Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne crisis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

LizardKing wrote:
    How you got to be a MODERATOR on soccer I'll never know !!!

"The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to personal abuse."

I see nothing civil in your posts ....

But you have seen Zebra3 refer to all my posts as idiotic ie personal abuse?? Tad one sided disgruntlment there all i have done is posted fact and rumours about the Crisis at above named club. Of course fans of that club are going to get upset. But as a fan of another club i find it amusing that said club is in the ****s.

Use the report post feature if you feel it negates the charter.
    They're obviously afraid that they don't want their original decision to look stupid so are trying to let it stand (ie give us as much time as possible).

It's not and never was our ground.

FAI have to allow Shels to continue otherwise the league starts as a joke before a ball is even kicked.

If its not your ground how come you managed to sell the lease on it :confused:

Rumour*Roddy Collins part of the Ossie Kilkenny gangRumour*

*For the easily upset.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd love to see roddy at shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I'm still hearing (from my source) Shels will be ok with Matthews as Manager and new Chief Executive ?? (Not Ollie and hopefully not Roddy) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well whatever the details may be, it's just been confirmed to me that Ollie has signed whatever deal was in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

KdjaCL wrote:
    But you have seen Zebra3 refer to all my posts as idiotic ie personal abuse??

No, it's not personnal abuse. I attacked the posts you put up here, I did not attack you. Big difference. One that a mod should be able to understand.
    KdjaCL wrote:
    If its not your ground how come you managed to sell the lease on it :confused:

Is it finally starting to sink in? Look at your own post. "How did you manage to sell the lease on it?"

*Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*

So you've finally realised it's not (and never was) our ground as we've only sold the lease which we had from DCC. I can't believe a genius like yourself would ever be confused..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Can someone tell me why Limerick were treated with total contempt, while Shels are being given as much time as they like, while the rest of us are kept waiting for something as basic as a fixture list? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

KdjaCL wrote:
    But you have seen Zebra3 refer to all my posts as idiotic ie personal abuse?? Tad one sided disgruntlment there all i have done is posted fact and rumours about the Crisis at above named club. Of course fans of that club are going to get upset. But as a fan of another club i find it amusing that said club is in the ****s.

All you've done is posted little lies left right and centre about Shels under the guise of ''oh I heard a rumour'' to get yourself out of the sh!t. Lizardking is right, how the hell did you ever become a mod of this forum, it feels like its becoming like foot.ie thanks to you.

Shels' fate to be decided on Monday
    Thursday, 15 February 2007 17:42

Shelbourne will learn their fate next Monday after they provided the FAI's club licensing body with the paperwork that could decide the club's future.

Shels were asked to provide information on the club's financial situation after the body expressed serious concerns about the club's stability at a meeting last week.

An FAI spokesperson this afternoon confirmed that the association had received the necessary documentation from the Tolka Park club and that the issue would be discussed by the first instance committee on Monday next.

A deadline was set for the club to provide the relevant details by yesterday, however they were unable to do so and were granted a 24-hour extension which they met today.

Shelbourne could face sanctions if it is proved that they failed to comply with licensing regulations in former applications for an FAI club licence, with either relegation to the First Division or the imposition of a points penalty from the start of the new season

FFS any chance of a fixture list?
    *Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*
    Sarcasm is new to you?
    All you've done is posted little lies left right and centre about Shels under the guise of ''oh I heard a rumour'' to get yourself out of the sh!t. Lizardking is right, how the hell did you ever become a mod of this forum, it feels like its becoming like foot.ie thanks to you.

Im not in ****s? And as Mod i do post news on certain things its like a thing you do. Sadly or happily in this case its bad news about shels so all i have really done is pointed and laughed. Be worse if i pretended to care or pretended it was a bad thing for the league. They are embarrassment to football and should be removed from the league, not gonna happen but nice to see them in the ****s and moving a step closer to extinction every day.

As i said a few posts above "best pre season ever".

Petty? Maybe. Bitter Pats fan? maybe that too, seriously pissing myself every time i think of monday week, most definitley :D

You should feel sorry the 3 shels fans i work with, jesus i nearly have them in tears daily :p

If feel i shouldnt be mod post on feedback or help desk.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Damn fine trolling there KdjaCL, bualadh bos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

From the reports so far, it sounds like Shelbourne have handed in all the necessary documentation that was asked for by the FAI. The next date of importance is Monday when the FAI cmte will meet again to decide if what they have received is acceptable or not to continue Shelbourne to have their licence, and if there will be any sanctions.

There were mentions in articles during the week that the fixtures would be published tomorrow (Thu), so we will see.

If Ollie Byrne has signed up to the deal, then that is some good news.

Redspider

ps: this is off-topic but its taking up a lot of space on this thread:
    KdjaCL wrote:
    They are embarrassment to football and should be removed from the league, not gonna happen but nice to see them in the ****s and moving a step closer to extinction every day.

Far be it for me to be a stickler for the rules, but is that not an instant banning offence, I would have thought?

Other Mods care to offer an opinion?

KdjaCL wrote:
    Im not in ****s? And as Mod i do post news on certain things its like a thing you do. Sadly or happily in this case its bad news about shels so all i have really done is pointed and laughed. Be worse if i pretended to care or pretended it was a bad thing for the league. They are embarrassment to football and should be removed from the league, not gonna happen but nice to see them in the ****s and moving a step closer to extinction every day.

As i said a few posts above "best pre season ever".

Petty? Maybe. Bitter Pats fan? maybe that too, seriously pissing myself every time i think of monday week, most definitley :D

You should feel sorry the 3 shels fans i work with, jesus i nearly have them in tears daily :p

If feel i shouldnt be mod post on feedback or help desk.

kdjac

You've trolled this forum and this thread about your ''rumours'' about Shels going to the wall on anyday you can think of. You've never backed up and verified your sources. When I put the question to you didnt respond confirming you were just spreading crap to wind Shels fans up and get all sorts of talk to keep you amused at Shels' decline.

I couldnt give much a fcuk if you're personally enjoying Shels problems or not, seeing rivals get relegated or what not is amusing (I was when Rovers went down) but it is it is pathetic for any ''football fan'' to enjoy seeing any club ''move a step closer to extinction every day.'' The fact that YOU ARE A MODERATOR and SHOULD BE PROMOTING THE SOCCER FORUM AND THE SPORT IN GENERAL and are openly posting your delight and hopes at seeing a football club go to the wall is an absolute disgrace.

You've trolled this forum and this thread about your ''rumours'' about Shels going to the wall on anyday you can think of. You've never backed up and verified your sources. When I put the question to you didnt respond confirming you were just spreading crap to wind Shels fans up and get all sorts of talk to keep you amused at Shels' decline.

I couldnt give much a fcuk if you're personally enjoying Shels problems or not, seeing rivals get relegated or what not is amusing (I was when Rovers went down) but it is it is pathetic for any ''football fan'' to enjoy seeing any club ''move a step closer to extinction every day.'' The fact that YOU ARE A MODERATOR and SHOULD BE PROMOTING THE SOCCER FORUM AND THE SPORT IN GENERAL and are openly posting your delight and hopes at seeing a football club go to the wall is an absolute disgrace.

Moderator of Forum has nothing to do with supporter of team, im not a supporter of the EL, its a fcuking joke of a legaue, im a pats fan and thats about all i care about.

What rumours did you not like or need backing up? The fact that you were going to the wall unless a deal was struck with Kilkenny now that its fact when i said "shels going to wall morrow" somehow becomes a rumour? If you didnt take that deal your gone? Why is that so hard to fathom its gone past rumour and into the factual world. Btw Lizardking posted a funny rumour a few pages back odd how you all proclaimed that as great news yet i knew it was wrong should i accuse him of being a troll or maybe ban him!!!! No because it was a rumour.

Just because you dont like the rumours ie Roddy, Matthews etc: doesnt make them not rumours hence the word rumour*.

Meaning : gossip (usually a mixture of truth and untruth) passed around by word of mouth
    Synonyms: rumor, hearsay

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I thought boards was about peoples opinions and things or rumours such and such heard if you dont like it go look at the news or aertel if you only want facts dont come to a bloody message board and then complain about it.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Btw Lizardking posted a funny rumour a few pages back odd how you all proclaimed that as great news yet i knew it was wrong should i accuse him of being a troll or maybe ban him!!!! No because it was a rumour.

Not really getting it, are you? Accompanying said rumours with "na na na Shels are f*cked hahaha lol" is what leads people to accuse you of trolling.
    trolling

2. Posting derogatory messages about sensitive subjects on newsgroups and chat rooms to bait users into responding.

Not really getting it, are you? Accompanying said rumours with "na na na Shels are f*cked hahaha lol" is what leads people to accuse you of trolling.

Theres a button to the bottom right called POST REPLY altho there isnt a DO NOT REPLY button its a given that it exists. There is also an IGNORE button that can be used when you feel someones opinion isnt to your interests.

I dislike shels and as most EL fans excluding shels fans feel they are getting what they deserve, an opinion that seems to annoy shels fans yet they continue to read mine and others bitter/jealous posts about them.......IGNORE or DO NOT REPLY??

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    Theres a button to the bottom right called POST REPLY altho there isnt a DO NOT REPLY button its a given that it exists. There is also an IGNORE button that can be used when you feel someones opinion isnt to your interests.

Very big and very clever I'm sure, but if another poster was trolling/being disruptive would that be the reply?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think of some of you are being two harsh on KdjaCL , I don't think he's trolling just some of the stuff he says gets to Shelbourne fans who obviously can be quite sensitive at the moment .

As he said the ignore feature is always there .

Back on topic: With Shels seemingly sorted(to some degree) now it looks like they will probably be allowed in the Premier division and compete in Europe .
    If it is the case that both of those happen they can consider themselves very lucky .

Very big and very clever I'm sure, but if another poster was trolling/being disruptive would that be the reply?

:rolleyes:

How am i being disruptive, if you read this thread i seem to be the only one posting the latest updates from "trusted media sources" thats called being informative. My opinion on shels is well known long before this little episode went into the media. So should i pretend i like them/feel sorry/care just to appease some pissed off shels fans? Or be an impartial moderator and not post about EL when it involves shels as it may be seen as trolling (by shels fans) as my opinion is one of glee and smilies?

Maybe the shels fans should stop whining about a rivals opinion off them? Or maybe i should go back to the FAI cup final thread and ban anyone who called pats junkies or mocked pats fans for losing? It is what your hinting at, that common sense shouldnt be applied to moderating the soccer forum and some rival fans may post things other fans dont want to hear.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    It is what your hinting at, that common sense shouldnt be applied to moderating the soccer forum and some rival fans may post things other fans dont want to hear.

Where did I suggest you shouldn't post what you know?

Do you want me to go back and find the threads where I was one of the few to back up your "rumours" re. Shels players not being paid? I don't, searching is a pain...

Read my previous contribution on how you're presenting your little gems of info, then maybe moderate your own behavior slightly so as not to wind people up deliberately

Mmkay?

i have to say i sympathise with shels ( even tough i hate them for throwing bangers into the crowd on our last visit to tolkA) because we ourselve were in a situation a couple of years ago and nearly went bust but i cant understand why the fai are giving shels every chance they can and poor limerick are getting such a raw deal.

ps. going down and going bust
    ghoing down and going bust
    shelbournes going down and there goin ****in bust
    going ****in bust
    going ****in bust;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Seriously? It's the internet, folks! :D

Obviously he's going to enjoy getting a rise from people? Who doesn't? And in some instances, why shouldn't he? Given the events of a few years ago, most Pats fans probably feel very similar (despite that being their own fault!).

Rumours are rumours, and nothing more. I could put up posts saying Rovers submitted dodgy accounts again, but it'd have no basis - and would annoy certain people. But it's hardly the end of the world!

Shels overspent alot, regardless of who sanctioned it, we are reaping the results now. And like with most gambles, they aren't good! It's all a vicious cycle, not to worry, in a few years we'll hopefully be able to laugh at Pats again (and anyone posting here taking joy from it will be banned for being offensive! :D).

Anyways, Monday? Once we still exist as a club I couldn't care if we start in the first division on -60pts, unless of course we'd not be voted back in when we came last!

redzerdrog wrote:
    ( even tough i hate them for throwing bangers into the crowd on our last visit to tolkA)

That was one immature little runt, who had alot of people immediately hunting for him (never to be found I believe :mad:). T'was one though, hardly a need for despising the entire (no jokes please) fanbase! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

KdjaCL wrote:

I dislike shels and as most EL fans excluding shels fans feel they are getting what they deserve, an opinion that seems to annoy shels fans yet they continue to read mine and others bitter/jealous posts about them.......IGNORE or DO NOT REPLY??

kdjac

So now its kdjaCL .... the voice of MOST EL fans !!! :eek:

I don't know how you came up with that . Perhaps you've run surveys of fans from all the clubs in the league and have statistically analysed the data to come up with that concensus OR you've simply made up more wild and unfounded, infactual tripe ... It must be hard to get around with that enormous chip on your shoulder ...

Wheres the ignore button?

I spotted this:
    "TV money (about €5,000 a game for the home team) .."

in this blog:
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/02/16/empty_shels.html

Is that figure about right does anyone know?
    If so, that is nearly at a criminally low level. Both RTE and the Government need to get their act together in trying to support indigenous football better. RTE are probably selling one ad at 5k. I ddnt find their latest TV ratecard, but it would seem that they are making a profit from it!

Redspider

€5000? That's it on the button! To make up for loss of crowd revenue, says it all, eh?

LizardKing wrote:
    So now its kdjaCL .... the voice of MOST EL fans !!! :eek:

I'd agree that they are getting what they deserve, and I'd feel pretty safe in agreeing with the statement that "most eL fans (Shels fans excluded) feel that they are getting what they deserve", without sarcastically nominating someone as the voice of most eL fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

So today is D-Day for Shels!!
    So what shall the outcome be??

Ollie Byrne was in the sindo yesterday and said he has stepped down as CEO and wont be returning. His health seems to be a major problem. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

DaveH wrote:
    Ollie Byrne was in the sindo yesterday and said he has stepped down as CEO and wont be returning. His health seems to be a major problem. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
    :eek:

He was in Tolka on Friday morning. His nephew Andy is being installed in some capacity at the club.

He's starting his treatment for the tumour tomorrow, if memory serves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

seansouth wrote:
    His nephew Andy is being installed in some capacity at the club.

Kit man to CEO it looks like! :eek:

• Advertisement

Feck it.

Looks like our first game could be against Pat Dolan's Wexford Youths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Wow, i thought they would fudge it again.

Probably a good decision overall.

Fresh start for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It did Rovers no harm last season. Gave us a season in which to recover and get our house in order. We bounced back and I'd like to think Shelbourne can too.

It'll be tough, of that there is no doubt.

But WE WILL BE BACK.

FORZA SHELBOURNE

From the posts here by Shels fans should we take it that there will be no appeal? The club will be presented with the explanations tomorrow, and have 5 days to appeal, there is still the outside chance of a finger of fudge. With Ollie off the scene though, you'd have to think that the club might, to use a highly irritating Derry phrase, "take their oil".

Disaster

but can have no complaints

if we have grounds to appeal then I hope we do but I'll be very surprised if there's any backtracking on the decision, if there is there will be a few hundred Maxis at Merrion Square...

keeping my fingers crossed this could be a blessing in disguise that it will be an opportunity for the club will get it house in proper order but still relegation sucks :( At least we have a club to watch and support for the time being

Believe!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So I guess Waterford United will be taking the place of Shels in the Premier Division.

FAI
    The First Instance Licensing Committee of the FAI met this evening to examine licensing issues concerning Shelbourne FC.

Following its meeting on February 4th, the Independent Committee had sought information from Shelbourne and following extensions to that date at the request of the club, the Committee met again this evening to consider the status of their licence.

The Committee decided to withdraw the club’s Premier division licence and to award Shelbourne a first division licence, with conditions.

In line with the Club Licensing process, Shelbourne FC will be advised of the specifics regarding the decision tomorrow and the club has 5 days in which to appeal the decision. No further detail will be made public pending an appeal.

So the next step in the Shelbourne saga unfolds with the FAI cmte having decided they dont warrant a Premier licence but are okay for a 1st Division licence. The details behind FAI's decision will be outlined tomorrow but only to Shelbourne and not to the public. Shelbourne may appeal, but for the moment, its impossible to tell if they have any solid grounds for doing so.

From reading between the lines of the FAI announcement, the 'with conditions' clause is indicating that Shelbourne should count themselves lucky to get the 1st Division licence. There seems to be no points deduction, and my understanding is that they will be able to play in the Champions League perhaps, although that may be a detail/condition.

