Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar work in Galway

Options
  • 03-01-2007 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ive no experience so im wondering if it will be difficult to get a job. Where should I ask?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FuzzyWool

A lot of bars do look for experience. I'd try a hotel if I were you. The Menlo Park Hotel are looking for staff at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Chances are you could get a floor job and work up to doing the bar - that's how most people get their first experience.

Try Buskers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Fey! wrote:
    Chances are you could get a floor job and work up to doing the bar - that's how most people get their first experience.

Try Buskers?

What do you mean by floor work? I woudn't wait but I would collect glasses. I also wouldn't really like a hotel because I don't want to have to wear a uniform or gay clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Everywhere will have a uniform.. you'll have to start collecting glasses without a doubt.

Try Strano's if you dont want gay clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could ask at the smaller old-man pubs around town, they are not so full and will also let you wear civilian un-gay clothes. Since they are not so full they will usually start you in the bar immediately, including collecting glasses and everything else. If you can hack it there a year move on to the bigger pubs in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I think I saw a sign in McSwiggan's windows the last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

junii wrote:
    What do you mean by floor work? I woudn't wait but I would collect glasses. I also wouldn't really like a hotel because I don't want to have to wear a uniform or gay clothes.

No offence to our non-nationals, but it seems to me these days that if you speak english you're over qualified for glass collecting!

By floor work I mean picking up glasses and taking orders at tables in the likes of Buskers, the Front Door, the Quays, McSwiggans, the Kings Head et al. Of them all, I reckon that Buskers is the one where you'd most likely be moved into the bar quickly if you showed any kind of promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Garavan's on Shop street will be decent... quiet enough, but loads of really old bástards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Fey! wrote:
    No offence to our non-nationals, but it seems to me these days that if you speak english you're over qualified for glass collecting!

By floor work I mean picking up glasses and taking orders at tables in the likes of Buskers, the Front Door, the Quays, McSwiggans, the Kings Head et al. Of them all, I reckon that Buskers is the one where you'd most likely be moved into the bar quickly if you showed any kind of promise.

Buskers is hit and miss as to when you get behind the bar, i've known a few who were trained up in a couple of weeks, and some who were there for a LOT longer... best part of a year. Also, male staff usually don't take orders in that place and start off in the cellar, stocking and crap. There are better places to start off in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Buskers is hit and miss as to when you get behind the bar, i've known a few who were trained up in a couple of weeks, and some who were there for a LOT longer... best part of a year. Also, male staff usually don't take orders in that place and start off in the cellar, stocking and crap. There are better places to start off in my opinion

Like where?

If I did want to get into the likes of buskers though... would that be a case of sending in a cv and all that ****e. I don't feel like going around explaining to people why I want to do something different for a while. I just want to go in and start. I was thinking just nights btw...Would that mean it would just be part-time. You need feck all bar staff during the day anyways sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

junii wrote:
    Like where?

If I did want to get into the likes of buskers though... would that be a case of sending in a cv and all that ****e. I don't feel like going around explaining to people why I want to do something different for a while. I just want to go in and start. I was thinking just nights btw...Would that mean it would just be part-time. You need feck all bar staff during the day anyways sure.

What's so different about bar work?

If you're 'not bothered' then don't get a job

Send in a cover letter with your CV when applying for a job, that will explain why you want to do bar work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Id recommend starting in a hotel etc, look for a job lifting glasses. Then move onto lifting glasses in a club and it usually dosent take too long to get into a bar from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

junii wrote:
    Like where?

If I did want to get into the likes of buskers though... would that be a case of sending in a cv and all that ****e.

Yeah all that handing in CVs and actually applying for jobs properly thing is such ****e.

If you're too ****ing lazy or stupid to do up a CV and go around with it what makes you think you'll be able to hack it behind a busy bar in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Like the rest have said, try glass collecting. That's how I started.

Word of warning, the glass colectors work harder, between cellar maintaince, stock & stocking the bar, keeping bars full with ice, keeping toilets clean and cleaning up puke you; from the sounds of yer posts won't wanna stick that. If you do, the fact that you are Irish will mean that you will get behind the bar fairly quickly.

I'd start off in a club seen as they require the least amount of experience. They focus on getting the drinks out and the money in, you don't have much bearing on the sevice level like an actual BAR PERSON would. Pouring the drinks is the easy part and best place to start is in a night club.

Get yer experience, get yer reference and you will have a job in any bar in every town in the country waitin for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ?banned?

I work in a bar in galway. Its kind of an old man bar but we get busy at the weekend with lots of young people. I wear whatever I want to work and definately wouldnt work in a bar where I had to wear a uniform or take food orders.
    does anyone know the going rate for bar work by the way? I get a tenner an hour cash into my hand at the end of every shift which I think is pretty handy. On a busier night he'll throw in an extra 20 - 50 quid which is very decent of him.
    On to the original question though, I saw a sign in the front door on sunday night looking for "experienced" bar and wait staff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

The bar ppl I know make minimum or a euro or two above.
    It's not a fortune but there seems to always be work if you're good, and then you can easily go on a working holiday to Oz, UK or US. They love the Oirish accent/pouring beer mix.

Advertisement