Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslim burial in Ireland

• 04-01-2007 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

A friend of mine is married to a Muslim woman and they live here in Ireland. Last time I was at their house, they were discussing how they would be buried in Ireland. She mentioned that Muslims are buried in a certain way, i.e. no coffin, on side, head towards Mecca. He would prefer a coffin for himself but they would like to be buried together.

How does this work in Ireland? Can a Muslim be buried in any cemetery in Ireland, or are they somehow Catholic-only? Can a person be buried without a coffin here? Do any of you have experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

According to chritian tradition graves look east in anticipation of the second coming of Jesus Christ.

In the Muslim tradtition the graves face north-east, as Muslims believe the dead look over their shoulder towards Mecca, towards the south-east.

Again the traditions of how you treat your dead are different and ideally the deceased is buried without a coffin but this is inline with local law, I think there are 1 or 2 local authorities here in the UK which allow this but the majority insist on a coffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

How does this work in Ireland? Can a Muslim be buried in any cemetery in Ireland, or are they somehow Catholic-only? Can a person be buried without a coffin here? Do any of you have experience of this?

Salam bowsie!

There is a grave yard for Muslims as part of the Mount Jerome Cemetary in Harold's Cross, but this is full and so there is another one in Newcastle (Co. Dublin!). Others may wish to have their bodies returned to their homelands when they die.

I am glad to say that I do not have personal experience of losing family members Al-hamdulillah, but have some experience from exposure to this in hospitals.
    Immediately after death, the body is covered with a sheet and those present may turn the head twoards Mecca (that's south east for us in Ireland). Gentleness must be afforded, even in death. The body is covered with a sheet and it is washed. Funeral prayer takes place at the mosque before the ghusl/ burial.
    The deceased is laid on its left side in a coffin and is turned so as to face towards Mecca. Hope this answers your questions.

And by the way just a short article on how Muslims should view death here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

cujimmy wrote:
    According to chritian tradition graves look east in anticipation of the second coming of Jesus Christ.

here they recently got rid of that tradition, for practical reasons. churches used to also face south east, but now when they build a new one they dont if its awkward.
    also i think they have to allow non-christians in christian graves due to the increase in homosexuals, divorced people and athiests.

Advertisement