Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Secret Passages undenath UCD

• 04-01-2007 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'am in the process of writting a piece on hidden Ireland. So far I've visited the CIE tunnell under the Pheonix Park and spent a charming day wondering Dublins sewers. As I understand it UCD has it's own secret subterrainin passages. If anyone could provide me with some details I'd been more then greatful. I can understand if anyone feels uncomfortable revealing any details on a public forum like this. So please feel free to PM me

Cheers

Starn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

wierd just mentioned this on AH, when you were asking about underground stuff. I know a fair bit about it, through both official and other means i won't go into here... nothing illegal, just a bit dodge all the same! PM me if you want more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

does Dublin have cool sewers like so many cities seem to? (ie Paris)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Garret wrote:
    does Dublin have cool sewers like so many cities seem to? (ie Paris)

I'am afraid not. But I'd still love to take a trip up the dodder

I vaguely remember reading a thread on boards before about them.To be honest.My friend brought me into them last year and it waas a let down.Its just a dark concrete hallway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Yeah I let my friend take me up the back passage once too, it wasnt as pleasant as I'd hoped..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

There was a thread a while back where someone posted about exploring the tunnels, i don't remember who it was, but they did up this map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

Umaro wrote:
    Yeah I let my friend take me up the back passage once too, it wasnt as pleasant as I'd hoped..
    Haha, i dont think he meant it that way ya sick minded person.
    Durrty!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A lot of the tunnels are actually service ducts for stuff like heating (according to official sources). There are a number of entrances - many are easy to spot, but all are locked securely. I would not be surprised if there are not silent PIR-type alarms down there so be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

I'd love to go down there! does anybody know if many people have been down there? is it true that they were unlocked at one stage?

Steak wrote:
    I'd love to go down there! does anybody know if many people have been down there? is it true that they were unlocked at one stage?

lots i'd say. Apparently loads of the doors down there have keys hidden around them somewhere.

• Advertisement

gerry87 wrote:
    Apparently loads of the doors down there have keys hidden around them somewhere.
    nice! I might take a trip down there some night. it's all safe and stuff yeah!?

Steak wrote:
    nice! I might take a trip down there some night. it's all safe and stuff yeah!?

aside from the monster, all safe. Just bring him some chocolate and he'll leave you alone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just a quick note that if services do catch you down there you'll want to have a pretty good reason - a guy i know got in serious trouble (i.e. the guards being involved) for being caught in a college building which was closed, never mind a sealed off tunnel.

If you still want to go down there, don't go on your own. Stay away from any electrical boxes and/or heating pipes - it'll be damp down there and you don't want to be burned or electrocuted. Ensure that the door you enter by won't be closed accidentally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnjinks

Yes they are service tunnels and I have been down them recently.They are well lit and are quite warm due to heating pipes. It is possible to enter them beside the quinn school or the science building. There are even sockets down there. It is possible to walk to clonskeagh from the quinn school underground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

gerry87 wrote:
    There was a thread a while back where someone posted about exploring the tunnels, i don't remember who it was, but they did up this map.

finally my curiosity has been satisfied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Nice to see some good old fashioned UE has found its way to Dublin. Can you PM me details about where you will be publishing the piece? Dublin, of course, has one of the worst reputations regarding UE from my experience, and over the years I have only seen one really interesting photo journal of an Irish place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Umaro wrote:

hee hee

gerry87 wrote:
    aside from the monster, all safe. Just bring him some chocolate and he'll leave you alone.
    sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Umaro wrote:
    Check my sig.
    Let's hope that your g/f isn't on boards.....

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I can't believe this.

Considering it's an expellable misdemeanour to be in the tunnels at any stage, why is it that people periodically come onto this site and start talking themselves up as having been down there.

THE UCD AUTHORITIES READ THIS WEBSITE AND TEND TO FOLLOW UP ON STUFF PEOPLE SAY HERE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Which people will then deny. 'I was only boasting loike'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Considering it's an expellable misdemeanour to be in the tunnels at any stage,
    You're hardly going to tell them that you attend UCD.

You're hardly going to tell them that you attend UCD.
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Sangre wrote:
    Which people will then deny. 'I was only boasting loike'.
    And the 'loike' will actually make that believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Check my sig.
    Let's hope that your g/f isn't on boards.....

Good grief! It would appear that my perfectly innocent remark about my back entrance adventure has been taken wildly out of context!!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No, not at all. It's not even the slightest giveaway that you're posting in the UCD forum.

Either way, it's illegal. I'm sure the Gardaí would be brought in for a non-UCD-goer. Such as Sangre. Non?

Either way, it's illegal. I'm sure the Gardaí would be brought in for a non-UCD-goer. Such as Sangre. Non?
    Ha ha, not before you had legged it!

Ha ha, not before you had legged it!
    You must be so strong, able to carry away all the services people who had caught you. Unless they used boards to find you, in which case they would be able to figure out where you live. Are you strong enough to carry your house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Apparently all the easily accessible entrances are locked now ¬_¬

• Advertisement

You must be so strong, able to carry away all the services people who had caught you. Unless they used boards to find you, in which case they would be able to figure out where you live. Are you strong enough to carry your house?
    Did I miss something or is it standard practice to try to 'carry' people you are running away from?

Oh wait, it was just a pathetic attempt at being snide.

Advertisement