Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No way of creating a backup disc?

• 04-01-2007 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased a PC having used only macs for a few years. The PC came with no windows installation disc and on starting up it told me I'd need to create a set of windows backup discs by going to Start > All Programs > System Recovery> Recovery Media Creator. Which is all very well except that folder doesn't seem to exist, and when I go to Utilities > System Recovery it doesn't seem to give me the option of creating backup discs. There's a Creator folder in the Windows folder but it's empty.

I've spent ages googling this and I'm stumped. The last PC I bought came with a windows disc, so I've never had to do this before. There may be something totally obvious that I'm missing. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what I do? I feel kind of worried that I have no recovery discs if something bad happens.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Some PC manufactures opt not to put in a install CD of XP as it basically saves them money which is the reason why I gather.

Anyway some manufactures have a different means of going about creating the media such as;
    Hidden partition containing the files
    ISO image on the drive
    Files in a folder such as I386 or CABS etc.

Who is the maker of your PC ?

The system may have also come with a recovery/restore disc anyway check the labels on the CD's that came with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you only purchased it recently check back with their tech support

Different pc makers use different ways, some use their own programs, some use hidden partitions on the hard drive, some use a Shift F12 on boot up

I still can't figure out how they save money on the CD's cos they all they get are more support calls and customer angst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The only disc I got was a disc for Microsoft Works. The maker is Advent. The .pdf manual told me to go to Programs > System Recovery > Recovery Media Creator, but it doesn't exist. So I guess I'll have to contact them. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Gauge wrote:
    The only disc I got was a disc for Microsoft Works. The maker is Advent. The .pdf manual told me to go to Programs > System Recovery > Recovery Media Creator, but it doesn't exist. So I guess I'll have to contact them. Thanks!

Was the PC brand new in the box (all sealed with plastic), if it wasn't or had been opened before, the pc may have been running already (on display maybe?), and the recovery disc creator could have been ran already, Advent computers will only allow the creator to run fully once before it removes the option for creation of a backup set. If above does not apply, the recovery software/partition could be faulty, so as Capt'n Midnight said contact tech support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Try to run a recovery. Boot the machine and tap F10 or F11 to see if it boots from the recovery partition. If it doesn't, check the Bios and make sure it's activated.

Failing that, bring it back to PC World/Dixons/Currys - whichever place you bought the p.o.s. advent from. If it's a desktop you have, get them to replace it with another brand, Advents overheat like nothing else. Their cramped, low airflow cases are awful.

On another note, most manufacturers no longer include recovery media. Toshiba and Dell would be the only two I can think of that do, possibly Philips but they're crap. The recovery partition is a handy thing to have, and it's not too much hassle to burn two DVD's.

Good luck mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The PC was brand new, sealed and in the box, in fact it was a friend who works in the shop recommended the PC to me because it was a good deal (price dropped down by €200 after christmas). I'd rather not have to exchange it because I haven't found any other core 2 duo PCs for the same price! :) I had a look around boards and I'll give all the advice in this thread a go tonight. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement