Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to Disneyland?

Options
  • 04-01-2007 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Were thinking about taking the wee 'ns to Disneyland this spring.

Has anyone been recently? Any advice?

Florida or Paris?

Package deal or do it yourself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've been to the Florida park on three occasions over the years during the months of February and March. Even this early in the year, the daytime temperatures were in the mid to high 20's and shorts and t-shirts were the order of the day. Florida is closer to the equator than the Canary Islands.

The parks are well run and they even have water fountains in the queues for the rides so you can get a drink. The magic Kingdom park is geared towards the younger kids but there are some rides that are a little too fast or a bit scary and young kids aren't let on. They also have strict height restrictions on somes rides and if your kids don't reach a certain height, they won't be let on. This can cause a few tears.

The MGM studios are geared more towards older kids/teenagers but the animal kingdom/epcot would keep the younger ones amused. There are also some great water parks to complete the disneyland line up.

Food and drink in the park is costly so its advisable to bring your own.

You pay at the gate on the way in and then you can go on as many rides as you want without paying anything further.

Florida also has the attractions of Seaworld, Universal Studios, Kennedy Space Centre, the Everglades and fantastic beaches (I'm getting interested in going back myself now!!!)

You can book a cheap package deal which usually involves car hire. A car is a must for getting around in Orlando. Food and drink are very cheap compared to Ireland.

I personally wouldn't leave it too late in the year to go as the temperatures in the summer months would make standing in the queues unbearable and you'd also have to contend with thunderstorms that would seem like flash floods. Finally, from July onwards, its Hurricane season as well so unless you like real life thrills, I'd go early in the year.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

We went a couple of years ago, my wife, myself and my son who was 2. We live in the states so flights weren't that expensive. We stayed in one of the onsite hotels so we didn't have to rent a car, there was a fantastic public transportation system. We pre-bought passes that allowed us access to any park for 5 days. We stayed for 6 days so one of the days we did the free stuff, downtown Disney, hotel pool etc. We went in Sept which is hurricane season. In fact a big hurricane was supposed to hit the day after we arrived but we got very lucky and it missed and all we got was some clouds and rain. The upside was that loads and people cancelled. We had no lines for rides, or the pool, nothing like that, it was great!

If you stay in one of the onsite hotels here is a useful tip we were given that I will pass on. There are 3 or 4 levels of hotels. The lowest being the furthest out and cheapy, right up to the fancy ones. We stayed in a mid-level hotel but you are free to visit the fancier hotels. The fancy hotels have nicer dining and access to a small beach. So even though you stay at the cheaper hotel you can take advantage of the nicer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Went on my Honeymoon with my wife to Florida. Amazing time!
    It cost us just over 2 grand for the two of us with American Holidays. 2 weeks in October.

You might get better help and feedback in the Travel and Holidays forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I've been to Disneyworld in Orlando 3 times, twice with my kids and once before we got married. I love the place and never get tired of going. We're thinking about heading down for a week either next month or in April when the kids are off from school. I don't want to rehash what others have already said but I just want to add have no kid will ever have a bad time at Disneyworld. Also, another thing I like about the place is that it is spotlessly clean. Also the staff are VERY polite, perhap too much with their "have a magical day" every 2 seconds.

I don't know what type of packages are available for you but I would guess that they are more economical and flexible than going on the fly. You can also visit Seaworld and Universal but Universal is very similar to MGM Studios.
    But you should buy your park tickets ahead of time, they are definetely cheaper than buying at the gate and are even more cheaper if you are staying at one of the Disney hotels. And depending on the age of your kids, you can also include access to the Disney water parks, typhoon lagoon and blizzard beach.

We stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside and the All Star Movies. Both nice but the All Star Movies costs less and is not as upscale as the others. But for us it didnt matter much because we never spent much time in the rooms and every hotel has their swimming pools and other amenities anyway.

A few good sites:
    http://www.allearsnet.com/
    http://forums.wdwmagic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have been to disneyland Paris. Its much much smaller and no where near as good as any of the US parks. However its cheaper to get to. If you can afford it, go to Florida (or california).. otherwise Paris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Been to Florida and California. In Folrida the last time we had accommodation off site and only went to the parks every second day, as everyday in the park was too much for use. We hired a car and went all over Florida. its expensive but a fun holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Went to Paris about 14 years ago when I was 8 or 9. It's quite small compared to the American ones alright. Really doesn't matter when you're a kid however. I still loved it :D

If your wee 'ns are VERY wee then Paris might be a better option. If they're a bit older they'd probably appreciate the American ones more.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

been to paris a few times with the children, going back again end of this month. Few points, its cheaper in Jan/ Feb, ryanair 1c tickets both ways (plus taxes etc), stayong on site, good if you have small children and wish to return to your accommadation.

Last time we left after early breakfeast and did the fast pass on all the good rides, stayed until lunch time and then went back to the rooms for a break, later on went back and used the fast passes again.

if you go, the queues are small this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I wouldn't consider bringing kids there until they're at least 5-6 years old it's too much for younger kids - if you're looking for something slightly cheaper try Universal Studios Port Aventura in Spain (half hour from Barcelona outside Salou - Ryanair fly to nearest airport Reus) the parks are great and there's also a huge Water Park as well (ok not as big as Disney) and the onsite hotels are fantastic we took our 3 year old there and she loved every second and we didn't have a bad time either - one thing though if you do go there stay out of Salou - it's a kip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 onlineshopper

Been twice with wife and 2 girls. Girls were 4&6 first time, 6&8 the second. Stayed in Disney hotel first time and then a hotel in Val D'Europe { village just outside Disney } second. Val d'Europe a much better value for money option, and offers more choice in restaurants.
    First time was during that heatwave in Aug a few yrs ago, - temp reached 41C and was really draining, but kids still enjoyed it. 2nd time was during a Halloween celebration, which was really good, pleasantly warm and very enjoyable.
    IMHO not much there for kids over the age of 13 - two days entertainment but they could be easily bored after that. Younger kids should get 3 or 4 days of good entertainment. Can get a bit crowded during weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Maccattack wrote:
    Were thinking about taking the wee 'ns to Disneyland this spring.

Has anyone been recently? Any advice?

Florida or Paris?

Package deal or do it yourself?
    I have been to Disneyland, california, I was about 24 then, A group of us travelled accross the states from New York to Los Angelus. It was great to finish off the trip. (We brought out the kids in us) One thing though use the "Fast Track" system, It helps with the kids, You will not be waiting around in long ques. But try the off season. It helps to reduce stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I go to Florida every year in October. I go one of the weeks of the mid term break and either the week beofre or after. I love it then - the weather is fantastic (late 20s) humidity is low.
    There is so much to do that I still find new things every year.

The parks are lovely and quiet then because the American kids are in school.

I was there for Hallowe'en night last year and Mickeys Not So Scary Hallowe'en party was brilliant.

I went once in May and never again. Torrential rain every afternoon and the parks were jammed. October is much better. The shopping is better too, because the clothes are winter stock that are suitable for wearing over here.

There's loads more to do than just the theme parks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Neighbours went to Disneyland Paris in early February last year but came home early. The weather was very cold and most of the stuff was outdoors. They said they wouldn't go during the winter weather again, waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

My sister lives in Florida and we have been to DL a few times.

Bit of advice.
    There is plenty of public transport available to and from DL and car rental is not expensive if needs be.
    Do package for DL and it's more costly than staying well away and doing day trips. That way you'll have the best of both worlds.

My opinion of DL - from one who hated anything to do with cartoons etc as a kid. When at DL I have a fab time and cant help but walk around grinning. But.....two or three times round the same block is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I was in the Florida one before I became a parent. I wouldn't bring my child there tbh. There were really long queues for everything, even in the off-peak season, it's a complete shrine to consumerism and most of the food available was shockingly junky. But that's just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Went to Paris in Nov05 & LOVED IT so much I'm going back again in May this year. First time I went was just myself & my daughter who was 12.5 at the time & as it was mid Nov we were there for the xmas theme which was really magical. We stayed in Hotel Cheyene which I can't fault. You could stay in a more fancy hotel but you spend so little time in it its not worth the extra money.

Price wise this time its costing me €1282 for myself, my daughter (will turn 14 whilst we're there), plus my son (will be nearly 5 when we go). This includes Ryanair flights from Cork to CDG, Paris, tickets for the Disney bus to the resort, Hotel (breakfast only but you get a lot), park & studio tickets etc. Basically everything included except spending money which I think is very reasonable. We are staying for four nights. Also all hotels within the resort have free shuttle buses every few mins which is great.

Well without rambling to make it short I highly recommend Paris & if you decide to go there I'll give you more specific advice if you need it. Also just to ad there is a train station in Disney resort that goes into Paris too which is a bonus. Didn't make it last time but this year hope to see the Eiffel Tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Thanks for the advice. Well weve booked Paris. Got a good deal so are going at the end of the month (May).

We’ll be staying in HOTEL CHEYENNE which you mentioned. Hopefully its not too far.

We arrive into CDG at around 9 am so hopefully not too much of the day is wasted in getting there.

Any advice on getting from the airport to the hotel?

How do you get the express passes?

Any other advice would be appreciated…

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

when i went to Disneyland Paris with my family, we got a Disney bus from CDG to the hotel (we stayed in the main Disneyland Hotel)

also, i went to the one in florida a few years back, and i much prefered Paris. The design seemed a bit better, with more shade in the queues for the rides and little (but important) things like that.

Another thing the hotel will give you is badges for the kids - but the name and room number on the badge, a contact number too. If the kids get seperated and (hopefully) picked up by Park employees it makes the ordeal that bit easier. We managed to lose on of my brothers IN the hotel at one point - and it was the badge that got him back to us before we had ever realised he had gone missing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

where do you get the bus from?

How much?

how long is the journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Get the bus from directly outside terminal 2f. It's 45 minutes and it's €16 per adult and €13 per child.

Full info here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Florida is closer to the equator than the Canary Islands.

The southern tip, maybe. Orlando is at a higher latitude than the main resorts on Tenerife or Gran Canaria.

Advertisement