Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Vodafone 3G ?.

Options
  • 04-01-2007 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all.

Is it possible to do a direct connection between my laptop and my wife’s one, and allow her to share my internet connection ?.

I bought a crossover cable so she can directly connect to my laptop, and we can share files. But for the life of me I cannot get my Vodafone 3G internet to be shared across to her laptop.

Is this possible ?.

Kind Regards.
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

that's "Internet Connection Sharing", it's on the Advanced tab of your connection properties.

Or have you done that already and you have another problem?

Be more specific on what's not working and what you have tried so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tubbritt

Hello.

Yeah, I have Internet Connection Sharing enabled on my laptop.
    I also have the firewall turned off of both PC’s. They are also set to MSHOME, and the IP addresses are also setup correctly.

I can share files between the two laptops, so I know the connection is working. I just cant get the Internet connection of my laptop to be detected on my wife’s laptop.

My one is XP Home Edition, and her one is XP Media Centre Edition.

Kind Regards.
    James.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi Tubbritt,
    you need to tell your wife's laptop to use yours as its default gateway.
    If you don't it will just treat other IP addresses as unreachable.

Under her network settings, add your IP address to the gateway box,
    and add the DNS servers your laptop is using to her settings also.

Hope that points you in the right direction.
    Somebody else may be able to give you the windows specific clicks
    if necessary :-)

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I think vodafone are doing a wifi access point that takes the 3g card ( this was the diy version : http://www.stompboxnetworks.com/ )

Hi Guys.

I’m afraid I cannot get this going here. I’ve done everything that was suggested, and my wife’s laptop will not pick up the Vodafone Internet connection.

Yet if I physically connect a phone line to my laptop and use Dialup, her laptop picks up that.

As for buying a router. The only one I can find that supports the Vodafone card that that would allow you to use up to 5 PC’s on the network is UMTS and not HSDPA. Meaning it’s already out of date

3g_utms_router_1.jpg

http://vodafone.misco.co.uk/3G-UMTS-router/

Regards.
    James.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys.

Just a quick note to say that I purchased that 3G router in the end because I found out that Linksys released a firmware that added HSDPA.

The installation was a doodle, and it only took a few minutes to get the network up and secured.

Both laptops worked perfectly on the network straight away. Not a single problem at all.

So… it’s a fine piece of kit, well worth checking out if your looking to share your 3G connection wirelessly.

Kind Regards.
    James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

Tubbritt wrote:
    Hi Guys.

Just a quick note to say that I purchased that 3G router in the end because I found out that Linksys released a firmware that added HSDPA.

The installation was a doodle, and it only took a few minutes to get the network up and secured.

Both laptops worked perfectly on the network straight away. Not a single problem at all.

So… it’s a fine piece of kit, well worth checking out if your looking to share your 3G connection wirelessly.

Kind Regards.
    James.

can you post up the link for that firmware?

also whuch card you using the older options card or the huawei?

assume it is the huawei for HSDPA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

What firmware version do you have? Mine is v199.8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

how do you find out the firm on the router?

Also if anyone is interested this router works with the huawei E630 from Three, with speeds of up to 3.6Mbps, the E620 which vodafone were giving out has a max of 1.8Mbps, might be worth looking into for those on Voda when they upgrade their network to 3.6

Hello.
    can you post up the link for that firmware?

Yes, no problem.
    http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=UK%2FLayout&cid=1129319258422&packedargs=sku%3D1133203163100&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
    What firmware version do you have? Mine is v199.8

Same here now, but it didn’t arrive that way. I can’t remember what version it originally was though.
    how do you find out the firm on the router?

Just enter in the IP address of the router into your browser and look at the top leftt of the screen. It will be listed there in very small text.
    Also if anyone is interested this router works with the huawei E630 from Three, with speeds of up to 3.6Mbps, the E620 which vodafone were giving out has a max of 1.8Mbps, might be worth looking into for those on Voda when they upgrade their network to 3.6

I’m not sure this will work with 3. As far as I know it’s locked to the Vodafone Network.

Have a read here for example.
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=129557

With the current Firmware, I believe it also only supports cards up as far as the E620 / 1.8Mbps. I assume when vodafone increase speeds, firmware’s will be released.

Kind Regards.
    James.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Tubbritt I have it working with both the E620 and E630 and with the Three Ireland sim in both cards with no problems, the router is not locked to anything (well mine is not) it does come with Vodafone branding on the box but thats all.........

Hello.

That’s good news, but I was doing some research on this today and it seems a few people who purchased the router from Expansys in the UK received network locked units.

That said, there is a way around this.

If you go to the Linksys website in Australia, you can download the current firmware there that does not contain branding. It basically flashes your router free.

The only catch is that Vodofone Ireland doesn’t come up in the drop down menus when trying to configure the router. You have to enter in the details yourself manually. Which is not a problem anyway as it only takes a few seconds.

So I guess the bottom line here is. Even if you get one that is locked, it can be easily unlocked.

How is your one performing on the 3 network at the higher speeds ?.

Where I am ( Kilmeaden Co Waterford) I’m not getting any higher than 40KB/s off hs.vodafone.ie

Regards.
    James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

Tubbritt wrote:
    Hello.

Yes, no problem.
    http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=UK%2FLayout&cid=1129319258422&packedargs=sku%3D1133203163100&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Same here now, but it didn’t arrive that way. I can’t remember what version it originally was though.

Just enter in the IP address of the router into your browser and look at the top leftt of the screen. It will be listed there in very small text.

I’m not sure this will work with 3. As far as I know it’s locked to the Vodafone Network.

Have a read here for example.
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=129557

With the current Firmware, I believe it also only supports cards up as far as the E620 / 1.8Mbps. I assume when vodafone increase speeds, firmware’s will be released.

Kind Regards.
    James.

thanks for that....i work for vodafone and we were told that there was no firmware update available for the littlebox....will test it myself tomorow when i get in and see what the story is with it as regards testing etc...i have had alot of queries regarding using the router for HSDPA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Advertisement