Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Just a heads up...

Keep an eye out for a programme called "Cities of the Underworld" It airs on History Television over here, not sure where it would air over there. Anyway, next week, they're exploring underground Dublin. The blurb says "Dublin, Ireland is much more than a city full of pubs and pints. Pagan burial tombs, subterranean defense tunnels, and mysterious burial crypts line the underground below the rolling hills. Even an underground river runs through the heart of the city where you'd least expect to find it."

It's generally a very interesting programme, but we'll have to wait and see if anything 'new' pops up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Exit wrote: »
    Just a heads up...

Keep an eye out for a programme called "Cities of the Underworld" It airs on History Television over here, not sure where it would air over there. Anyway, next week, they're exploring underground Dublin. The blurb says "Dublin, Ireland is much more than a city full of pubs and pints. Pagan burial tombs, subterranean defense tunnels, and mysterious burial crypts line the underground below the rolling hills. Even an underground river runs through the heart of the city where you'd least expect to find it."

It's generally a very interesting programme, but we'll have to wait and see if anything 'new' pops up on it.

Is there any way you can record it and upload it? :confused:

Prob not legal though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Unfortunately I don't have the technology, but a quick google shows that the series airs on The History Channel in the UK. You might have to wait a while to catch this one though.

If I remember to watch it, I'll update here.

EDIT: Actually, it's on torrents for people who know about that stuff (I haven't a clue) - http://www.google.ca/search?q=Viking+Underground&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Unfortunately I don't have the technology, but a quick google shows that the series airs on The History Channel in the UK. You might have to wait a while to catch this one though.

EDIT: Actually, it's on torrents for people who know about that stuff (I haven't a clue) - http://www.google.ca/search?q=Viking+Underground&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Thanks for the info. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I read all 11 effing pages of that and got no closure! what happened to ted???

http://www.gigdig.com/~ted/

Ted and Bob went back to the tunnel entrance. He found the rope at the bottom of the entrance and realised gravity had simply pulled it back into the tunnel. Further back into the tunnel entrance the origional rope coil had been left on a higher ledge and the friction from Bob climbing had caused it to fall from the ledge some meters below causing the movement of the rope. The picture at the beginning was what TED found inside.Ted got geared up and went back into the newly discovered cave and squeezed his way along the passage head first with his arms by his sides and using his toes to push his body along floyds tomb. It was very restrictive and when he squeezed through the tight bend he got stuck due to extra equipment and couldnt move. He was barely able to expand his chest enough to breath and if he nudged back or forward there was a chance he would suffocate. The terrible smell that frightned him before returned although depite the terrible situation Ted had a good idea what the smell was as himself and bob discovered a main river tributary formed into an underground river that ran under the rock face near where the tunnel was located. It was possible that this was responsible for the noise and that the round rock was a gully where water rushed up causing the round rock to roll about. The main river also ran overground only 70 miles north of the cave where there was 3 small towns situated that still use the river for supposedly treated sewerage. Sometimes when there was a flooding the sewerage treatment plant was flooded and raw sewerage leaked into the main river.This had the double effect of causing water spouts and loud noises and smell's. The other theory Ted had was that hydrogen sulphide gas from the limestone in the rock formed sulphric acid which causes the limestone to dissolve percloating the surface of the cave wall and ceiling whih also causes sulfurous fumes which have as unpleasant odour and when factored with out the air breeze which was usually when the river was slower and create a vacuum that caused the breeze there would be no ventilation.The percloated surface accounted for the strange designs on teh cave ceiling and wall. On this cave expedition Ted err'd on the side of caution and Bob had trailed a rope behind Ted that had a small rucksack with 3 torches and most basic equipment. That rope was tied attached to Teds pants and was contributing to restriction on his body and had caused him to get stuck tight causing him to suffocate. He couldnt wriggle about to untie the rope and could barely move his head. His eyes were becoming bloodshot and he feared if he moved any further forward he would be unable to take in any air.Ted was unable to move back due to the rope which now was going to prove fatal. He tried to scream out to Bob but his body muffled any sound and he still had a half hour before Bob expected the rope signal.

Bob meanwhile waited over 4o mins and had been trying to communicate using the rope, He knew Ted was stuck or the rope had broken because the plan was to thread the rucksack through the tunnel. It was now 1 and 1/4 hours and Bob couldnt see Teds feet due to the bend in floyds tomb, He tried using some of the old tools to feel about in the tomb/cave to see if he could locate Teds body, There was nothing long enough to reach that far into the tomb and the old steel pipes had been brought home after the last expedition.Bob was going to have to climb in. Bob used some of the old tool's left behind to break away the small hole leading to floyds tomb, He was bigger than Ted and would need to break away another inch of Rock. He went at it with the sledge hammer breaking small peices the size of fingernails at a time.

Ted could feel Bob Pulling on the rope, The rope was twisted around his leg so hurt like hell every time Bob pulled hard on it. At one stage he thought Bob would amputate his leg he was pulling so damn hard. He screamed out but could only hear a faint muffled sound. After Bob stopped pulling on the rope he could feel dull vibrations in the rock.Some dust from weaker rock was falling on the side of his face and he could not move to shake it off. All Ted could do was bat his eyelids and grimace with his mouth. The dust was filling his nostrils and stinging his eyes and he knew he would suffocate unless Bob stopped hammering on the cave wall.

Bob dropped the sledge hammer and checked the hole, It would be tight but he would fit. Bob cut come rope and thread it into the cave ahead of him and wriggled through the cave hole. He had to exhale air and collapse his lungs to wriggle his chest through and twist painfully to get his hips through the cave hole. He barely could move his head and wriggled along the tight cave using his toes. He had to put his arms in front of him and would not be able to change that position. The reason for this was to be able to tie the rope onto Ted's feet. Bob was wriggling with his face scraping the cave ceiling and floor and realised he would not make it around the tight bend in floyds tomb, He had to reach Ted in the next few feet. Bob managed to wriggle another foot and became wedged in the bend of the cave his chest unable to fully expand forcing Bob to take small shallow breaths. He was not going to be able to get back.!

Ted felt hands on his feet and Knew Bob had come to investigate. After an hour of Bob tapping on his foot Ted began to realise BOB was also stuck, After one more hour Ted knew Bob was stuck and would probably suffocate in a few more hours. While Ted had the entire cave in front of him Bob was jammed behind Ted with no air coming from either direction. If Ted farted Bob would probably die. Ted was more concerned that if Bob pushed him he would
    become compressed and would be unable to breath. Suddenly that is exactly what Bob did. Ted felt Bobs hands on his feet and felt his Body compress and forced forward. Ted tried to curl his legs but the cave walls compressed his knees and Bob still had enough leverage to push Ted.

Ted immediately lost the ability to breath and would die in minutes.The hard rock ceiling pushed down on his back and the cave floor crushed the air from his lungs. His eyes were bulging and yet Bob kept pushing. Ted also realised BOB might be using him to try free himself.

Bob used the cramped calfs and feet of Ted to try and force his body into reverse and try wriggle back the way he had come. He was dying and the air was hot and dry.

Ted blacked out..................

http://www.gigdig.com/~ted/buttshot.jpg

http://www.gigdig.com/~ted/shoes.jpg

The reason Ted was dying
    http://www.gigdig.com/~ted/squeeze.jpg

Relief replaced despair as Bob took in lungfuls of fresh air. He had dislodged Ted just enough for a draught of air to get through. He could barely reach Teds motionless foot but was at least alive for now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Not a tunnel, but I'm pretty sure Busáras is built over an old theatre/cinema which you can still gain access to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

an old theatre that ws therebefore, huh i thought it was just a civil servants arts thing to put a theatre at the bottom of big building like liberty hall

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

flogen wrote: »
    Not a tunnel, but I'm pretty sure Busáras is built over an old theatre/cinema which you can still gain access to.
    It was built for the entertainment of passengers waiting for connecting bus services. Back in the 1940s it was popular to have short cinema screening of less than half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Is it still possible to gain access to it??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

He was in Dublin a while back,actually got acess to the river Poddle by tunnel and walked along it to the confluence with the liffey.Apparantly the watewr level can rise very rapidly and drown anybody in the tunnel(which was constructed from brick in medeival tims).Fascinating stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

starn wrote: »
    Is it still possible to gain access to it??
    http://www.irish-architecture.com/news/2007/000153.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

The 1937 reading room is mostly underground. There is a series of tunnels linking the Berkley to Early Printed Books. It was certainly in use in the mid 1990s, because I recall a period of interest in a couple of books there in my incompleted M.Litt years when I spent a bit of time in EPB copying music from some 17th century publications. As far as I know there is also connections from the '37 to the Berkley.

Kerry Houston, who did a thesis on St Patricks cathedral once told me he remembers (or somebody told him they remembered) flood waters covering the pews in the cathedral. I believe part of the remedy was to pipe part of the Poddle under the cathedral. They should be able to tell you there. If not Kerry works in DIT in the Music Dept.

Been in the Catacombs in Christchurch years ago - nothing very exciting but check St Audeons on High St, they may have something more interesting. A visit to Marsh's library may also provide fruitfull as they may have descriptions of the topography of the city from earlier periods.

There may be some tunnelling in the docks from old rail lines, a record of LMS may help here. (Ask the guys in the Fry railway museum at Malahide Castle, they are quite likely to know).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Little island in Cork by the sea is riddled with tunnels, a housing estate built there, lost two houses due to the sinking of the houses into the ground. For a while the underground erosion caused a heavy truck which was parked to sink into the road, for awhile we as kids observed strange little anommally type holes appearing at random in the road which we dropped pebbles into and had to wait a long time before hearing the splash or hit if any.

Cork is an interesting place for tunnels.

When I moved to the city in 2002 the drainage scheme was still in action and I recall hearing that some disused railway tunnels were being used by the contractors to transport parts etc.

I lived in Midleton for a couple of years and recall the entire Main St being closed off due to a gas leak from a disused petrol station on the Western end of the main st which was considered dangerous due to the presence of a limestone cave structure under the main st (not man made tunnels sadly). Rumours abounded for a long time that the REAL reason for the Amgen abandonment of the site in Carrigtohill was due to similar limestone structures in that area (never actually been denied or confirmed). Of course the Glanmire tunnel is still alive and well and in use in Cork.

The only other tunnel I can think of is the old rail tunnel at the port in Dun Laoghaire. As far as I recall this was one of the older routes from the city - cannot remember which? I think it was already closed by the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭crushproof

shoegirl wrote: »
    Cork is an interesting place for tunnels.

The only other tunnel I can think of is the old rail tunnel at the port in Dun Laoghaire. As far as I recall this was one of the older routes from the city - cannot remember which? I think it was already closed by the 1970s.

Is that the tunnell that spurs off the mainline into the ferry terminal? Its not that long!! Although its meant to be pretty spooky inside the terminal where the trains used to stop...platforms and ticket booths are still there apparently.
    One rumour even goes as far as there being an old train there aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

I remember seeing something on RTE once about a tunnel leading from the quayside near the customs house up to the 'red light' district around the Five Lamps area (Monto?) so that naval officers could discretely go off to get their bit without showing a bad example to their crews. (Who presumably just headed up Amiens st without needing anyones example to follow)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jayj224

There is a tunnel under A+E Dept to the powerstation in James Hospital , Hasn't been mentioned

Kerry Houston, who did a thesis on St Patricks cathedral once told me he remembers (or somebody told him they remembered) flood waters covering the pews in the cathedral.
    I think this is unlikely - perhaps a roof leak?
    There may be some tunnelling in the docks from old rail lines, a record of LMS may help here.
    The LMS lands are at or about the same level of an exceptionally high tide and unlikely to have tunnels. There were very short tunnels from the quay sides under North Wall Quay to the warehouses and railway. there is also the Phoenix Park and Phibsborough Tunnels, several km away.
    When I moved to the city in 2002 the drainage scheme was still in action and I recall hearing that some disused railway tunnels were being used by the contractors to transport parts etc.
    No, they put the sewer along the alignment of the Cork Blackrock and Passage Railway.
    Rumours abounded for a long time that the REAL reason for the Amgen abandonment of the site in Carrigtohill was due to similar limestone structures in that area (never actually been denied or confirmed).
    Cork does have a special breed of gobshyte, doesn't it? ;)
    There were train services that connected with ferry arrivals/departures.
    Magpie! wrote: »
    I remember seeing something on RTE once about a tunnel leading from the quayside near the customs house up to the 'red light' district around the Five Lamps area (Monto?) so that naval officers could discretely go off to get their bit without showing a bad example to their crews. (Who presumably just headed up Amiens st without needing anyones example to follow)
    Most likely a sewer. What would Naval officers be doing at be Customs House? And why would they go up Amiens Street when Gardnier Street or Store Street would be much more direct? But most importantly of all, there was the slight matter of the Old Dock (between the Customs House and Busáras) blocking the route of any potential tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the old achill to westport rail liane has some tunnels on it.

not sure if they are accesible but you can see the enterance to onw if you drive on the westport to newport.

this links medntions them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnels_in_Ireland

Victor wrote: »
    .Most likely a sewer. What would Naval officers be doing at be Customs House? And why would they go up Amiens Street when Gardnier Street or Store Street would be much more direct? But most importantly of all, there was the slight matter of the Old Dock (between the Customs House and Busáras) blocking the route of any potential tunnel.

No need to get sarky.

I said NEAR the Customs House, not at it. Why wouldn't Naval officers be around the docklands? And I was obviously making a flippant comment about going up Amiens St, maybe there are more direct routes i don't know the are very well.

Anyway i wasn't claiming any definite knowledge on the subject, I just said I saw something on TV. where does all your knowledge come from oh wise one?

Maps. And actually studying holes in the ground instead of spreading urban myths as gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Nobody can escape the fortress of the moles OP... be sure to stay away from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

???

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

there's a tunnel in clonard, co meath from the old norman fort ( pudding hill) under the road to st. kiernans abbey .

In athlone army barracks, we have the nuclear bunker - i'd love to see that

there are loads of tunnels in the fire brigade trainning center beside the casino in marino. Some are used for training exercises

Hard Larry wrote: »
    There's tunnels under Collins Barracks in Dublin. (Might link with the Guinness ones maybe?) They might be out of bounds though as they go under Arbour Hill Prison too.

Magazine Fort in the Pheonix Park is rumoured to have tunnels under it.

wasnt there a tunnel/walkway under the liffey from Park Gate Street to Heuston Station?

Also I'm informed that there are tunnels running from the Old Irish Indo Printing Press on Prince Street that run under the Liffey.

And wasnt there something under the Pope's Cross?

there were changing rooms under the pope cross, all concreted over now, think there is a time capsule left in it though

i heard there was a secret spur line off the phoenx tunnel to under aras an uachtaran for the president- urban myth i reckon

Lots of cellars under the magazine fort but i couldn;'t find any tunnels when i was last in it :

another one- probably a myth
    from the freemasons place under kildare street to the dail/ national museum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

another one- probably a myth
    from the freemasons place under kildare street to the dail/ national museum

Should like b0lloz to me

ccd wrote: »
    Should like b0lloz to me

it probably is but before, the place was the dail it was owned by some big english noble " earl of kildare?" so it "might" be true, there is a museum in the freemason place, must go in and ask?

Victor wrote: »
    Maps. And actually studying holes in the ground instead of spreading urban myths as gospel.

I did no such thing! :eek:

I referenced my source - albeit a half remembered RTE documentary. All I asked was you do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

I think the dail used to be owned by the Royal Dublin Society. Who either sold it or gave it to the state and they then moved out to Ballsbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I haven't read all the thread but I was told that there is a tunnel running from the Castle on the hill in Castleknock College grounds down to the strawberry beds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement