Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband without a phone line

Options
  • 04-01-2007 4:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

hello!
    My brother is looking to get broadband but he has no phoneline and doesnt want to get one he needs(wants) broadband weve looked at some packages and the best ones seem to be the 3G however i could find little info about these online i want info on what companies supply it and pages with packages.............its also handy so he can use it in the car
    he is living in gorey county wexford

3G isnt his only option its just a possibility but since hes renting it would be desirable not to put an aerial/sattelite on the house
    so opinions on what would be best for him on a postcard :P
    thanks
    sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An aerial for Fixed Wireless broadband can be unobtrusive and easy removed. In some cases work simply sitting on a window sill.

The 3G packages is only just broadband speed, but not broadband latency (pings) though better than Satellite.

"3", O2 and Vodaphone for the 3G packages.

See sticky for fixed wireless suppliers.

Even with a phone line less than even chance of BB working!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Depending where in Gorey he is, there are at least 3 wireless providers (for 2 of them I use the term lightly). Again, depending on his line of sight to the node he may get away with a small gable end panel (maybe 1x1 in size).

Be very careful of who you go with, make sure they are the licensed carriers and not the "cowboys" who are banging up unlicensed gear and bottlenecking them back to their house somewhere!!

I have pretty much dealt with all of them, so I can advise if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

azzeretti wrote:
    Depending where in Gorey he is, there are at least 3 wireless providers (for 2 of them I use the term lightly). Again, depending on his line of sight to the node he may get away with a small gable end panel (maybe 1x1 in size).

Be very careful of who you go with, make sure they are the licensed carriers and not the "cowboys" who are banging up unlicensed gear and bottlenecking them back to their house somewhere!!

I have pretty much dealt with all of them, so I can advise if needed.

well if you know gorey all that well hes living at the bottom side of the town park about 100 metres from the enterance

tell me more about these cowboys.......permanet looks good only install charge is quite high and hes living on a musicians salary :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Permanet would be the obvious option - they are by far the cheapest install charge by the way. The others charge up to €300 installation. I think Permnanet are around €140 or there abouts.

From there you can also get a good line of sight to tara hill. There is another provider there too.

To be honest, all the other installers, except Permnanet, are using the unlisenced range. You could buy the gear to connect to them yourself and install it for less than €120. But they really can't gurantee a good solid link (other providers that is).
    Especially living in and about a town there would certainly be access points close by that may interfer (I live in the sticks and I had to change channel on my node because a users neighbour had some rouge device wrecking his connection!)

I would recommend Permanet - the support service can be touch and go though, but a there system is more robust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

which is the supplier in tara hill? is he licensed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hammy140

vodafone on the main street sell the 3g modem, class!

Advertisement