Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in the Midlands

Options
  • 04-01-2007 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

What are my options? Can't get Eircon as i am too far away from their exchange.
    I'm living in Bealnamulla, thats the roscommon side of Athlone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

www.lastmile.ie wireless cover Bealnamulla and the surrounding areas. They broadcast from the water tower in Monksland afaik. Their offices are in the Monksland business park, opposite Elan.
    Irish Broadband and Digiweb also operate in Athlone but you may be too far out. Still worth giving the a shout though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Spondulick

Had a look at last mile, seems a bit too expensive. Has anyone had any experience with them?
    Gonna give Digiweb a ring, their prices look resonable, has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

try Digiweb alright, if you can see the cranes in the new shopping centre from the roof of your house you should be OK as the Antenna is on/near the roof of the hotel there. The distance limit is about 10k (supposedly), my sis has it out in Coosan and it's fine.

Haven't heard anything good about lastmile, just a lot of complaints on their service as. Also heard that they are going more for commercial customers than domestic, and will go in that direction for the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Digiweb antennae are on the ESB mast in Garrycastle (unless they moved them recently, which I doubt) so Coosan is only a stones throw from there. They would be a better option than Lastmile and worth a try but I'd say Bealnamulla would be pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

Hi,
    I live in bealnamulla and I too looked into getting broadband.
    I rang Digiweb(metro wireless), they came out but because I live in quite a low area there was no line of sight. The digiweb guy also said that day he was unsuccessful for a resident in River village and monksfield.
    lastmile.ie seem expensive and their reputation/speeds don't seem great
    I wasnt aware of the eircom unavailability. That removes another possible option.
    For me satellite broadband is too expensive so Im in the same situation as you at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

kaizersoze wrote:
    Digiweb antennae are on the ESB mast in Garrycastle (unless they moved them recently, which I doubt) so Coosan is only a stones throw from there. They would be a better option than Lastmile and worth a try but I'd say Bealnamulla would be pushing it.

afaik there is a new antennae on the new shopping centre, metro was only launched in Nov/Dec here. The receiver on the sisters roof is pointing directly at the cranes in town and not towards garrycastle so it looks like they could have moved the whole lot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

only go with last mile as a very last resort, im with them over a year now and there a crap bb provider but better that dial up, but tbh over the last week im actually getting about 40 kbps when downloading, if i and most other last mile customers where getting what we are paying for it woulnt be all that bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

With the risk of getting my head chopped off, also try IBB. They're in Athlone and having seen it with my own two eyes at a pal's house, the connection speed was 2Mbits no problems.

Advertisement