue carried out A TAX AUDIT and said X Amount is owed. Then between accolade and the Revenue commison, they agreed on a repayment plan. Then Shelbourne missed payments. Thus winding up notices were issued. As 1.shelbourne are still trying to operate, 2.they have revenue streams. So in theroy the revenue commisson are looking at is as Accodale are a bad debitor and thus winding the company up to get the money owed.

Also unlike the difference between rovers and the other EL clubs. Rovers called in the auditor's to reveiw their practices. The revenue called down to tolka park one day and said..."Can we see the books please?"

Im a Shelbourne fan and in my opionon there is no way back. The big problem is that unlike shamrock rovers or bohs, the shelbourne fans kept believing the line Ollie was telling them. It was obivous something was seriously wrong when the first winding up order was issued. Also how could they be paying Alan Moore cira €2,000 a week when they struggled to get 2,000 people into home games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

Have to say that this kinda thing is getting out of control in the EL...a team spends big...wins the league for a couple of years..then they realise they cant afford it..club is already in debt and almost go to the wall (look at st pats and bohs ..and to a certain extent Derry and dublin city) before shels.

Until EL teams live in the real world finance wise this is going to keep happening. I can understand why chairmen are doing this (cos they want their club to be successful) but i think fans would rather have a steady club ..than one being top of the league one month and out of business the next.

There was an item on RTEs Prime Time this evening about Shelbourne's predicament. No new information in it. It included a discussion with an FAI spokesman and a business/sport journo.

One thing the FAI chap hinted at is that several clubs have been through the bust cycle and have risen from the ashes, namely Shamrock Rovers, Derry and a couple of others. He also said that time is of the essence so for this version of Shelbourne to survive they need to get their skates on. The journo hinted that there may be an investor coming on board brought in by Flood to pay-off the current debts and allow the club to continue but its still in discussion. Miriam was her pleasant self as usual and had brushed up on the topic. The angle of why Kevin Doyle is such a success now in England, etc, and why he wasnt in the LOI was a bit of a red herring ad would be known by anyone who know's the difference in the leagues in question.
    bullrunner wrote:
    Have to say that this kinda thing is getting out of control in the EL...a team spends big...wins the league for a couple of years..then they realise they cant afford it..club is already in debt and almost go to the wall (look at st pats and bohs ..and to a certain extent Derry and dublin city) before shels.

Until EL teams live in the real world finance wise this is going to keep happening. I can understand why chairmen are doing this (cos they want their club to be successful) but i think fans would rather have a steady club ..than one being top of the league one month and out of business the next.

It's endemic across the world as clubs aim for success yet there is a limited number that can attain it as the prizes and rewards are limited. As the prize values go up, the chancs are that more clubs will take risks. Whicj is why you dont see it so much at amateur/'junior' (Linster League) level.

Perhaps if players were only paid on for success on the pitch (ie: pts performance, wins and draws) would things change radically, eg: for the FAI league, say 900 euro for a win, 300 euro for a draw and 100 euro for a loss, on top of a base of the minimum wage. These dont have to be absolute figures but some sort of cast-in-stone pay-for-play scaling system agreed by all clubs. Somthing like that may help many leagues, along with absolute measures that salary's MUST be less than revenues.

Redspider

• Advertisement

DaveH wrote:
    Eh NO, and I've said this before. Shamrock Rovers were in examinorship. Which means that the owners of the club had a complete audit as they were unsure if SRFC were a viable option. During the audit, the auditors said X amount is owed to Revenue. At the end of the audit, the examinor's looked at settling the debt's of the club. The examinor's said they would pay 1c for every €1 owing to the debitors.

What happened between Shelbourne and revenue was, revenue carried out A TAX AUDIT and said X Amount is owed. Then between accolade and the Revenue commison, they agreed on a repayment plan. Then Shelbourne missed payments. Thus winding up notices were issued. As 1.shelbourne are still trying to operate, 2.they have revenue streams. So in theroy the revenue commisson are looking at is as Accodale are a bad debitor and thus winding the company up to get the money owed.

Also unlike the difference between rovers and the other EL clubs. Rovers called in the auditor's to reveiw their practices. The revenue called down to tolka park one day and said..."Can we see the books please?"

Im a Shelbourne fan and in my opionon there is no way back. The big problem is that unlike shamrock rovers or bohs, the shelbourne fans kept believing the line Ollie was telling them. It was obivous something was seriously wrong when the first winding up order was issued. Also how could they be paying Alan Moore cira €2,000 a week when they struggled to get 2,000 people into home games.

Yeah, you are right in that this is what happens at many football clubs. ie: Company ABC Ltd is trading as Club FC, and then Company ABC Ltd goes bust. Then Company DEF Ltd starts up and trades as Club FC or Club AFC and life goes on, a phoenix from the ashes.

I suppose that is a good way for clubs to survive, and there are many examples of that, such as Shamrock Rovers. But in a way, its the Revenue turning a blind eye as tyhey have it in their power to recover taxes from a bankrupt entity from another entity if they can show that the other entity has links. And clearly the new Shamrock Rovers have a link to the old Shamrock Rovers. Legally, all companies could be barred from trading as Shamrock Rovers anything until those taxes owed were paid.

However, they are taking the practical point of view, and I dont blame the authortities for that. I just think that they could have given Shelbourne and some of the other clubs some slack in relation to owed taxes. The tax due in the year has been mentioned at something like 800k. Having to pay that back in a short space of time, is crippling.

> the shelbourne fans kept believing the line Ollie was telling them.

I think to be fair to Shelbourne Fans not all of them believed it and knew that there were serious problems building up. But as the figures were hidden, it was difficult (and still is) to know the extent of the financial hole and what is owed to whom.

In a way, this has all come down like a house of cards so quickly, so perhaps Revenue were allowing the club a lot of slack until after the end of the season.

I think its 'phoenix from the ashes' time .....

Redspider

ps: where is MrJoeSoap these days ..... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

redspider wrote:

Maybe MrJoesoap is Ollie bryne as we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

redspider wrote:
    He moved to Australia.

Denying Boardeaux one of it's best players. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The tax due in the year has been mentioned at something like 800k.

well if you didnt pay such high wages it wouldnt be as high
    only a small amount of that would represent tax shelbourne owe on their employees wages the Er Prsi the rest of it is money deducted from the players wages (if they were bothered to be payed) that the club is responsibe for handing over to the revenue.
    I dont see any reason why shells should get a tax break the tax rates would have been known by the club and they should have built it into thier business plan. Plenty of people have had to sell thier homes over short term tax problems because they didnt budget properly why should shells be let of they were given a defered payment arangment by the revenue and they failed to meet it.
    Its not the revenues or anyones elses fault shelbourne have shot themselves in the foot and bought the league with money they didnt have for the past few seasons they are now feeling the conceqences and I for one couldnt find it funnier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It doesn't bode well for the future of League of Ireland as a viable professional league. Maybe the crowds just aren't big enough to sustain fully professional teams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

they are now feeling the conceqences and I for one couldnt find it funnier.

Shells

Shels

Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

aidan24326 wrote:
    It doesn't bode well for the future of League of Ireland as a viable professional league. Maybe the crowds just aren't big enough to sustain fully professional teams?

The crowds are big enough to sustain professional football if you live within your means , but having crowds of 1,200 and having multiple players being paid between €2,000-€3,000(Moore , Ndo , Crowe and Byrne were all reported to be on these types of wages and im sure Heary would have been on good money too) it's obvious that things are going to go wrong .

Galway United are turning Full-time pro for next season and although they are taking a slight gamble it appears their maths add up right and they should do quite well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

well if you didnt pay such high wages it wouldnt be as high
    I dont see any reason why shells should get a tax break the tax rates would have been known by the club and they should have built it into thier business plan.
    Its not the revenues or anyones elses fault shelbourne have shot themselves in the foot and bought the league with money they didnt have for the past few seasons they are now feeling the conceqences and I for one couldnt find it funnier.

