Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu WPA_GUI WiFi

• 04-01-2007 1:42am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.jeremychapman.info/cms/WPA-on-Ubuntu-Dapper-6.06-LTS
    This is a pretty simple way to do it, the 'right' way, and one that works properly.

1. Get your WIFI card driver installed. I had to use DriverLoader to load the windows drivers for the rather substandard built in Broadcom card in my laptop.
    2. Edit /etc/network/interfaces and find the section relating to your Wifi card. Mine was given eth1 by driverloader.
    * cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.old
    * nano /etc/network/interfaces
    o add (under iface eth1 inet dhcp):
    + wpa-ssid yourssid
    + wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    + wpa-passphrase yourpassphrase
    + #wpa-driver yourdriver #(this is optional, mine works fine without it)
    3. /etc/init.d/networking restart

Now wasn't that easier than using wpasupplicant? It should start automatically on boot, and everyone should be happy. Why Ubuntu couldn't integrate this into the GUI is beyond me, and I won't take the time to find out :) It works, I am happy.

EDIT 08/26/2006

My new instructions: to skip all this file editing and mucking around.

1. Install ubuntu
    2. use a network cable if possible (if not, do what I said above to get online and follow the rest of the steps.Afterwards, restore your /etc/network/interfaces to default - 'cp /etc/network/interfaces.old /etc/network/interfaces')
    3. Add repositories for universe and multiverse
    4. sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    5. Click the little icon that appears in your taskbar
    6. Choose your network
    7. Enter WPA key
    8. Surf

I'm getting there slowly - posting the link for my own reference

all I have to do is get the Eircom netopia and Ubuntu talking - but it don't seem to like the 64 character hex phrase :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

is wep not an option? have you tried networkmanager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

I had majour problems with WPA-PSK TKIP and an RT2500 card(never solved it and im too paranoid for wep)

Moved to an Atheros card using madwifi drivers and no problems since

this may save you some time if you like gui stuff handles wpa_supplicant sites down so i cant check ndis wrapper support
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/net/wifi-radar

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

djmarkus wrote:
    is wep not an option? have you tried networkmanager?
    WEP works fine
    But WEP is not an option.

Advertisement