Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need to install a vent

Options
  • 04-01-2007 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

We're slowly but surely rennovating/modernising our house

we're ready to slab out the first room we've worked on but i'm wondering should we be installing some sort of external vent?

I know building regs dictate a vent in every bedroom at least but i'm not sure why/whether it's nessecary in an older building (not talking about legally nessecary, which afaik it's not)

the room is an attic room with 100mm quinn-therm (with 50mm gap) under a felted and slated roof, 80s uninsulated cavity block gable wall internally insulated with 50mm kingspan and a new pvc double glazed window.

so should i be installing an external vent?

oh it's a bedroom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Regulations aside, I wouldn't install a vent. With your new PVC window, I'm sure you can open it just a fraction and even lock it at this point so the ventilation of the room is under your manual control rather than a vent which will always allow some air through even when closed, allow a lot of air through when its windy (even closed) and do your head in with noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

As you're renovating have you thought of using one of those mechanical ventilation systems that recycle the heat from inside the house. It was on "About the House" some time ago I remember, I'm sure someone on here will have some more info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

not gutting and rebuilding, more heavy duty decorating in most of the house, just this one room in the attic(1.5 storey extension) that is getting this intensivly reworked so no we didn't look into such a system

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

The regulations in relation to trickle ventilation are there for a reason.

Here is a comprehensive easy to read document about ventilation in the whole house.

http://www.decenthomesstandard.co.uk/files/uploaded/download.php?filename=ventilationfordhs.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

cheers for that david.

its a good document but it left me a little confused as to what the requirments/reccomendations are for bedrooms. i'll pull out the homebond book tonight and take a looksee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Hi Johnboy

the vents are needed to air the room, If it is to be a bedroom yes put vents as it prevents moisture build, hot bodies cold nights:) but you will need them if the central heating boiler is located in the house for carbonmonoxide

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its the same for all habitable rooms (so your bedroom), 225 square vent. Behind the vent there is normally a pipe running through the cavity.

Advertisement