I dont think anyone, a Shelbourne fan or otherwise, is shocked by the announcement.

From an FAI league point of view, its good that the club has not been chucked out completely.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Even though I'm from the S.East, I cannot believe how JAMMY Waterford United have been on this one. By the looks of it we're back in the premier.. not even through the back door.. this is more like in the cat flap.

Its a pity to see such a big club like Shels suffer. I actually thought a season in div 1 would help Waterford get its affairs in order. Looks like another year of struggling financially for us. Still.. Cant complain.. 'mon blues!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Aquos76 wrote:
    So I guess Waterford United will be taking the place of Shels in the Premier Division.

Expect some nut to douse himself in petrol in Merrion Sq again so.

Not sure what tho think, gl;ad that the league stood strong on the issue, but despite everything I like having Shels in the premier division. I have no one to really ahte now, unless you could Drgheda who are to be treated with contempt rather than hatred, and lets be honest, they will be in Shels position in the not so distant future.

I suppose I will have to take it out on Derry, aka Shels Lite.

Bateman wrote:
    From the posts here by Shels fans should we take it that there will be no appeal? The club will be presented with the explanations tomorrow, and have 5 days to appeal, there is still the outside chance of a finger of fudge. With Ollie off the scene though, you'd have to think that the club might, to use a highly irritating Derry phrase, "take their oil".

Bateman,

If the club feel there are grounds for appeal, then they should go for it.

Meybe the FAI were flexing their muscles and wanted to put a jolt up everyone's arse.

Then again, maybe not.

Either way, it is a joke that it's gone on this long. Season due to start 9 March, and now fixtures for at least another five days. They should release the fixtures and simply say Waterford and us to swap places, etc pending any appeal. There's no reason why Bohs fans shouldn't know by now when they are playing Rovers, Pats, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they can't possibly go into the champions league now - if they're not fit for the premier division how can they go on to represent the FAI and the league in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Zebra3 wrote:
    They should release the fixtures and simply say Waterford and us to swap places, etc pending any appeal. There's no reason why Bohs fans shouldn't know by now when they are playing Rovers, Pats, etc.
    Agreed. But they are probably trying to avoid giving some nonce reason to run down to the Four Goldmines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

loyatemu wrote:
    they can't possibly go into the champions league now - if they're not fit for the premier division how can they go on to represent the FAI and the league in Europe?
    Indeed thats a good point.

But on the other hand, Shels won the league last year and thus under the rules qualify for the Champions League. The decision made by the FAI has no impact on Shels winning the league title last year. They are still champions, thus should take the league's one place in the Champions League qualifiers.

Thats just another point of view rather than my opinion.

gimmick wrote:
    I have no one to really ahte now, unless you could Drgheda who are to be treated with contempt rather than hatred, and lets be honest, they will be in Shels position in the not so distant future.

I suppose I will have to take it out on Derry, aka Shels Lite.

LOL i can assure you the drogs will not end up in shels position. we have a very bright future and are finacially stable with a brand new complex on the way. I know the men running the club and they are certainly no ollie.

• Advertisement

Champions League
    I would have thought without a Premier League (PL) licence then Shelbourne wouldnt be able to get a Uefa licence for the Champions League (CL). Also, for all the clubs in Ireland and for the FAI, it is better that a decent team is put forward to represent the league, co-efficient points and all that. This may leave the FAI in a bit of a quandry but it perhaps is now inevitable that Shelbourne wont be in the CL due to the licence. For Shelbourne, that will mean even less income, although it will avoid an embarassment.

Appeal
    As of last week or so, Finbarr Flood said that the club was in a position to compete in the PL and the CL. If that was the case, then you would think that the club would now be looking to appeal, unless something came up that the FAI spotted or already knew about that Flood was not aware about. That could certainly be the case.

Inconsistent Tax Treatment
    Of course the whole situation does have inconsistencies. For one, the tax payments (500-800k, some still owed) that were made last season crippled the club, and were the very heavy straw that broke the camels back. Without that they would have probably been able to pay the players and keep going.

As I've said before, although the tax was owed and everyone should pay their taxes, some deal could have been done in delaying the payments. And the treatment of Shelbourne and Cork and other clubs was much different to how Shamrock Rovers were treated who I understand only had to pay 1% of the 1.5 million they owed in tax. This has been discussed at length.

Derry City
    In relation to that, whats interesting is that Derry ity FC are outside the jurisdiction of the Revenue people, so they cant do a surprise audit of their accounts. History has also shown that the club has gained huge benefits from the local government there, which leads me onto if this was Derry in the same financial situation, would they have a) not had a cashflow problem in the first place as Revenue wouldnt have been after them, and b) got a bail out from the city council.

Its an interesting question because long-term, should Derry be in the league if their company and financial status is different? That to me would seem an unfair advantage.

Now, it looks like they will also get into the CL. It remains to be seen whether last years league trophy will be reverted back to them. I dont think that is tha case as it would have been mentioned in last night's press release you would have thought.

Corruption
    One part of the stor that seems to be glossed over in all of this is that this problem could have been avoided. At the end of the day, it was a financial fall-out between Kilkenny and his parties and Byrne. Shelbourne FC and Accolade would have had enough finances but Kilkenny was probably shocked by the amount of money that was consumed in such a short space of time and refused to hand out anymore unless the books and business got properly sorted. Byrne refused and hence the brinkmanship has led to Shelbourne nearly at the brink. It shows a lot of ineptitude on Byrne's part if you ask me.

The other thing behind this is of course 'evil money' and increasing property/land values that are driving things mad in this country, greed, etc.

I also understand that it is alleged that the Donnelly family have been more or less hoodwinked in this whole saga. That they only got 3 million for their partial ownership (50-60%) of the lease that they still had on Tolka, and it was worth lots more. Byrne borrowed the money from Kilkenny to pay for it and at the same time sold a smaller partial interest of the land to Kilkenny. In other words, Byrne flipped it without even having to pay for it, and he flipped it at a collosal mark-up due to the expected change in usage of the ground.

For sure, 3m for part of a sports ground was a fair price, in fact a good price. But 3m for part of a plot of land to be zoned dense residential apartments in an area that is crying out for redevelopment, and which was then valued to be 24m, is a steal.

Byrne will probably make millions out of this property deal, perhaps in and around 9m (13m for selling lease - 4m spent on Shelbourne). He may have to spend some on a new ground for Shelbourne but could easily spend little by just sharing with Shamrock Rovers.

Kilkenny (and partners) will make many more millions out of it as the value of the plot could generate as much as 40m, so a gain of 27m (40m - 13m).

The losers are Shelbourne FC and the fans.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I don't know how to PM you on this board, but I wouldn't post that if I were you, unless you can prove each and every bit.
    Is it not possible to argue that the deal was perfectly legitimate, and that the seller should have been more clued in? (Think Kevin Doyle.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

redzerdrog wrote:
    LOL i can assure you the drogs will not end up in shels position. we have a very bright future and are finacially stable with a brand new complex on the way. I know the men running the club and they are certainly no ollie.

why do you think that?

there is a lot of money being put into the club by local investors, if that were to go, or if they failed to get europe two years running, things could change dramatically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

redspider wrote:
    Inconsistent Tax Treatment
    Of course the whole situation does have inconsistencies. For one, the tax payments (500-800k, some still owed) that were made last season crippled the club, and were the very heavy straw that broke the camels back. Without that they would have probably been able to pay the players and keep going.

As I've said before, although the tax was owed and everyone should pay their taxes, some deal could have been done in delaying the payments. And the treatment of Shelbourne and Cork and other clubs was much different to how Shamrock Rovers were treated who I understand only had to pay 1% of the 1.5 million they owed in tax. This has been discussed at length.

Redspider

Shels did have a repayment schedule along with most other clubs including Bohs, problem is they consistently broke the repayment schedule forcing revenue to issue winding up orders. Ollie coming out 18months ago saying they were not going to pay any more tax hardly helped matters.

Rovers got away with 1% or whatever because they had no assets to sell. They went through examinership, very different to what is happening at Shels, one of the Rovers fans should be able to explain better.

redspider wrote:
    Byrne will probably make millions out of this property deal
    You have absolutely no clue what you are on about here.

Ollie Byrne is not in this to make money. Any money coming out of the deal to him will go back to the club. Ollie IS Shels. It is his life. It could yet be the literal death of him.

What you are suggesting here is offensive to me, the club I love, and Ollie Byrne.

Take it back please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement