Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm problem !!! Urgent help needed

Options
  • 03-01-2007 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi all...

A few days ago a contacter tripped on the switch board in me house and there is a few sockets in the end rooms with no power to them. All the lights are fine. I checked all the sockets for loose connection/ shorting but nothing found. I assume the problem may be in the attic as I was up there around the christmas.. I didnt get a chance to investigate further as I had to go to work !!!!!

the house alarm was flashing red fault light. But is activating/deactivating fine.

2 days later while I was in bed the alarm sounded and the buzzer outside/inside the house.
    Jumped outa bed, Grabbed the shotgun and headed down to the hall where the keypad is.
    The keypads display was very dim and all three lights were flashing!!!
    When I enter the code the alarm wont stop......

Called alarm company and they say that there is a contacter tripped in the house... I explained that there is an electrical fault in the house that I need to take a look at in the next few days .....

They said that I have to wait ( 3 hours for the battery in the siren to die )..... Which it did....

Does anybody know if the battery in the siren is re-chargeable or whats the story...

Currently the keypad is blank !!!

all help appreciated...
    Cheers
    TRX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say the power problem affecting the sockets in some of the rooms is the problem. It seems that you alarm is getting no power - it's most likely on the same trip switch supply as the dead sockets. It worked fine for a while on its built in battery - but now thats gone flat. You will need a new one. The flashing red fault light was probably the alarm telling you that something gwas wrong. Most alarms display a faulty light when power is interrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Cheers cross..

Is this battery not rechargeable then...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be - it depends on the alarm, but any half decent alarm should have rechargeable. My alarm battery is flat at the moment - it's been flashing that way for a year!

Have you tried reset the trip switch with all appliances plugged out of all the dead sockets, just in case it's an appliance that's causing the circuit to trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

The main panel battery is usually always rechargeable and when the power is restored the bell battery will recharge also. Does sound like your electrical fault is the problem. The alarm should have made you aware that it was running on battery power though. As in "Mains Fault" displayed on screen when you want to arm and disarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Well

I spent a day last week in the attic with all that insulation ****e !!! Still itchy but anyways... Found nothing unusual..

No loose connections or shorts in any of the junction boxes...
    Checked all sockets in affected rooms.. no evidence of shorts or loose connections.
    Checked the Cb itself and nothing unusual/loose there either....

So urgent help still needed.... ... before I start to call the leci's in !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement