Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bins!

Options
  • 04-01-2007 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi Guys, quick question to who all those living in apartments in Charlesland. What is the story with the bins? Who collects them? Where do we leave them? What day is the collection? Do the management company not supply us with wheelie bins, if not why? Please let me know, my rubbish pile is building up! Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

It all depends on whether your in a house or Apt. Houses you organise your own collection ie greenstar or eurowaste. Apt the bins should be provided

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

LMC wrote:
    It all depends on whether your in a house or Apt. Houses you organise your own collection ie greenstar or eurowaste. Apt the bins should be provided

Nope, apartments have to sort their own bins out as well (we certainly did anyway). Our contract was changed just before we moved in, and we got about €50 off our management fee to go against the several hundred euros it cost to get Greenstar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Just wondering since it's in a Bin thread where I can get the tags for the Wheelie bins. (The orange Tags)

I normally get them from the shop facing the dart station but they seem to run out of them fairly quickly.

Anyone know where else they sell them?
    I've been to Supervalu, Centra, Esso and Spar in Bray and no joy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

Eoin can you let me know where you buy the bags? do you just leave them outside your door?

Decks wrote:
    Eoin can you let me know where you buy the bags? do you just leave them outside your door?

Decks, when we were in Charlesland we had the greenstar bins, not the bags. I think you do leave the bags at the end of the driveway though.

• Advertisement

Ok now im confused.

Can someone please confirm if you have wheelie bins or do you just use bags for the apartments. If wheelie bins who do you contact to get them. Do the management company pay for them?

Decks wrote:
    Ok now im confused.

Can someone please confirm if you have wheelie bins or do you just use bags for the apartments. If wheelie bins who do you contact to get them. Do the management company pay for them?

I think you can use either wheelie bins or the bags. The bags are charged individually, while the wheelie bins are an annual fee, based on x amounts of lifts. I think you may get a refund if you don't put it out every week. You also get a green bin with this (collected monthly), and this is included in the price. This is from Greenstar. Other people seem to use Eurowaste, or something like that.

The management company have nothing to do with refuse collection as far as I know. I know when we signed contracts, they pulled out of it, and it was up to us to arrange it. I don't know if this is different for the fairways, or the crescent - I would imagine it is harder for a block of apartments to arrange their own collection.

If you are in any doubt, confirm with your management company whose reponsibility this is. If it isn't theirs, then ring greenstar or the other crowd and go from there.

cheers eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I use Wheelie bins and get Allied Waste Management(I think that's the name) to collect them - I need to buy tags which are 10 Euro each that you stick on each time you want it collected. Monday's for me.

As I mentioned before I'm trying to find out who else sells these tags apart from the shop across the road from the dart station.
    Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Have you tried the Newsagents in the Tesco shopping centre? I know they do Greenstar, so chances are they'd do AWM too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

folks,

i heard that some people in charlesland do get their rubbish collected (bagged waste) Free Of Charge. Apparently in the earlier Charlesland contracts, a clause stated that the mgt fee covers waste collections. This was subsequently removed from all contracts. What this would mean is that some Charlesland dwellers get their bins colleced for free whilst the rest of us subsidise thier refuse collection with our mgt fees. If this is actually the case we need to do something about it :mad:

has anyone else heard of this, or perhaps you are one of the lucky individuals?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

TnJ - I think, and don't quote me, that those people who have it in their contracts pay more by way of management fee than the rest of us. Now, these people are most probably in the first Phase of the whole development which would be Charlesland Wood. I have seen the fees for the apartment/duplex units as well as the rest of the dwellings - not a fee I would like to be paying but then again it covers their buildings insurance also!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

folks,
    i lived in charlesland wood in a 2 bed apartment unitl september 06. the waste charges were included in the management fee. We did not have to organise our own bin collection and we did not pay for it directly (though the management feew were pretty high, so we sold up and moved on!)
    as i say, that was in charlesland WOOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

different management company in the wood afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I live in the Grove and this is what happened for me.

When I bought the house and paid up, the Mgt Fee included bin collection (though it didnt state how this would be managed). After afew weeks, CGP contacted me to say that things had changed and that infact the bin charges were not included because (I think?) the negotiations didnt work out.

What they did was that anyone signing after this point had their Mgt. Fee reduced by (I THINK) about €125. To anyone who had already paid (like me) you had the option of either getting a refund of the €125 or get a year's supply (i.e. 52) of the purple Greenstar bags.

Now I may be wrong on the exact amount of the refund, but I do remember that whatever it was, the cost of buying 52 purple bags was way more, so I opted for the bags :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Liam81

quick question about where bins should be stored? in the 4 bed duplex there is a space to the right of the front door, basically under the stairs. however - this space is outside the downstairs apartment's bedroom window!! so, who is entitled to put their bins there? thanks for any info.:D

Liam81 wrote:
    quick question about where bins should be stored? in the 4 bed duplex there is a space to the right of the front door, basically under the stairs. however - this space is outside the downstairs apartment's bedroom window!! so, who is entitled to put their bins there? thanks for any info.:D

We were in an apartment under a duplex, and presumed that spot was for the duplex. It certainly wasn't much use to us anyway as we would have had to wheel our bins around the block to put them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Liam81 wrote:

Anyone living in the estate. It's a common area as apartments and duplexes do not include any exterior space.

Anyone living in the estate. It's a common area as apartments and duplexes do not include any exterior space.

what about driveways?

eoin_s wrote:
    what about driveways?

I don''t think any apartments or duplexes have driveways - at least not in my estate - Charlesland Park.

There are common car parks instead.

• Advertisement

I don''t think any apartments or duplexes have driveways - at least not in my estate - Charlesland Park.

There are common car parks instead.

Lots of the apartments have their own driveways in the Grove, but the duplexes don't seem to as their front door generally faces onto the passageway down to the shops. If the apartment's driveway is their own property, then I'd imagine that the space under the stairway into the duplex could be considered their property?

We have a duplex and thought the space was ours, since the selling agent said so and since it was under our entrance stairs. We planned to use it for bikes as well as bins and were surprised when we moved in and found the neighbours below were using it.

But our solicitor and the builder’s solicitor both said that since it is external it is a common area. The management company interpreted that to mean “common to the specific units adjacent to it”, but neither the solicitors nor the contracts say that.

The contracts do say something vague about “adjacent patios” being for the use of (but not the property of) the unit owner, so we have not set up our picnic table outside the neighbour’s front door -- but “their” lawn is fair game!

Seriously, we were ticked about it at first but we’re pretty much over it now. If I were them I’d want to use it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Liam81

i was on to the management co. about the upkeep of my garden (3 bed semi) and during discussions it came up about the driveways of the apartments. they are not private and are in fact common areas!! the issue with the bins in the 4 bed duplex annoys me because, the apartment below has a "common area" outside their front to place their bins. the 4 beds only have that spot under their stairway. if one was to get all technical about it, the owner of the 4 bed could actually put their bins in the front "common area" of the apartment (ie, the front door) but doesn't because of common courtesy. so why, i ask, would the owner of the apartment feel it is ok to place their bins outside the front "common area" (ie, outside front door) of the 4 bed duplex???:mad:

Liam81 wrote:
    the issue with the bins in the 4 bed duplex annoys me because, the apartment below has a "common area" outside their front to place their bins. the 4 beds only have that spot under their stairway. if one was to get all technical about it, the owner of the 4 bed could actually put their bins in the front "common area" of the apartment (ie, the front door) but doesn't because of common courtesy. so why, i ask, would the owner of the apartment feel it is ok to place their bins outside the front "common area" (ie, outside front door) of the 4 bed duplex???:mad:

Because they can?
    Because the selling agent told them it was grand?

That about sums it up, although in CP anyway the place for bins for the apartments is not really where anyone would want to keep their bins if they had an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Liam81 wrote:
    i was on to the management co. about the upkeep of my garden (3 bed semi:

So have I been cutting the grass of my 3 bed semi for nothing? Thought it was your responsibility once you bought it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

daveco23 wrote:
    So have I been cutting the grass of my 3 bed semi for nothing? Thought it was your responsibility once you bought it...

i'm pretty sure the gardens of the terraced and semi houses are the responsibility of the owner.

Advertisement