Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless router need some help

• 03-01-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Ok, went and bought a wireless router with a built in Printer port. Its the Belkin Hi-speed router. It works fine and have no probs with it. But i recently got in wireless broadband, and they supplied me with another wireless router, called Speedtouch 716wl.
    The Signal from the mast comes in to my house via an indoor antenna to a reciever. the reciever is then pluged into the router via a network cable, but is pluged in to 1 of the ports that you would plug a computer into the LAN side. Now this broadband works fine but i want to know can i swap the routers. I tried to use the belkin router but its not picking up the LAN broadband. Has anyone idea of can the belkin router do this. Sorry about this being so vague. if u have any questions to make more clearer, shoot
    thanks
    Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Could we get the model number of the belkin router so we can see if it supports pppoe

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Yea, its a High speed Mode Wirless G router with built in USB printer server Model No. F5D7231-4P. Now with the speedtouch router, to access the router page the address is speedtouch.lan and that bring up the home page of the router, now in one of the sub directories, there is one called broadband connection. in this page there is 2 option, DSL connection or internet. On the internet side, there is the option to connect/disconnect. When this is connected i have my internet connected. The type of connection is PPPoE. I tried to do this set up with the belkin router, but it just dosen't see the internet connection. Is the belkin router the wrong type of router for this type of broadband connection??? As far as i am aware it has the option when setting it up for the type of connection and PPPoE is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

So, has anyone have idea if i can use my belkin router?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Yes, but you'll hvae to use both. The Belkin router is only a router - you need a Modem/router. So you will have to forward the signal from the Speedtouch to the Belkin.
    I'm just about to ask exactly how to do this is a seperate thread now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

When using PPoe you have to setup the belkin to handle all the DSl related information. So basically you copy all your DSL settings from the belkin.

This PPPoE uses the Speedtouch as nothing more than a modem and the belkin becomes the router.

Hopefully that helps a little

this may give you a rough idea (from FAQ )
    9) What is a bridged modem?

When configured in Bridge Mode, a DSL modem will act as a pass-through device and allow the workstations on your LAN to have public addresses directly on the internet. Note that in this mode the bridged modem is providing no firewall protection as is afforded by NAT. And you will need a router/firewall server to handle PPPoE Authentication.

10) Instructions on how to bridge popular DSL modems

Netopia (Eircom)
    Zyxel (BT)
    Aolynk (Smart)

• Advertisement
Advertisement