Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stud Finders are they any Good?

Options
  • 04-01-2007 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    thinking of buying a stud finder,has anybody any experience with using these?Or are they just a waste of money.Anyone recommend a good quality one:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi barry75,
    i have a black&decker one.i find it to be only a little helpful.was about 30e.i'm a painter so i got it to tighten loose boards on ceilings if to much movement for standard filling of cracks.
    what u need it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Em, I have found them to be only a little useful too, they are good for finding live electrical cables in walls before you drill, good for some pipes but not kopex, but not great for finding studs, knocking the wall to hear the different sounds is as good in my opinion, but some people like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

thanks for the replys lads ,i am at the plasterboarding stage of a timber frame house,though one would come in handy locating studs at a later stage for skirting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I find that they can be a bit vague where accuracy is needed- e.g. drilling where you know there are pipes very near.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I wouldnt truct them at all. I have used a few and regardless of price/quality they all seem to be at bit dodgy.

Mark battens or every 2nd batten on the floor with something heavy duty before you put up the slabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

thanks for the replys lads ,i am at the plasterboarding stage of a timber frame house,though one would come in handy locating studs at a later stage for skirting etc.

For skirting just place a pencil mark on the floor direct inline with the stud.or if the floor is already down a piece of masking tap. By the way, as mentioned by the stoner, I found stud finders to be useless other than for locating electrics.

Advertisement