Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit annoyed and inconvienced!

Options
  • 04-01-2007 1:02am

I've been renting a place since Sept with two other guys’

The landlord is pretty sound regarding pretty much everything including my tendency to forget to do stupid things, my nocturnal habits ;) and my many parties

I assumed a long time ago that he's secretly living somewhere else since he's there even less than me or he lives part time at his parents or something! but I never said anything because in fairness a semi absent landlord ain't a bad thing!

I moved in a hurry and the rent was agreed at 450 a month's bill weren't discussed but I assumed I would be made aware of the cost ahead of time etc like most normal people!

But months went by and by and by! No bill's I thought Jesus this guy's does not appear loaded by no mean's to be paying them but maybe the bills were included!

So anyway I moved in on the 8th of Sept and today he left a note for me saying I owed him 170-(very reasonable IMO for 4 month's bill's) but still he wants it ASAP as from what I seen there are some overdue!

Now I just paid 450 rent! It’s probably the worst ****ing month of the year for this to happen and I'm doing contract work at the moment so money for my next month's bill's etc is all accounted for and owed out! Just barely!!
    Isn't this a bit unorthodox and all! Now I would talk to him it’s just for some reason as sound as he is he just make’s me nervous and also we are never in at the same time! I will text or email though!!
    I mean I don't want him getting nervous that I'm not going to pay and do a legger or something but I can't pay till the 13th

Any advice at all on how to handle this situation (or even word it) with the greatest of ease!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No woories here at all

I used to be a landlord that did this , in short hes been forgetting to pay the bills. So all off a sudden he's had a attack of efficency. As its January and he thinks he is broke.

Simply send him and email saying
    "Hi got your note , unfortunatly im a bit strapped after christmas will have that for you on the * day in Febuary." Be sure to give a date you will pay.

If he does not give you a bill you cant pay it ,

The only thing that saved me was when i got a bill I halved it and stuck it on the kitchen table till i returned and found the cash. Ask him to simply do this every time a bill comes in.

A lot of live in landlords are just blokes hanging on to property by their fingernails, he needs you so much more than you need him. However 170 for 4 months bills you must be like super cute or something thats a steal ...!

Let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pay him something now and explain that you don't have all of it, but that you will get the rest to him when you get paid. Explain that waiting this long isn't fair and that he can't just demand it "just like that" after waiting so long.

yeah he did that 170 is my share of I dont know how many bill's , they were all there anyway!

Yes I am cute by the way:rolleyes: :D , nah I found that reasonable enough for the bill's :D

when you did this how soon did expect payment??? I just got the feeling from the way he did it , he want's the money:eek: last week:rolleyes:
    but seriously who expect's that in January???:confused:
    Zambia232 wrote:
    No woories here at all

I used to be a landlord that did this , in short hes been forgetting to pay the bills. So all off a sudden he's had a attack of efficency. As its January and he thinks he is broke.

Simply send him and email saying
    "Hi got your note , unfortunatly im a bit strapped after christmas will have that for you on the * day in Febuary." Be sure to give a date you will pay.

If he does not give you a bill you cant pay it ,

The only thing that saved me was when i got a bill I halved it and stuck it on the kitchen table till i returned and found the cash. Ask him to simply do this every time a bill comes in.

A lot of live in landlords are just blokes hanging on to property by their fingernails, he needs you so much more than you need him. However 170 for 4 months bills you must be like super cute or something thats a steal ...!

Let me know how you get on

whoo crisis averted just got a mail after I sent one asking when he expected payment!

hi CSG,
    don't panic over the bills I can pay them and u can sort me out later. I know its the week after xmas!

Its no prob for a few weeks,
    N

:)
    so he is a nice guy, I can fully sort him out by next week then!:D

See there you go like i said no drama ...:rolleyes:

Bills where the pain of my landlord life , I forgot you also had others in the house so 170 is actually a fair price. Despite your publicised cuteness :)

I normally expected the money soon enough if I had the bill down on time if it was a large amount I waited longer. Especially if it was my fault for leaving it. He sounds like a very nice bloke all right its a good thing if you have an absentee landlord.

If you want to make your life really easy , set up internet bank account access and pay your rent by standing order and have his account set up so you can deposit money on line then you can always check wether you paid or not and he does not need to worry about collecting cash.

By the way is this house near the city or is it suburbs as that rent is a little steep..

• Advertisement

It's beside the end of the m50

On the southside then, ah I see well then your probably ok ...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

hi CSG,
    don't panic over the bills I can pay them and u can sort me out later. I know its the week after xmas!

Its no prob for a few weeks,
    N
    Does you landlord really refer to you as coolsmileygirl or is it selective editing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

delly wrote:
    Does you landlord really refer to you as coolsmileygirl or is it selective editing?

I'd imagine its the latter :)

delly wrote:

Be more worried the landlord calls himself "N"

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote:
    Be more worried the landlord calls himself "N"

are you having a laugh ? No he doesn't refer to me as CSG:D :rolleyes:

It was selective editing on my part and his name begins with an N

Advertisement