Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭S-Murph

Iv been in and explored the magazine fort in the park numerous times, and tbh, I very much doubt there is any tunnel system connecting it to anywhere else.

It has been suggested here that its connected via tunnel to the hospital in the park, Collins Barracks and Arbour hill.

I have looked for a any sort of tunnel entrace (even blocked) while there and have found nothing of the sort.

The only thing that comes close is the concrete bunker/weapons store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dunner09

there is one that goes underwater from loreto dalkey school to dalkey island

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭donalglackin

probably old but does anyone know about the caves on killiney beach i seen the entrance the other day but didnt have a torch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You can stand under my umbrella.:pac:

/Fail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

does anyone know about the caves on killiney beach i seen the entrance

Indeed. You can read all about them in The Dalkey Archive (http://www.dalkeyarchive.com/catalog/show/26) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Dont know if this was mentioned in the last 19 pages but under daunt square in Cork there is a tunnel/sewer system. I dont know how big or small it is but have seen it dug up a few times. From what ive heard there are other tunnels around the city that a small boat could fit along.

Also i think theres a few tunnels down around Charles fort in Kinsale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

There are tunnells in Mill Lane, Palmerstown. Also there are tunnels under the big church in chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Loved reading this thread, 2 years going strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In Nenagh there was a tunnel between the jail and the courthouse.
    You accessed it through the governors office. Or so I remember. It's a few hundred metres long

This wasn't uncommon, I'm sure many courthouses had tunnels leading to nearby jails

Edit: looking back I posted this in 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

There are tunnels from Leinster House running under Kildare street to the dept of enterprise and employment. Tunnels under the luas tracks from bridewell garda station to the 4 courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

There's tunnels under the main streets in Limerick, they were built when the Georgian buildings were being built, though I think most have been converted into coal bunkers etc. There is also reputedly one under the Shannon from the city to the maternity hospital or the old barracks, not sure which. There is also reputedly an extensive tunnel network under Mountshannon house, near Limerick.

Afaik, there's also a series of medieval tunnels running under Galway city.

Limerick City Council also has a nuclear fall out shelter somewhere in the City Centre, the leader did a piece on it about five or so years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

there is a tunnel from The Portobello Pub through to Rathmines. The story goes that it was used to bypass a British checkpoint during the War of Independence. Apparently some lads were running guns through it when the Brits went to each end and shot down it, it was borded up and no one has been down since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Is the OP still about?

Was his piece ever finished? Im hoping for pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Grimes wrote: »
    there is a tunnel from The Portobello Pub through to Rathmines. The story goes that it was used to bypass a British checkpoint during the War of Independence. Apparently some lads were running guns through it when the Brits went to each end and shot down it, it was borded up and no one has been down since.

Very interesting.

Where did you first hear/read about this? Would be interested in finding more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭jif

theres tunnels under UCD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Grimes wrote: »
    Rather fanciful, seeing as there is a canal in the way.
    pvt.joker wrote: »
    There are tunnels from Leinster House running under Kildare street to the dept of enterprise and employment.
    Then wouldn't TDs use it coming and going? But you instead ahve them using the pedestrain crossing.
    Tunnels under the luas tracks from bridewell garda station to the 4 courts.
    Are you sure it isn't between the Bridewell and the district court next door?
    Dont know if this was mentioned in the last 19 pages but under daunt square in Cork there is a tunnel/sewer system. I dont know how big or small it is but have seen it dug up a few times. From what ive heard there are other tunnels around the city that a small boat could fit along.
    All the main streets in Cork are on former river channels.
    S-Murph wrote: »
    It has been suggested here that its connected via tunnel to the hospital in the park, Collins Barracks and Arbour hill.
    There is a connection between Collins Barrack and St. Bricins Hospital, not St. Mary's Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I've been in the Bridewell tunnel and Victor is right. It brings you right into the middle of the district courtroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

there is a tunnel apparently leading from malahide castle right into malahide and it apparently comes out in a well that is now in the middle of gibneys pub in malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Victor wrote: »
    Rather fanciful, seeing as there is a canal in the way.

It goes under the river ... or so the story goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Sorry if been said but there is a Tunnel in Swords running from St Colmcilles Well to the Round Tower or so we were told growing up.

Then again there is footprints on the bottom step of the well which were told was caused by Brian Boru jumping off the tower :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I lived in a large Victorian ? house on an 80-acre farm in Cuskinny, Cobh, Co. Cork 1963-1966. It had a tunnel just outside the back door which led all the way from the house on the hill down through the farmland to the front entrance at the seashore. I called there recently and found no sign of the entrance or exit. I suppose it's now just another tunnel whose location is lost to posterity - although I know where the entrance/exit is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

there is also a tunnel from the army barracks in longford to the courthouse which also has a connection to the old hospital that was on the battery road in the town near enough the barracks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Im guessing its already been mentioned but
    Nowadays, much of the lower course of the River Poddle is in a large brick tunnel under the city streets and Dublin Castle, and while access is restricted, it is walkable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Poddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

mgmt wrote: »
    Im guessing its already been mentioned but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Poddle

Actually watch this:

He walks around the Poddle tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I remember when I was smaller my teacher mentioning that there was tunnels between that little church across from Powers funeral home in ferrybank and Reginalds towers. Not sure if its true or what but it sounds crazy, how deep would they have to build that to go under the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I remember when I was smaller my teacher mentioning that there was tunnels between that little church across from Powers funeral home in ferrybank and Reginalds towers. Not sure if its true or what but it sounds crazy, how deep would they have to build that to go under the river?

Ha I was just going to say I haven't read then 20 pages but someone probably mentioned this.
    I worked for the museum in Waterford for the summer and the official line is that the existence of that tunnel is nonsense. Apparently there is no archaeological evidence for it whatsoever, they did up Reginald's tower about 6 years ago and had a good look as far as I know.
    Despite that, locals will tell you, and have told me, they are 100 per cent certain their father, friend etc was down there. A common story is a man going down with his dog, and dog ends up being eaten alive by rats ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Dan133269 wrote: »
    A common story is a man going down with his dog, and dog ends up being eaten alive by rats ;)

Haha you gave me a nice memory jog there. I just remembered the teacher telling us the exact same story. Shame really, it sounded cool.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there's supposedly some pretty cool tunnels in Galway too, if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Having lived in Palmerstown all my life and doing some research into the history I have never heard of any tunnels in mill lane..nor can I find any reference

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement