Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS windows 2003

Options
  • 04-01-2007 1:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong,

im trying to setup a domain controller at home, im have problems with the dns

ive set the domain as business.local and just wanna make my normal pc apart of the domain to play around with,

i can connect to the server via a belkin router, im using static ip addresses and i have both computers pointing to the server for dns which i think i have setup right but obviously not ?

anyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Do you have the new 2003 box's IP address as the DNS IP address on the new client?

(Assuming you installed the primary DNS server on the same box as the 2K3 server?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

i did yes it s set to 192.168.2.8 i could even resolve host names from both systems, i just dont understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

stupid question.

but have you actually ran through dcpromo and setup AD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

ntlbell wrote:
    stupid question.

but have you actually ran through dcpromo and setup AD?
    In which case you'll need DNS setup.

Is DNS running and configured on the 2003 box?
    From the client can you resolve business.local using nslookup? (does nslookup respond with a DNS server?)
    Is there anything between the client and the server that may stop DNS requests?

ive disabled ddns in the belkin router and pointed it to the 2k3 server insead so i dont think thats an issue i havent done the nslookup for business.local yet but will do thonight, also i have done the dcpromo thing!!

• Advertisement

azzeretti wrote:
    In which case you'll need DNS setup.

Is DNS running and configured on the 2003 box?
    From the client can you resolve business.local using nslookup? (does nslookup respond with a DNS server?)
    Is there anything between the client and the server that may stop DNS requests?

What I meant was. did he go through the setup of dcpromo.

DNS doesn't have to be setup to _run_ dcpromo.

ive disabled ddns in the belkin router and pointed it to the 2k3 server insead so i dont think thats an issue i havent done the nslookup for business.local yet but will do thonight, also i have done the dcpromo thing!!

Why do you keep mentioned the belkin?

This has nothing to do with DNS in win2k3

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I assume you start without DNS installed and without have AD installed.
    1. set the w2k3 box to use its own IP as the dns server.
    2. Run dcpromo and fill in all the details like domain name etc... It will ask you during the install if you want to setup dns, say yes to this.
    3. On the client PC set the DNS to the IP of the w2k3 box.
    Try and join it to the domain using the full DNS name of the domain.
    Should work.
    Your DNS server should be able to resolve internet DNS names also since it will use the root name servers.

Bricks, i did start from a clean slate, used the wizzard to install active directory and dns,

im not clear on some of the concepts of dns like when it starts mentioning zones and root dns, i basically pointed atlot of things to eircoms dns servers and eventally i got it to kinda work, ie resolving names with nslookup but i cant connect to the domain controller from my client pc which is my issue,

sorry for mentioning belkin router!,

Big question, what ip address do i enter to copy root hitns from ? eircoms dns ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The error displayed would suggest that you are trying to forward dns alteration requests (which occur when the clients attempt to register to the domain) to your ISP.

Just to check.
    The ISP's DNS address is set ONLY in the forwarders tab of the Server's DNS control panel, nowhere else, correct?
    If you run ipconfig /all on a client, then it's one and only DNS entry is that of the domain server.

On the Server, the DNS server of it's network interface is set to 127.0.0.1 (the localhost ip)?

Are the Client PC's using DHCP or static network settings?

You should not need to manually set the root hints section of DNS.

You mentioned that you could resolve hostnames from both server and client, but didn't specify which hostnames. Could you resolve the ip of the server's hostname from the client?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Redo it and remove any references to any other network (eircom or whoever). Create a forward lookup Zone (it's a simple enough wizard). If need be stop and then restart the Netlogon service on the server to re-register the servers service records (with itself in this case). Make the router your default gateway but your server the DNS of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Can you answer the Qs posted above and also run Ipconfig/all and show the results.

If you need any more specifics on any of the above or if you are unsure on how to proceed please ask :)

Also just to verify what Server version you are running

Also you seem to be trying to get your PC and Server working at the same time for the moment, just work on the server once that is complete its very easy to set your PC to use the Server DNS.

Thanks for the last 3 posts lads, ive got my head around the basics now, ie; got forward pointing dns pin'd down more or less everything is working and running smootly,

so thats that end sorted, now im no to dhcp server and exchange, as you see in the jpg i have iquala.info as a FQRD fully qualified registered domain (see i can learn :rolleyes: ) and have exchange installed, is there any prerequisites i need to know or do for either?, as im only floot-ing about and havnt managed to actually get either working, i know i have to point the mx records of my domain to my server firstly for exchange

Static m.e ive attached the screen shot you were looking for,

server version is sp1 r2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Don't see much that can go wrong setting up a basic office dhcp setup under SBS 2003 R2.

Exchange. Well... It helps to read the manuals on the CD and the e2k3AdminGuide on the website. Also needed a kick or two to start sending queued outgoing mails, when I set one up.

So you'll have to be specific.
    Any issues in the event log for either service.

i dont suppose some evening if i setup vnc or something youd connect in and go trough the basics of exchange, if i had the dns, fqdn, active directory and the rest setup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What would you learn from that?
    i.e. I can't see the point in messing around with something if it's not to learn from it, and getting someone else to do it for you is pointless in that regard.

to be honest, i havent a whole lot of patience and looking at something and not being able to make head nor take of it can be a waste of time, where as if i see something being done then i can play around with it from there and save a whole lot of time...

just got the dhcp setup now and ive got it giving out ip`s, but what about dns and the default gateway, see this server is the dns and the router is the gateway, i have given the other machine the ip but its not connecting to the net unless i assign its dns address field manualy?, can this be done automatic like the ip is ?

Thanks

just got the dhcp setup now and ive got it giving out ip`s, but what about dns and the default gateway, see this server is the dns and the router is the gateway, i have given the other machine the ip but its not connecting to the net unless i assign its dns address field manualy?, can this be done automatic like the ip is ?

Thanks

Seriously

Read a friggin few docs please.

DHCP 2k3 howto

I wish someone would invent a way to search the internet....

Thanks for that ntlbell, i dont suppose you have any notes for exchange 2007 ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the ntlbell, i dont suppose you have any notes for exchange 2007 ?

Yes I have tons.

Exchange notes

Advertisement