Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Passages undenath UCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was referring to the fact that the services guys that had caught you in the tunnels would hang onto you. It amuses me that you think that you can run away from people within an enclosed area. Where all but a few exits are locked. Fleeing from people who would know the territory better than you.
    But no, you are such a daredevil not only think that you could avoid them where they have every advantage, but you also want to tell them what you did, and make it easy for them to find you, by posting it on a public board.
    In war, you would be what we call a "human shield" or "meat sack".
    Now, for a completely random image

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Breadmonkey, I'm going to put in a request that the admins change your name to "GingerBreadmonkey". Then your cries that "they can't catch me" will have an appropriate pantomime-esque gloss that will fill me with much mirth. /Comic-Book Guy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

On a serious note the college have/will bring in the feds if any alarm is triggered, because they don't know whether it's a ucd student or not. And very likely they will get the guards to deal with the matter. Just a word of warning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

THE UCD AUTHORITIES READ THIS WEBSITE AND TEND TO FOLLOW UP ON STUFF PEOPLE SAY HERE!

Do they really?That would be so cool if Brady actually mentioned panda and the boards.ie crew at his UCD buisness meeetings........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

You really would be surprised by who lurks on these boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Haha, The_Minister must be the one trawling UCD boards to infiltrate the student population. Nothing else can really explain why he's such a sap.

Hulla,
    If you could ask the admin to change my name to I_LOVE_THE_MINISTER, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

there's no way services could catch you down there, all you'd have to do is close your eyes and mouth and you'd be shrouded in darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I think you might be getting confused between the tunnels and an ostrich farm.

panda100 wrote:
    Do they really?That would be so cool if Brady actually mentioned panda and the boards.ie crew at his UCD buisness meeetings........
    It was mentioned at one of the welcome meeting things for first years.
    Haha, The_Minister must be the one trawling UCD boards to infiltrate the student population. Nothing else can really explain why he's such a sap.
    Ahem. The UCD staff READ these boards, we have no evidence that they post on them. To my knowledge, which dwarfs yours, the UCD admin has never set up a student. They merely read the boards to find out what we are saying, what is going on in the union, who we are bitching about (*Cough* Ferdi *Cough*). Why you think that the UCD Admin would waste there time insulting, or talking to, someone like you is beyond me. Does it boost your self-esteem to imagine that some random distant people with the power to push paper think you worthy of notice? I hope not, because they don't. How do I know? Because so far you have said nothing truely worthy of notice on this board or any other.
    As for me being a sap, all I can say is that if that was the best you could come up with, then I imagine that you had to look up the spelling.
    Hulla,
    If you could ask the admin to change my name to I_LOVE_THE_MINISTER, that would be great.
    It's amazing. I feel like an archaeologist, studying primordial comebacks before wit was invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Wasn't breadmonkey the guy who quit this board, insulted everyone, threw the ultimate hissy fit and then promised never to coming back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Either you two chill-out or you're taking a long timeout in the corner.

Umaro that was happycrackhead afakik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Umaro wrote:
    Wasn't breadmonkey the guy who quit this board, insulted everyone, threw the ultimate hissy fit and then promised never to coming back?
    How dare you!

It was indeed Mr. Crackhead. He hasn't been around recently.:D

I'll take a deep breath and a cold shower.

Hey Fun Boys!! Get a Room!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

griffdaddy wrote:
    there's no way services could catch you down there, all you'd have to do is close your eyes and mouth and you'd be shrouded in darkness

Yeah cos when you have your eyes and mouth opened its really bright and they might see you:confused::D . Like this: 46.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

starn wrote:
    Hi,
    I'am in the process of writting a piece on hidden Ireland. So far I've visited the CIE tunnell under the Pheonix Park and spent a charming day wondering Dublins sewers. As I understand it UCD has it's own secret subterrainin passages. If anyone could provide me with some details I'd been more then greatful. I can understand if anyone feels uncomfortable revealing any details on a public forum like this. So please feel free to PM me

Cheers

Starn

Why don't you just ask someone in services about the tunnels? Say your doing a story, you never know your luck. I wouldn't advise sneaking in , ie trespassing, and then writing a story about it.

On a relevant note there are several tunnels in Galway:
      NUIG also has similar tunnel to UCD. I know some people who have been in these. Once again you could ask the NUIG college authorities for access.
      There is a tunnel going from one of the convents in the city to a national school in which the nuns teach. I think its the Mercy Convent, or possibly Presentation Convent.
      There is also a tunnel which formed part of the Clifden railway line. It should run from the trainstation under the city to a bridge over the river Corrib. You can still see the remains of the railway bridge, just upriver of the salmon weir bridge.

I don't know of the state of the last two. Afaik they are both sealed, so access may be a problem.
    Good luck with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

It's a lot like the original Half-Life down there.

... Why you think that the UCD Admin would waste there time insulting, or talking to, someone like you is beyond me. Does it boost your self-esteem to imagine that some random distant people with the power to push paper think you worthy of notice? I
    It's amazing. I feel like an archaeologist, studying primordial comebacks before wit was invented.
    I love you man

panda100 wrote:
    Yeah cos when you have your eyes and mouth opened its really bright and they might see you:confused::D
    hahaha, if there was something like that down there even the biggest, baddest, blackest member of services wouldn't venture down. Actually on a side note, has anyone else noticed that recently services seem to be wandering campus in ethnic squadrons? i've seen one with four black guys, one with four polish guys and then another one with the usual irish guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Yes, how odd that is.

I could just imagine the craic a Polish, a Nigerian and an Irish guy would have walking around for hours on end.

• Advertisement

at least they could come up with some jokes about walking into bars:D
    i kinda phrased that badly in my last post though, it's not that they're from the same place or anything, it's just that it looks like they're grouped according to how they look. (When i said Poland i meant anywhere in eastern europe by the way, i still can't distinguish between Polish and Estonian etc.) It's so hard to describe, you'll see what i mean when you go backthough! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I believe that's what's commonly known as a "ZING!" Breadmonkey. Sucks to be you!

The VP for students and the head of services, amongst others, have acted on things mentioned on Boards because they were mentioned on Boards. Be smart - this isn't a private playground, it's a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

The entrances in the Arts building were certainly not locked in the early-mid 1990s. A friend of mine, ahem, was a student there at the time and took a wander down the steps near Theatre M/N. The steps over beside Theatre O are part of the same network.

In Theatre L, and I think some of the other Theatres, there's a couple of doors down by the lectern - one either side: they link into the same passageways. The passageways follow the curves of the theatres and there's a lot of wiring and a/c or heating ducting around. Apparently.

The story was always that they were put in as service tunnels but also to allow police or whatever to move around the campus. The thinking was supposedly that they, like the steps (around the lake, and the Arts and Admin buildings), the covers over the walkways from the restaurant down to the library, and the lake itself, were all part of the campus's "anti-riot" design. (Bear in mind it was planned and laid out in the late 1960s and early 1970s, when students actually did things like riot.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The entrances in the Arts building were certainly not locked in the early-mid 1990s. A friend of mine, ahem, was a student there at the time and took a wander down the steps near Theatre M/N. The steps over beside Theatre O are part of the same network.

Oh is that the tunnels everyone's talking about?

I've been down there. My dad used to take us on adventures down there when I was small. I had so much fun down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Pythia wrote:
    Oh is that the tunnels everyone's talking about?

I've been down there. My dad used to take us on adventures down there when I was small. I had so much fun down there.

In all fairness that sounds really dodgey

The entrances in the Arts building were certainly not locked in the early-mid 1990s.
    Locked now.

The enterance I think most ppl know near the quinn were locked shortly after holl'ween. First with plastic ring things then with a proper lock and chain.
    The thinking was supposedly that they, like the steps (around the lake, and the Arts and Admin buildings), the covers over the walkways from the restaurant down to the library, and the lake itself, were all part of the campus's "anti-riot" design. (Bear in mind it was planned and laid out in the late 1960s and early 1970s, when students actually did things like riot.)

The speculation makes sense, but UCD was designed beforethe riots you are talking about.

If you look at the arts block from belgrove, you see how the steps around campus fit into the larger arcitectural paradigm. Plus its nice that the ground is more or less level with a few steps than big slopes.

The tunnels have the same steps and doors every now and then that make them unsuitable to getting around fast.
    They're also very narrow.

Ever notice UCD has no over head power cables. The tunnels contain power cables, pipes, access to boiler rooms etc.
    They have a mundane practical purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Het-Field wrote:
    In all fairness that sounds really dodgey

Probably does. But when you're aged 5 - 10, UCD is really great for exploring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

The tunnels contain power cables, pipes, access to boiler rooms etc.
    They have a mundane practical purpose.
    Same as the ones in NUIG.
    When you have a huge site is saves a lot of money to do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

In Theatre L, and I think some of the other Theatres, there's a couple of doors down by the lectern - one either side: they link into the same passageways. The passageways follow the curves of the theatres and there's a lot of wiring and a/c or heating ducting around. Apparently.
    Are you sure that those fire escapey tunnels (also used for getting guests at debates into lecture theatres without having to come down the regular steps) are the same as the underground ones underneath the rest of the campus though?

I know for sure - having read it somewhere officially - that there's underground tunnels connecting all of the original Belfield buildings. Granted, why they would need one between Arts and Tierney I don't know. Especially when there's an overhead tunnel too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Are you sure that those fire escapey tunnels (also used for getting guests at debates into lecture theatres without having to come down the regular steps) are the same as the underground ones underneath the rest of the campus though?

I know for sure - having read it somewhere officially - that there's underground tunnels connecting all of the original Belfield buildings. Granted, why they would need one between Arts and Tierney I don't know. Especially when there's an overhead tunnel too.

They must be pretty big tunnels, as they managed to fit Jodie Marsh and her big boobs through them. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Jodie Marsh's big boobs ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (que drooling)

Advertisement