Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knots in door frame showing through paint

Options
  • 03-01-2007 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all

Just moved into a 3 yrs old house and look like the builder never put that knot primer stuff(sorry remember what its called) on before applying undercoat and gloss :(
    Now there are light brown stain showing through paint where the knots are located.
    I was going to repaint the door anyway, but will this clear up the problem (2nd layer of paint) or do I need to sand down to the bare wood and treat the knots?

Thanks in advance
    pan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sometimes a second layer of paint will sort it out. But the only way to be sure is to sand and start again with the knot primer. Lots of hard work! I'd risk a second coat first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I dont think putting knotting straight over the old paint will help you at all..As you said it should of been done at start before painting started. The sap coming though it a combination of heat/sun rays etc.If the knots are exuding sap from the knot then scrap it off and sand down.

Then get a small can of *Bin primer* Link ,its a shellac based paint like knotting but is tinted white. I'd say this will solve your problem. Maybe the spray in link would be better to get than a container of it....Oh be carefull with B.I.N primer as it dries very quickly,so avoid splashes if you can or have a cloth handy.

Goodluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Thanks lads, that Bin primer looks good.

Advertisement