I agree with you, in the sense that any entity should pay its taxes as it goes along and what is due. However, as Shamrock Rovers got a tax amnesty, a very very large one, then other clubs that go to the wall also should and any clubs that have an onerous tax bill should be given ample room to pay it back.
    ie: it should not be a factor in its demise. I still think that the new Shamrock Rovers should pay the back taxes that the old Shamrock Rovers owed, as its clearly trading off its brand name and is de facto a similar business. I would have no problem with the idea of the Clib 400 getting together and forming a new club such as Tallaght Rovers. I also think that in legal terms Revenue would have a case to get the taxes owed, as that's what happens to other companies that are using a trading as.

I'm not sure how much Dublin City owed, of the 1.5 million debt it had when it went bust, was tax. And we haven't seen a reconsititued Home Farm yet. But in Shelbourne's case, my understanding is that they are having to pay back 104k a month. For any football team in Ireland, that is a crippling pay back. Even if its just 104k as a once off, cant the Revenue delay their demand until the club is playing again and getting an income and in a position to pay it back?

I agree with you that Shelbourne bought their success. But its the same the world over and here in Ireland. If you listed a table of how much the clubs spend and their success, it is a very very similar table. Granted Shelbourne lived beyond their means, well beyond, and people that were owed have said no more. It also would seem to be a case that although the FAI knew that Shelbourne had debts, it was the level of debt that perhaps they were not and there are indications that some of it may have been kept off the books. That may lose Shelbourne a division at least, even if they get their licence from here on. There is nothing wrong with debt per se, but incomplete accounts (ie: dodgy) is a problem.

There is more to come with this story .......

Redspider

ps: btw, I am a neutral in this, and not a Shelbourne fanatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Rumour: Shels had a board meeting last night and are to go to the high court tomorrow to cease trading. AFC Shelbourne?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Can shels not sell tolka asap ? Im sure Bohs would let them into Dallymount untill they get a new ground or maybe santry stadium for a while.

Santry needs some building work by the Fingal county, so thats like a millenium away. Bohs are in a posotion to say no but doubt they would money is money. Rovers also play in Tolka and they would have to come to Pats but there are issues with that (4000 of them to be exact and the fact residents wouldnt allow them back). Most likley Shels in Richmond and rovers in Dalymount if Tolka was sold.

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=52119 better explanation of the ground issue.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Bohs may be in a position to decline, but wouldn't. If Shels come knocking to rent Dalymount, it will definitely happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

KdjaCL wrote:
    Rumour: Shels had a board meeting last night and are to go to the high court tomorrow to cease trading. AFC Shelbourne?

kdjac

Just like when you said Joey Ndo joined Pats at backend of 2005?

Just like when you said Shels played played Ndo illegally during 2005?

Just like when you said Shelbourne were going to cease trading last Thursday?

Seriously KdjaCL, any muppet can have the ability to make a blindingly obvious rumour like that in Shels current situation. Whether your rumour comes true or not, the bottom line is no one knows about what is going on part from the Shels board, not you, not I or any moron from foot.ie.

For a mod of Soccer forum to be spreading rumours from rumour about a club like Shels in their position when there's quite a few fans here deeply upset about the plight of their club is badly poor form. If you can support your statement show it or cut the rumours out.

Just like when you said Joey Ndo joined Pats at backend of 2005?

Just like when you said Shels played played Ndo illegally during 2005?

Just like when you said Shelbourne were going to cease trading last Thursday?

Seriously KdjaCL, any muppet can have the ability to make a blindingly obvious rumour like that in Shels current situation. Whether your rumour comes true or not, the bottom line is no one knows about what is going on part from the Shels board, not you, not I or any moron from foot.ie.

For a mod of Soccer forum to be spreading rumours from rumour about a club like Shels in their position when there's quite a few fans here deeply upset about the plight of their club is badly poor form. If you can support your statement show it or cut the rumours out.

Umm ? Hello the FAI are meeting right now to decide if your allowed play next season, you did know that yes? Your club had a meeting last night to decide the next course of action. I mean this is common knowledge stuff as is pretty much every "rumour" Any fool knew about Shels situation for the last 5 years (see im grand i been posting it for years now that your ****ed, i can say nah nah told you so). Well not all fools theres one batch of fools who buried their heads in the sands and laughed off this "jealousy" from other fans. Shels ahve to await the FAIs decision which will be nothing as if they ban them they have bascially shown their own Licencing system is a shambles.

Btw im sure you have guessed now that i know Ndo as he used to live beside me and he told me he agreed a deal with Pats last season, only to be gauranteed his wages and bonus owed from Shels, he stayed on but oh how wrong was he.

But thats all irrelevant now as he signed for us, didnt play the other night but O Neil did looks a handy player, look forward to see him this season.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    Umm ? Hello the FAI are meeting right now to decide if your allowed play next season, you did know that yes? Your club had a meeting last night to decide the next course of action. I mean this is common knowledge stuff as is pretty much every "rumour" Any fool knew about Shels situation for the last 5 years (see im grand i been posting it for years now that your ****ed, i can say nah nah told you so). Well not all fools theres one batch of fools who buried their heads in the sands and laughed off this "jealousy" from other fans. Shels ahve to await the FAIs decision which will be nothing as if they ban them they have bascially shown their own Licencing system is a shambles.

Congrats KdjaCL on dodging my question.

Going by your logic because Shels are having yet another meeting and the FAI are meeting which any fcukwit knows was happening today Shels must be calling it quits tomorrow.

Can you back up your rumour that Shels are going to cease trading tomorrow? Yes or no? Simple, don't BS.

Congrats KdjaCL on dodging my question.

Going by your logic because Shels are having yet another meeting and the FAI are meeting which any fcukwit knows was happening today Shels must be calling it quits tomorrow.

Can you back up your rumour that Shels are going to cease trading tomorrow? Yes or no? Simple, don't BS.

Yes :D

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Yes :D

kdjac

C'mon then KdjaCL source? Link?

redspider wrote:
    I agree with you, in the sense that any entity should pay its taxes as it goes along and what is due. However, as Shamrock Rovers got a tax amnesty, a very very large one, then other clubs that go to the wall also should and any clubs that have an onerous tax bill should be given ample room to pay it back.
    Sorry Redspider are you ignoring previous posts?? Rovers DIDNT GET AN AMNESTY!!! where has this came from? Revenue agreed a pay back fee on the debts owned due to rovers assests and profitability. Which any debitor can do.

redspider wrote:
    I'm not sure how much Dublin City owed, of the 1.5 million debt it had when it went bust, was tax. And we haven't seen a reconsititued Home Farm yet.
    Well if Im not mistaken Dublin City were a break away from Home Farm? So your wrong there as HF are still a school boy and junior club.
    redspider wrote:
    But in Shelbourne's case, my understanding is that they are having to pay back 104k a month. For any football team in Ireland, that is a crippling pay back. Even if its just 104k as a once off, cant the Revenue delay their demand until the club is playing again and getting an income and in a position to pay it back?
    You are missing the point here with Revenue and Shelbourne. Revenue 3 times agreed payback plans for taxes owed by Shelbourne and on three occasions Shelbourne MISSED payments. So your saying that Revenue should delay payback after giving shelbourne plenty of chances.

redspider wrote:
    There is more to come with this story .......
    There is plenty more to come, but for some reason your defending the indefendable.

The best quote on this Shelbourne issue came from Ollie Byrne last March,
    "FIRST OF ALL WE HAVE TO PAY OUR PLAYERS AND THEN WE HAVE TO PAY TAX ON THAT".
    Yeah well said Ollie, same with everyone else in Ireland. Does anyone else know of a going entity that doesnt pay Employer PRSI?????

DaveH wrote:
    Sorry Redspider are you ignoring previous posts?? Rovers DIDNT GET AN AMNESTY!!! where has this came from? Revenue agreed a pay back fee on the debts owned due to rovers assests and profitability. Which any debitor can do.

You are missing the point here with Revenue and Shelbourne. Revenue 3 times agreed payback plans for taxes owed by Shelbourne and on three occasions Shelbourne MISSED payments. So your saying that Revenue should delay payback after giving shelbourne plenty of chances.

for some reason your defending the indefendable.

