Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Didn't read all the thread but there's a tunnel running from Booterstown beach up towards St. Andrews College. I remember a rugby play almost fell through a hole on the pitch. The tunnel was used for smuggling from what I heard.
    I came here to post this, there used to be a house where andrews is now. Apparently smugglers used to land on Booterstown beach and bring the goods up through the tunnel. It's gone now afaik, but its legacy remains in the form of terrible drainage problems for the pitch. Constantly waterlogged whenever there's any rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 retroireland

visited the phoenix park railway tunnel the other day, it was quite risky but it was definately a great place to explore. pictures at http://www.barelythereireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Theres a tunnel running under the iveagh gardens, I know as the dept of foreign affairs have some cables running through them. supposed to be very narrow... :eek:

cool thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

visited the phoenix park railway tunnel the other day, it was quite risky but it was definately a great place to explore. pictures at http://www.barelythereireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77

Really like the last two pics

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Theres a tunnel running under the iveagh gardens, I know as the dept of foreign affairs have some cables running through them. supposed to be very narrow... :eek:

cool thread!

Cool any idea what they were used for originally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

There is another tunnel underground in the Phoenix Park between St. Mary's Hospital and The Army Magazine I can show you if you want... PM me if you want more info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Not sure I was there when Brian Cowan was minister so there was no way it was an escape tunnel.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Isn't there a tunnel in the Guiness Brewery at St James Gate?

yes there is, it runs under james' st. There are also cable tunnels running under ringsend and poolbeg ESB stations.

OP, another good place to make enquiries is the pest control section of the Eastern Health Board, they regularlly treat the sewer system under the city.
    beans wrote: »
    Does anyone have any links to photos from inside the Magazine Fort in the Phoenix Park, or any information on the fort itself? Anyone ever been inside?

I would love to have a nosey around in there.

some pics taken inside of it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Elephant Monkey

starn wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'am in the process of writting a piece on hidden Ireland. So far I've visited the CIE tunnell under the Pheonix Park and spent a charming day wondering Dublins sewers. But thats been pretty much it. So Im looking for help uncovering some more hidden gems. I've spent some time in the catacombs underneath both Paris and Rome. While obiously not expecting to find anything like that underneath Dublin. I some there must be more beneath it then just a train tunnell

According to my art history days in school - Most of the squares in Dublin - Merrion, St. Stephen's, Fitzwilliam etc have tunnels coming from most of the georgian buildings that lead to an exit in the square/green this was used by the people that worked in the houses back in the day (nannies, cooks, cleaners etc) And in Georgian times it wasn't the thing for them to be seen coming in and out of the houses so tunnels were built. Another fact about the houses was the front of the house, the wall is built a bit higher so that you couldn't see the roof as it was considered common!

bring back the old times of petticoats, pocket watches and wenches with jugs of beer!

I think there is also a tunnel from Houston to Connolly!!! That i'm not sure of but i heard that its a rail tunnel!

And have a look at any of the quarries in Meath they go way down and across underground! Kinda scary that they hack away underground underneath us!

good luck with your research!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 googs

awesome thread... can't believe I read all this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

good read,

dont know if it already been posted, theres an interesting youtube video on the poodle rive here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ygnHSLKLY

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tonka

the longest rail tunnel in ireland i believe is the Lissumman rail tunnel outside Poyntzpass near Newry. Its disused now.
    "Originally planned to be 1604 yards long, it
    was extended to 1,759 yards, 1 yard short of 1 mile
    and the longest tunnel in Ireland. It was a considerable
    engineering operation which involved the sinking of
    6 shafts along the line and mining and boring through
    rock from each shaft. The deepest shaft was sunk to
    200 ft. and the debris was conveyed to the top in large
    buckets or skips."

Theres a fascinating article at http://www.poyntzpass.co.uk/history_lissummon_tunnel.htm

which includes riots, drunken navvies and police.

cool. im not sure how i did that to my last post.

any ug matters.

there are today (ones closing soon) 3 operating zinc mines in Ireland, Lisheen near Thurles, Galmoy nearby and Tara mines underneath Navan.

There is a gypsum mine in Kingscourt and a salt mine at Carrickfergus on the shores of Belfast Lough. these two supply the bulk of plaster products and road salt in Ireland.

there are heaps of disused undergound mine workings in Ireland and the Geological Surveys for Ireland and Northern Ireland have mapped most of them. I have played with an online map system on both surveys websites.

Last time i was in Dublin I saw shaft works for what I assume to be a service tunnel under the liffey on the south side of the Point near the eastlink toll plaza.

Theres a submerged "tunnel" being installed in Limerick.

The Belfast sewage project. Main contractors are Farren-MorganEst joint venture. their shaft sites are identifable by crawler cranes a passerby will notice a lot of activity but will never see anything been built haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Tonka wrote: »
    there are heaps of disused undergound mine workings in Ireland and the Geological Surveys for Ireland and Northern Ireland have mapped most of them. I have played with an online map system on both surveys websites.

Ive used the online mapping on the GSI website. Are the locations of mines actually logged on it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think there is also a tunnel from Houston to Connolly!!! That i'm not sure of but i heard that its a rail tunnel!

Will definately have been mentioned in the thread already; but yeah - it runs under the Phoenix Park; its still used. Rarely for passengers, mostly when theres bogball on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 paul4690

any body know of any tunnels under the phoenix park, im doin some research for a college assignment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Hmm, where did i find this thread!

Apparently there is a MASSIVE salt mine outside Belfast in Kilroot. Anyone know anything about it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Apparently there is a MASSIVE salt mine outside Belfast in Kilroot. Anyone know anything about it ?
    I've heard it has salt in it and it's massive. I read that on an internet forum so I don't know how reliable it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

yep i worked there for a short time.

dunno about MASSIVE. Tara mines in Navan has bigger sized chambers.

they mine conventional room and pillar. little water gets into the mine. so equipment that stays in the mine do not rust, wheras the landrovers and any other gear that goes in and out from the surface rot verily quickly.

check out http://www.irishsaltmining.com/ (click on the crystal of salt)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the tunnel from a tower, to the nearby lake is cool. It's located somewhere on the Dublin to Sligo route. Vague, but will get more info later. There's also a campsite on the grounds, along with lots of old buildings dotteed around it.

The tower used to be f**king massive, but I think there was a fire, and it was replaced by a smaller one. Don't know if there is access to the tower any more, though there used to be.

The tunnel is only a short one, but has many MANY rooms linked off it, which is cool.

/edit
    It's at Lough Key. Some pictures of the tower on here: http://franklludwig.com/xloughkey2.html The photo's look rather old, as I remember it looking better when I was last there (due to government investment, I think).

Tonka wrote: »
    yep i worked there for a short time.

dunno about MASSIVE. Tara mines in Navan has bigger sized chambers.

they mine conventional room and pillar. little water gets into the mine. so equipment that stays in the mine do not rust, wheras the landrovers and any other gear that goes in and out from the surface rot verily quickly.

check out http://www.irishsaltmining.com/ (click on the crystal of salt)

Do you know if they give tours of the chamber in Tara or the salt mine ?

Nope. no tours.

These are working industrial sites, unless you have valid excuse to come on site i think there would be little chance of getting a visit for rubbernecking porposes. These are not places for Joe Public to venture.

If you're interested in old mines check out The Mining Heritage Society of Ireland website .http://www.mhti.com/

there are a multitude of "chambers" at Tara mine, but they are short lived as they are quickly filled with engineered cemented backfill. The rooms at Kilroot salt mine are self supporting so do not need backfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I went to school in Synge Street in Dublin, which had a loada tunnels underground.

tried googlin for more info on them but just found this:
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=514

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Hi,
    I'am in the process of writting a piece on hidden Ireland. there must be more beneath it then just a train tunnell

I'd use the spellchecker when the piece is writtin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

and a time machine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement