Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Deal of the Season so far..

• 04-01-2007 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Looking at the poll for player of the season so far it seems all the contenders are established players, i am just wondering what deals (for this season) people think have been the most sucessful ?

For me hands down its Obi from Man U to Chelsea. At 12.6million this was an amazing deal for Man U.

Very close second is Benny McCarthy to Blackburn, he looks a great predator for the money and Blackburn rock.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ah, so you're gonna judge him after 4 starts and 11 sub appearances? :rolleyes:

id hate if you were a manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

sundula wrote:
    For me hands down its Obi from Man U to Chelsea. At 12.6million this was an amazing deal for Man U.

Very short sighted. Supposing he turns into the player everyone is talking about, then it may mean united look like fools for letting a player like that go for a mere 12mil. Lets say Juve let Zidane go for 12mill, they would have been fools, this could be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Lets say Juve let Zidane go for 12mill

If you had said Bordeax then fair enough but Zidane was an established star at juventus before his transfer you cant really compare them.

Pats signing of Mulcahey was the signing of last season if you are talking about the "big" leagues Mutu has been a great signing for Fiorentina after a few years of dodgyness he is back better than he ever was and €8 was a reasonable enough price

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

iregk wrote:
    Very short sighted. Supposing he turns into the player everyone is talking about, then it may mean united look like fools for letting a player like that go for a mere 12mil. Lets say Juve let Zidane go for 12mill, they would have been fools, this could be the same.

Firstly i did say deal of the season so far - not deal of all times. And as has been said you probably couldnt have picked a worse comparison. The Zindane deal was a world record.

To date Obi has been a disappointment and the reason his apperances have been restricted is his poor behaviour with in the Club. He is a troublesome sort who has twice been fined for being late at training. At Mourinho has made no secert of Obi poor attiude. So for me so far its a poor deal which was amazing for Man U. Financially it could be the best deal in thier history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

sundula wrote:
    Financially it could be the best deal in thier history.

naa, selling Mark Hughes, Paul Ince and Andrei Kanchelskis for a complete total of 17.25m sterling in 1995 was by far their best bit of business

• Advertisement

Ah yeah but when you factor in wages(paid out) and the fact they were selling 3 first time players instead of 1 who never kicked a ball for them and the effect that would have on the squad etc etc plus having to purchase new replacements etc etc, I think the Obi deal comes up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I know it's a year late but for value for money it's got to be Kevin Doyle.

What about Cambell, Kanu and James for Pompey?
    sundula wrote:
    having to purchase new replacements etc etc

Paul Scholes
    Gary Neville
    Phil Neville
    Nicky Butt
    Keith Gillespie
    David Beckham

all for nothing!

along with the previous years signings of Eric Cantona (1.2m) and Roy Keane (3.75m), I reckon it was good business by Fergie. I know what you mean though, Obi Mikel was a big chunk of spare change that was found on the floor to United, and he hasnt produced for Chelsea so Wooh Hoo :D !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

sundula wrote:
    Firstly i did say deal of the season so far - not deal of all times. And as has been said you probably couldnt have picked a worse comparison. The Zindane deal was a world record.

Ok your taking me literally here. What I'm saying is supposing Zidane didn't have his name and was sold for 10mill would Bordeaux still class that as a good deal now? no. Did Juve class the 10mill they got for Henry a good deal. At the time they were over the moon, recent years they are kicking themselves. Thats what I'm saying. Obi could be the same.

iregk wrote:
    Ok your taking me literally here. What I'm saying is supposing Zidane didn't have his name and was sold for 10mill would Bordeaux still class that as a good deal now? no. Did Juve class the 10mill they got for Henry a good deal. At the time they were over the moon, recent years they are kicking themselves. Thats what I'm saying. Obi could be the same.

I know you are trying to argue that Obi could be a steal at 12mil. Fair enough and in time he might prove that. But in the context on the thread its a great deal for Man U.

On a different arguement - Henry could still be at Juve and they wouldnt have got any good from him. I credit his transformation from winger to top glass striker to Wenger and i think Henry credits Wenger to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

iregk wrote:

I don't think he will turn into the player everyone is talking about. The boy has no discipline and without this he won't improve. On top of it all his agent seems to be extremely dodgy to say the least! If you look into the background of his transfer It seems his agent, a Mr. ****tu is nothing but trouble so Man U did very well to get 12.6M euro for Obi Mikel and wash their hands of the whole lot. He never even kicked a ball for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kevin Doyle-Outside of home grown players, the best transfer of the past few seasons.
    United didnt have a choice in the matter. He didnt want to play for them, plain and simple-so it wasnt just a matter of "letting him go"
    12 million was a nice price to get for a player who hadn't played for you and never wanted to play for you.

When you look at it Kevin is a bargain in every sense of the word. And of course Kanu and Campbell have been rock solid for Pompey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I think James was sold for a such a bargin because the told someone big at Man.City what his plans with his hair was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

sundula wrote:
    When you look at it Kevin is a bargain in every sense of the word. And of course Kanu and Campbell have been rock solid for Pompey.

Kanu on a free was a great bit of business (To quote Arry) and Campbell, although expensive salery wise again, great transfer although Linvoy Primus is also having a grea season, without him Campbell would not look so good imho.

Glenn Johnson on loan has been great as well and David James.....

Goold old Redknapp keeps coming up with these jems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

sundula wrote:
    Spurs getting £18.6M for Carrick, great little peice of business.

Doyle was bought two seasons ago so I guess doesn't really count.

Dirk Kuyt for me, he really seems to be adapting well to the Premier League, I was afraid for him after the poor World Cup he had. Will be key in the Champions League. Seol Ki-Hyeon has been outstanding for Reading too, what a find for Coppell. Another player who has impressed me is Scott Carson of Charlton. Conceded four goals against Arsenal, but still man of the match for me. If he keeps performing like he has, he should displace the error prone Reina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

5 words tbh

Armando Miguel Correia de Sá :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I'm still confused about the Mikel transfer. As far as I recall United didn't "get" £12M for him. Didn't the just not have to pay Lyn the £6M the had agreed, and then Chelsea had to pay it instead, and then there is another £4M or so that will be factored in performanced based?

So essentially United never had to spend £6M, and then got £6M from Chelsea? So the cost to Chelsea was just £6M and a player, and technically the gain to United was £12M but in cash terms it was only £6M. That's just my understanding.

Regardless I think there have been far better transfer deals than that. The one that saw Arsenal lose a want-away player for one of the best defenders in the league who is in his prime plus £5M.

Even Nemanja Vidic, who wasn't all that cheap, looks money very well spent at this stage.

You can't argue with Kanu's return.

Doyle was purchased in the Summer of 2005 was he not? It's now 2007 so lets leave our Irish-bias to the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I'm still confused about the Mikel transfer. As far as I recall United didn't "get" £12M for him. Didn't the just not have to pay Lyn the £6M the had agreed, and then Chelsea had to pay it instead, and then there is another £4M or so that will be factored in performanced based?

So essentially United never had to spend £6M, and then got £6M from Chelsea? So the cost to Chelsea was just £6M and a player, and technically the gain to United was £12M but in cash terms it was only £6M. That's just my understanding.
    From Wikipedia
    On June 2, 2006, Chelsea, Manchester United, Lyn Oslo and John Obi Mikel reached a settlement to resolve the future of the player. Mikel's registration will be transferred from Lyn to Chelsea; Manchester United have also agreed to terminate their option agreement with Mikel. Under the terms of this agreement Chelsea will pay Manchester United £12million, half paid upon the finalisation of the contract and the other half in June 2007, and Lyn £4million, half payable immediately, and half payable in June 2007. As a result of this settlement, all claims in this matter - which Chelsea were never an official party to - were withdrawn. [14] On July 19, 2006 Chelsea were granted a work permit for the midfielder after they completed the £16million signing in June 2006. [15] On July 31, 2006 he stated that he prefers to be called Mikel John Obi instead of John Obi Mikel, as he had most commonly been called
    So Chelsea did have to pay Utd 12M but Utd didn't have to pay anything for him. So Utd are 12M up but a player down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What happened was, United initlally spent 6 million, but that never went through cause they never got the player, so then Chelsea played 4 million to Lyn and 8 or 12 million to United.

United gain 8 or 12(can't remember) million from the transfer.

Either way, still a terrible deal for United, probably their worst in a long time. Besides the fact he is a top quality prospect, and woulda been welcome to the United squad considering the O"Sheaness, it gave in with Chelsea, and said you could buy us off, which is very very bad.

Kanu has to be the deal of the season so far. Vidic was bought last season. I don't think Gallas is the deal of the season so far, he still cost them quite a bit imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Although Mikel has looked crap this season!

grahamo wrote:
    I don't think he will turn into the player everyone is talking about. The boy has no discipline and without this he won't improve. On top of it all his agent seems to be extremely dodgy to say the least! If you look into the background of his transfer It seems his agent, a Mr. ****tu is nothing but trouble so Man U did very well to get 12.6M euro for Obi Mikel and wash their hands of the whole lot. He never even kicked a ball for them.

again, i love how people are judging him on half a season, can hardly judge his discipline on that

TheMonster wrote:
    From Wikipedia

So Chelsea did have to pay Utd 12M but Utd didn't have to pay anything for him. So Utd are 12M up but a player down.
    If I read that correctly United's net gain currently in cash terms is £nil? And they are a player down. They will receive a further £6M next Summer though.

Hardly the deal of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Utd got £6m this summer and will get £6m next summer, having spent 0 in transfers on him (+ legal fee's).

The player basically cost Chelsea £16m, with £4m going to Lyn (the original amount Utd. were going to pay) and £12m going to Utd.

event wrote:
    again, i love how people are judging him on half a season, can hardly judge his discipline on that

I think it is very fair to question his discipline, i was just checking and he was actually fined 3 times by Chelsea this season for turning up late at training, dropped for over a month and his lifestyle lends itelf more to Tupac than a professional footballer. It is well document that he travels with a large group of hangers on whom he keeps at the Chelsea Village. Couple this with the nature of his transfer and the way he treated Man U and his refusal to return to Lyn for a 3 month period then it paints a picture of a very troublesome picture.

perhaps

though i dont believe everything i read in the media about hangers on, sure he's only 18 or so?

didnt JT be the same as a kid?

i would judge his discipline more when he grows up and is with the club longer that 6 months

event wrote:
    perhaps

though i dont believe everything i read in the media about hangers on, sure he's only 18 or so?

didnt JT be the same as a kid?

i would judge his discipline more when he grows up and is with the club longer that 6 months

Its not media speculation its fact. And his age cant be used as a defense for his poor attitude. There have been plenty of players his age and younger with more pressure who never let it effect their attitude.

sundula wrote:
    Its not media speculation its fact. And his age cant be used as a defense for his poor attitude. There have been plenty of players his age and younger with more pressure who never let it effect their attitude.

so you could go and work in nigeria at 17, 18 and never go off the rails or be late once? fair deuce to you

show me proof of this fact?

BTW, im not a chelsea fan, so im not biased towards him/them

sundula wrote:
    It still doesn't equate to "the deal of the season" for United because currently they have lost a player and received nothing.

If it were the worst piece of business then perhaps from Chelsea's POV he could be a candidate, but it's definitely not the deal of the season.

• Advertisement

It still doesn't equate to "the deal of the season" for United because currently they have lost a player and received nothing.
    but they will receive...............ah I give up. dead argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lee Naylor, Wolves to Celtic - €600,000

Possible player of the season

If I read that correctly United's net gain currently in cash terms is £nil? And they are a player down. They will receive a further £6M next Summer though.

No.

Look, United paid 6 million to Lyn, on the condition that he jointed the club. When he did not join the club, United did not pay anymoney to Lyn. No money went from United to Lyn (or if it did, it was returned)
    Net cost United -> Lyn - 0

CHelsea payed 16 million for him, 4 to Lyn, 12 to United, over two years.

Last Summer, United recieved 6 million for him, and this summer, they will recieve 6 million more.

Net gain on Mikel up to this point : 6 million
    Future gain : 6 million more

Trilla wrote:
    but they will receive...............ah I give up. dead argument
    £6M, next year. If the OP wanted to start a thread about "JOM" being a flop he should have started one.

His move from Lyn to Chelsea with United getting cash along the way isn't the "deal of the season", because as I've said above, they have lost a player and received nothing, end of story.

PHB wrote:
    No.

Look, United paid 6 million to Lyn, on the condition that he jointed the club. When he did not join the club, United did not pay anymoney to Lyn. No money went from United to Lyn (or if it did, it was returned)
    Net cost United -> Lyn - 0

CHelsea payed 16 million for him, 4 to Lyn, 12 to United, over two years.

Last Summer, United recieved 6 million for him, and this summer, they will recieve 6 million more.

Net gain on Mikel up to this point : 6 million
    Future gain : 6 million more
    Whatever it is, it is hardly the "deal of the season".

Oh I agree completely, but just saying, we got 6 million net gain last year, and will get 6 million net gain this summer.

I still think it's a terrible deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Its definitly isnt deal of the season.

The various players already mentioned thath arry has bought, or benni mcarthy to blackburn have to be considered.

Anthony Stokes

case closed!

event wrote:
    so you could go and work in nigeria at 17, 18 and never go off the rails or be late once? fair deuce to you

show me proof of this fact?

BTW, im not a chelsea fan, so im not biased towards him/them

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article1990335.ece

This guy wasnt picked out of village in the middle of no where, he is many years out of Nigeria, moved to Norway with other Nigerians, he travels regularly with the Nigerian squad. Lyn seem to have taken very good care of him. He is not living on his own in a bedsit in London he has plenty of company and money. So painting the picture of some poor lonely soul from the sticks arriving in London and going mad is wrong. He is an experienced footballer, well travelled who has represented his country at every level. So he is no ordinary 17 year old.

Whatever it is, it is hardly the "deal of the season".

Ok, now your back on to the thread subject - why dont you put forward your suggestion ?

He is no ordinary 17 year old, he is a guy who went through a horrible dodgy dodgy transfer that nobody knows about what happened for sure, and may well have been blackmailed with physical threats to him and his family.

If you want to see his quality, see if you can get the Argentina vs. Nigeria match in the Youth world cup, better called the Messi vs. Mikel match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

He still has it all to prove, though it could be a case of Chelski snapping up ANY talent that rival clubs are interested in a la SWP and Arsenal - and he's certainly integral to their side!

sundula wrote:
    Ok, now your back on to the thread subject - why dont you put forward your suggestion ?
    I put forward three on my first post on the thread.

I apologise - fair play

It would seem Kanu is probably favourite

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Indeed, 16 goals from Stokes for Falkirk for literally nothing, not even wages, is pretty damn good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

best deal -

kanu

worst -

has to be shevchenko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agree with that /\ /\ /\ /\

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Antoine Sibierski!
    event wrote:
    If I was paid Premiership footballer wages I could probably manage no problem, although I imagine it would be slightly easier for a Nigerian to adapt to life in England as opposed to vice versa, considering the conditions and general quality of living in each country.

kinaldo wrote:
    Antoine Sibierski!

If I was paid Premiership footballer wages I could probably manage no problem, although I imagine it would be slightly easier for a Nigerian to adapt to life in England as opposed to vice versa, considering the conditions and general quality of living in each country.

course you would, it'd be easy sure
    sundula wrote:
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article1990335.ece

This guy wasnt picked out of village in the middle of no where, he is many years out of Nigeria, moved to Norway with other Nigerians, he travels regularly with the Nigerian squad. Lyn seem to have taken very good care of him. He is not living on his own in a bedsit in London he has plenty of company and money. So painting the picture of some poor lonely soul from the sticks arriving in London and going mad is wrong. He is an experienced footballer, well travelled who has represented his country at every level. So he is no ordinary 17 year old.

im not trying to paint him as some lonely lost soul. But i am saying that sometimes 17 year olds are late for work. And sometimes they are easily iifluenced by outside factors

for you to claim he is an experienced footballer at 17, thats a bit much though

anyway, signing of the season, dunno, though hulse gets a shout

his goals alone have got them 8 points sorta, that could keep them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

event wrote:
    course you would, it'd be easy sure
    Adapting to a foreign lifestyle can't be that hard when you're on astronomical wages and speak the same language. Mikel is probably having the time of his life in London - no excuse for his lack of professionalism though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Signing of the season? For me it has to be Hatem Trabelsi. Cost absolutely nothing and was heavily linked with Arsenal a few years ago. Also rumours going around that they may want him now due to his current form. A top quality player, and as I said, he cost sweet FA.

Also getting Nicky Weaver back and in top form is just as good as a new signing. He's been tremendous for us and is keeping Isaksson on the bench.

• Advertisement
Advertisement