The best quote on this Shelbourne issue came from Ollie Byrne last March,
    "FIRST OF ALL WE HAVE TO PAY OUR PLAYERS AND THEN WE HAVE TO PAY TAX ON THAT".
    Yeah well said Ollie, same with everyone else in Ireland. Does anyone else know of a going entity that doesnt pay Employer PRSI?????

Hi Dave,

No, I was not ignoring your posts, I thought I had answered it elsewhere on this thread.

The entity that was trading as Shamrock Rovers didnt pay all the tax that they owed, in fact a fraction of it. A new entity was formed which is now trading as ShamrocK Rovers, one which certainly claims a link with all the trophies and success/history, etc that Shamrock Rovers entities of the past have won etc, I dont think anyone disputes that the new Shamrock Rovers is linked and trading off what the old Shamrock Rovers were. As the new incarnation did not have to pay the taxes owed, that is a de facto tax 'amnesty' as Revenue have it withink their remit to claim back ALL of that tax. Do you understand that salient point?

> Revenue agreed a pay back fee on the debts owned due to rovers assests and profitability. Which any debitor can do.

And it was a very generous one. What I am pointing out is that it was within the remit of Revenue to get back all the tax owed from whatever entity sprang up and traded using any names related to Shamrock Rovers. If a new company and club formed, lets say, Tallaght Rovers, and with no link whatsoever, then that would be an entirely new company/club. Believe me when I tell you that Revenue have treated Shamrock Rovers very very favourably.

The other point I want to get across is that I am not saying that such lenient treatment is in fact totally wrong, as long as all clubs get equal lenient treatment. I did not want Shamrock Rovers to be lost as a name/club as I think it is an important part of Irish football. Having said that, all businesses and clubs should pay their taxes, if they are still in existence. Shamrock Rovers are clearly still in existence. I think its wrong for Revenue to request back taxes to be paid at a rate that cripples any club. But they, and other creditors, should be paid back in time, and maybe this will take a long long time.

In terms of Revenue and Shelbourne, yes, you are right, Shelbourne have missed payments. They probably have been given ample slack and have used up all of it and forced Revenue to say "no more". But, Revenue still have it within their remit by taking a lenient approach as exemplified by their treatment of Shamrock Rovers and can delay payment demands.

> for some reason your defending the indefendable.

I'm just looking for parity.

> Does anyone else know of a going entity that doesnt pay Employer PRSI?????

The problem was endemic across the league I understood. Football Clubs are cash businesses (with paying fans at the turnstiles, merchandise, etc) so its very easy to pay employees and others in cash and not put it through the books. Football wouldnt be the only business in Ireland to have done this and many clubs were caught unawares when the clampdown came. I agree with the clampdown but I dont agree with tax let-offs for one club and not for others.

Redspider

KdjaCL v Zane

Chaps, I dont want to break into anyone else's argument, but for what its worth, I think that you KdjaCL stepped over the mark with some of your comments, which is not exemplary behaviour for a mod. Whilst your original post was clearly indicated as a rumour, indeed anything slanderous or otherwise can be put down to a rumour, Zane took your bait as there seems to be some 'history' between you.

Maybe time for both of you to stop the handbags ....

Just my 2 eurocent worth ....

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Got this from a reliable source within Shels ... KdjaCL will be gutted no doubt :D
    The word is that Shels will survive. The FAI Committee met yesterday & requested additional information from Shels - this was given at 2pm today. It also appears that John Delaney (FAI) visited Ollie Byrne in Hospital yesterday and advised him that he would have to sign-over the Club and he agreed to do so - this will clear the way for Shels Premier Licence to be confirmed.

It will also be announced that Alan Matthews is the new manager & that there are already 14 players signed (probably reserves). Anyway it looks like good news.

Sign over the club to who?

I think to the other directors (probably so that they can go ahead with sale of Tolka)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Great news. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

LizardKing wrote:
    Got this from a reliable source within Shels ... KdjaCL will be gutted no doubt :D

While I'd like to believe in that rumour..

..these damn rumour-mills are stressful :(

Sorry t'is till a rumour until officially confirmed ..

I saw this posted on the Shel's forum (Pete is Shel's official Poet ....)

Ollie Byrne

I see a stocky man encroaching
    ‘Pon the Deportivo turf.
    Arms outstretched, he’s now approaching
    As on Galilean surf.
    Portly chest puffed out with vigour,
    Milking the sustained applause.
    Lo! the proud and joyous figure
    Crown prince of the matadors.

As I watched, my mind remembered
    Sunday gloom at Harold’s Cross.
    Winter afternoons dismembered
    By another stunning loss.
    Ollie, shaking hands and beaming,
    Sharp of tongue and sure of stride,
    Shrewd, yet not averse to dreaming
    Of the day we’d turn the tide.

On that evening mild and balmy
    Basking in Galician heat,
    Ollie faced the trav’lling army
    Like a beaming paraclete.
    As we hailed our bounteous saviour,
    Little did we think at all
    That our overjoyed behaviour
    Would so soon begin to pall.

Now he lies there, frail and drowsy,
    Staring at the surgeon’s knife.
    Heartbeat weak, prognosis lousy,
    Clinging grimly onto life,
    While the club he loved so dearly
    Lies in rubble down the road.
    Once so mighty, now ‘tis merely
    Stanchions starting to corrode.

Not the time for ancient grudges,
    Handed down through bitter lore,
    Not the time for gleeful judges,
    Though his kingdom is no more.
    Brash buffoon or grasping schemer,
    Gulping from the fiscal lake?
    Yes, he was a hopeless dreamer
    And we followed in his wake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Matthews would be insane to take the job.

Howaya Ronan.

I think so too, I think anyone with half a brain knows this.

redspider wrote:
    Whilst your original post was clearly indicated as a rumour,

At least someone read that part.

Shels are in a pickle indeed, to compete in UEFA they must be debt free to players, the FAI wont relegate them as it shows the FAI up for gimps in the inaugral Prem League, shels getting money off Kilkenny with some strings attached. If shels are relegated as they should be then they go bang and AFC Shels may be born.
    this will clear the way for Shels Premier Licence to be confirmed.

LOL :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    At least someone read that part.

I'm still waiting in suspence to see and hear where your getting all your wonderful ''rumours'' from KdjaCL. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Matthews would be insane to take the job.

seansouth wrote:
    Howaya Ronan.

I think so too, I think anyone with half a brain knows this.

Matthews has a good job as a bank manager in Dublin as far as I know , he was with Shels before (with Keeley I believe) .. he probably is not in the game for the money and would like the challenge of bringing shels back from the brink. Also nobaody knows what offers are on the table. I think its better to have some positive rumours than the negative shíte coming from others....

Shels will survive !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Matthews does indeed have a very good job in a well known bank in Dublin. He was also Keeley's assistant at Shels sveral years back.

He also plays the worst type of football known to man, but at this stage any form of stability would be good. That said, noone will be appointed until its clear what we will be at next season, if anything.

I'm still waiting in suspence to see and hear where your getting all your wonderful ''rumours'' from KdjaCL. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And im waiting in suspence to see if i need to get my passport renewed :) Tough oul world. Guess we find out at the same time.

kdjac

At the request of Ollie Byrne and his colleagues on the Management Committee of Shelbourne F.C., I have worked over the past few weeks to facilitate a package of measures that would enable Shelbourne Football Club to continue its’ illustrious presence in senior football in Ireland.

This work has now reached the stage where proposals are being considered which have the potential to ensure that Shelbourne F.C. can continue to operate as an FAI National League Club.

From the outset, I made it clear to both Ollie and his Management Committee that combining the role of Chairman of a professional football club with my other business and personal commitments is not possible, given my own recent medical history.

I am therefore now withdrawing from my role in Shelbourne Football Club to allow Ollie and his Representatives to objectively consider the proposals on offer.

I would like to thank everyone at Shelbourne F.C. for their support over the past difficult weeks. I sincerely hope that Ollie is speedily returned to health and that a mechanism can be found to ensure the continuity of our famous Club.

FINBARR FLOOD

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=567

kdjac

• Advertisement

OK.

The reason for him stepping down is simple.

He was asked to come in and trash out a deal with, among others, Ossie Kilkenny and other people owed monies from Ollie/Shelbourne.

He said that once his job was done he'd go.

He HAS trashed out a deal, his job IS done, and now he's gone.

It's up to Ollie to agree to it. Finbarr can't MAKE Ollie do anything.

I believe Ollie will agree, as I also know that on Wednesday night he was being assessed by psychiatric doctors to ensure that he is capable of making decisions (in business law a person has to be of sound mind to sign legally binding contracts).

An update on Ollie's health also.

He had a biopsy on tissue removed from his brain two weeks ago, which was found to be a malignant tumour.

He was due to be released from hospital on Tuesday of this week, and go to St Luke's hospital for daily Chemotherapy in an attempt to treat the brain tumour. However, on Monday night his condition worsened, and therefore he was not released from hospital. He has not improved enough to be released yet, and it is still unclear when, indeed if, he will be released.

A lesson for us all. For years, since they were invented, Ollie Byrne has been a man with a mobile phone attached to the side of his face. You couldn't have a conversation with the man as every two minutes the phone would ring and he'd be off on another rant to whoever was on the other end of it.

I'd say this and the tumour aren't unrelated.

I have heard the deal on offer as i am sure most Shels fans have too.

O/T slightly >

seansouth wrote:
    I'd say this and the tumour aren't unrelated.

My mothers tumour was "just there" the woman cant even operate a light switch let alone a mobile phone :D Ollie be fine as most in this country dont realise the doctors in Beaumont are damn good (mom says hi btw).

kdjac

I havent heard about the deal myself..could you pm me about it? if you dont want to post it on boards.ie

The Shelbourne saga continues.

I heard Finbarr Flood on the radio yesterday afternoon (Sat) and he was saying that his stepping back is because he had his job done as originally promised, ie: set-up a package, which is a deal.

It sounds like he was an intermediary between Ollie Byrne and Ossie Kilkenny and that some sort of offer is on the table which Ollie Byrne has to either decide to accept or not. Finbarr Flood painted a reasonably positive picture of the state of affairs, with at least some end of the dark tunnel in sight, although by no means a foregone conclusion.

I would imagine that its some sort of deal whereby more funds will be made available to allow the club to compete this year, on a much reduced basis, and include some pay back of debts (ie. those that must be paid), only if Ollie Byrne has a much reduced role in the club (executive and possibly a reduction in ownership).

The D-day seemingly by which the deal must be done is Wed Feb 14th, the date on which the FAI need to get satisfactory information to allow Shelbourne to keep the licence they currently have. Time is ticking ...

for Shelbourne fans, an easy way to remember Valentines Day for the ladies in their lives!

Redspider

ps:
    > Am I the only person that thinks RTE spending €1 million on the English Premiership is wrong?

I agree with you applehunter. Its totally wrong. There is no need for RTE to spend so much. There are many things wrong at RTE. Lobby your local TD's and the Minster for Sport to mandate that RTE be limited in the money it spends on foreign leagues. The amount spent on Irish soccer should be in my opinion scaled at 5 to 1. So, if RTE is spending 1m on foreign soccer rights and production costs(!), and I suspect it is far higher, then they should be spending 5 times that amount on Irish soccer in terms of rights and production costs. And international soccer should be a seperate category, and not lumped in together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

KdjaCL wrote:
    If shels are relegated as they should be then they go bang and AFC Shels may be born.

Really? We've been relegated before and survived it. Some of your postings here are really idiotic. I remember you announcing to one and all last August that Shels had played their last match in Tolka and were on their way out.

PS:If you're going to Portadown, bring your binoculars. Although tbh, it should be Sligo.

An FAI Commitee are meeting today to decide Shelbourn's fate.

Here is an article from today's Irish Independent:
    Cash-strapped Shels braced for FAI censure

Wednesday February 14th 2007

THE fate of Shelbourne could be decided today with growing support within Irish football for strong sanctions against the league champions whose uncertain situation has delayed the scheduling of the new season.

Shels must present evidence of their well-being to the FAI's independent club licensing First Instance Committee, who will be looking for guarantees that Shels are now in a position to pay off several pressing outstanding debts, in particular a commitment to the Revenue Commissioners and the €150,000 they owe to their former players.

But last night, PFAI chairman Stephen McGuinness said no deal had been completed.

In order to settle those bills, Shels must accept the deal offered to them by developer Ossie Kilkenny which will provide the finances to get the club through the coming campaign.

Yet the status of the ill club owner Ollie Byrne has been a stumbling block to the deal, given that Kilkenny's offer is conditional on someone else taking over the active running of the club on a day-to-day basis - former Shels chairman Gary Browne is set to assume control.

But there appears to be a degree of confusion over who is calling the shots at Tolka. At one stage yesterday, one of the ex-Shels players was told by someone within the club that the deal had been signed and he would be receiving his money shortly.

When the PFAI followed this claim up, they were told there was no agreement signed yet.

While completion of the rescue package is still expected, the delays will not help Shelbourne's case ahead of today's big date.

The league's fixture list has not been drawn up despite the fact that the season start is just four weeks away, with Shels' participation still unsure.

They could face relegation to the First Division or a points deduction if the First Instance Committee deem that the club are in serious breach of licensing regulations.

Eircom League Director Fran Gavin admitted yesterday that the Shelbourne process was holding up the preparations for the new campaign. "I'm as frustrated as anybody", he said. "As soon as the process that Shelbourne go through is finalised, within 24 hours we'll have fixtures out."

Daniel McDonnell

Zebra3 wrote:
    Really? We've been relegated before and survived it. Some of your postings here are really idiotic. I remember you announcing to one and all last August that Shels had played their last match in Tolka and were on their way out..

Sweet god man, do you not see what is happening at your club? I said it last few seasons and so did others now its in every newspaper and even on primetime, you have no ground it belongs to someone else. This isnt makey uppey, its facts.

Sadly for Shels fans i think this is ****ing hilarious "best pre-season" ever in fact.

Back on topic, shels receive a stay of execution they asked for 24 hours to think over the "deal" put before them by the licensing commitee. Odd should have been relegated to LSL according to the rules....will Ollie hand over the club and allow Shels to play in the PL?? Will the FAI enforce its own rules on the Rules are rules kings?? Will we ever see a bleedin fixture list??? Tune in tomorrow same bat channel!!!! !!!!!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

KdjaCL wrote:

Back on topic, shels receive a stay of execution they asked for 24 hours to think over the "deal" put before them by the licensing commitee.

This is a thundering disgrace. What is the point in having any sort of licencing system if there are going to be endless delays like this? When are the fixtures going to be released? Next month? :mad:

KdjaCL wrote:
    Sweet god man, do you not see what is happening at your club? I said it last few seasons and so did others now its in every newspaper and even on primetime, you have no ground it belongs to someone else. This isnt makey uppey, its facts.

Sadly for Shels fans i think this is ****ing hilarious "best pre-season" ever in fact.

Back on topic, shels receive a stay of execution they asked for 24 hours to think over the "deal" put before them by the licensing commitee. Odd should have been relegated to LSL according to the rules....will Ollie hand over the club and allow Shels to play in the PL?? Will the FAI enforce its own rules on the Rules are rules kings?? Will we ever see a bleedin fixture list??? Tune in tomorrow same bat channel!!!! !!!!!!!!

kdjac
    How you got to be a MODERATOR on soccer I'll never know !!!

"The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to personal abuse."

I see nothing civil in your posts ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bateman wrote:
    This is a thundering disgrace. What is the point in having any sort of licencing system if there are going to be endless delays like this? When are the fixtures going to be released? Next month? :mad:

Bateman,

The problem here is that the FAI actually gave us a licence in the first case (ie back in November) and now because they read the paper once a week they feel like they need to act.

They're obviously afraid that they don't want their original decision to look stupid so are trying to let it stand (ie give us as much time as possible).

But sure one club didn't even need a licence to play during the 2005 season.
    KdjaCL wrote:

Yes, you're not quite the know-all you think yourself to be. It's not and never was our ground. And we had no ground when we went down in 1986, but as I pointed out before, we survived that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement