Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions: 2007

Options
  • 04-01-2007 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok people this has been done in other years (though I cant find 2006 thread) and I thought you'd open it up again.

Lets try keep it for making predictions and not for discussing predictions made by people.

Here are some of mine:

I predict a breakthrough in a case related to a long running missing persons case in Ireland, maybe a body or an anon letter to a paper.

I unfortunately predict a rail disaster in the Uk before the end of July.

*Edit: Found the 2006 thread but its not something worth looking at unless you want to observe some bitchiness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

As a matter of interest 6th, how do these predictions come about? A general feeling or as a result of an "enquiry" (best way I can put it sorry) of some sort?

I'm not taking the p!ss here. I'm genuinely interested.

D

edit - I hope you're wrong about the rail disaster btw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

They dont have to be psychic predictions, you can just say what you think will happen. Some people interperate what the see in a dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I will loose over a stone in weight.
    How is that for a prediction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

i predict me getting new car and new job.its called manifesting look it up.hope it works :) I will let ye know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

6th wrote:

I hope I'm not involved in it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Inspector

I predict i will have a lot of spirits around me tonight.

Whiskey and Brandy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

I'm joining you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Spondulick

I predict that a worm infection/virus will spread on game consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Guys, can I be your placebo because I don't have a paranormal bone in my body.

My predictions for 2007.

An Irishman to win the Eurolottery

A very senior Northern Ireland politician to pass away

Osama Bin Laden to pass away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

World War 3, or a New Cold War.

• Advertisement

Something big will happen with Ryan Giggs ... I'm not a sports fan so I have no idea what it could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

I myslef believe Bin Laden is dead already. Anyway I believe we will see a huge crash in a major economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Spiders, red ones, not terribly big but bigger than your average house spiders.

I'm not sure what though... but I think maybe they are somewhat dangerous and there will be news warnings about them, let loose by mistake somewhere or something!

ok it's just a silly dream I had last night.. I know not what I am talking about really but what the heck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

A big pop sensation will be attacked while either performing in a concert or during a rehearsal on stage. Open air concert I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

6th wrote:

Unfortunately that would be following a trend over the last 15 years or so. The rail safety record in UK is poor.

scargill wrote:
    Unfortunately that would be following a trend over the last 15 years or so. The rail safety record in UK is poor.

Really? I know they have a bad record but have a look below. Admittedly its just a list of major rail disasters but it covers almost 100 years and the UK seem to be improving. Hasnt been one in 2 years and the one before that was 2 years before that.
    Europe's history of rail disasters:

Details of some of Europe's worst rail accidents.

October 2006: About 12 people are reported dead when a goods train and a passenger train collide in France just south of the border with Luxembourg.

June 2006: At least 30 people are killed and a dozen hurt in a metro train crash in the eastern Spanish city of Valencia.

January 2006: At least 39 people die and 135 are injured - many of them skiers - when a train plunges down a ravine after its brakes fail in Podgorica, Montenegro.

January 2005: A crowded Italian train collides head-on with a freight convoy in thick fog near Bologna, Italy, killing at least 14 people and injuring more than 50.

November 2004: Seven are killed and 37 injured as a London to Plymouth train derails after hitting a car on a level-crossing in Berkshire, UK.

August 2004: At least six die and 85 are hurt in a head-on crash in north-western Turkey.

July 2004: A high-speed train from Istanbul to Ankara derails in the north-western province of Sakarya killing at least 36 people in one Turkey's worst ever rail disasters.

June 2003: At least 19 people die when a passenger train and a freight train collide in Spain's Albacete province.

May 2003: A train crashes into a German coach at a level crossing on the shores of Lake Balaton in Hungary, killing 33 people on the coach.

November 2002: Twelve people die in a fire on an overnight sleeper train near the eastern French city of Nancy.

May 2002: A crash at Potter's Bar in Britain kills seven people and injures dozens more when a train derails and smashes into a station.

September 2001: A head-on collision in southern Germany injures 82 people, nine of them seriously.

June 2001: Seven people are killed in two separate train crashes in Germany. Both were apparently caused by vehicles crossing railway lines despite warning signals.

March 2001: Eight people are killed when two trains smash into each other head-on in the village of Pecrot, about 26 kilometres (16 miles) east of Brussels.

February 2001: Ten people are killed in North Yorkshire, UK, when a high-speed passenger train hits a car on the track before colliding with a freight train.

October 2000: Four people are killed in the UK when a high-speed London to Leeds train derails at Hatfield, Hertfordshire.

February 2000: Eight people are killed when an overnight passenger train is derailed near Cologne, Germany.

January 2000: Two passenger trains collide in Norway, 150 km (100 miles) north of Oslo, overturning several coaches and setting off a huge blaze. A total of 19 people die.

October 1999: Thirty-one people are killed when a high-speed passenger train approaching London's Paddington Station collides with a local commuter train.

June 1998: More than 100 people are killed when a German high-speed train travelling from Munich to Hamburg goes off the rails at Eschede.

September 1997: Seven people are killed when a Swansea-to-London express train collides with a goods locomotive.

June 1989: The most horrific European rail accident of recent years happens in Russia when a gas explosion erupts beneath two trains carrying more than 1,200 people near the town of Ufa, killing about 400 and injuring 600.

June 1989: In the same month, Russia suffers another tragedy when 31 people die and 66 are injured after an express train ploughs into a bus which has stalled on a level crossing in southern Russia.

December 1988: Britain's Clapham Junction crash kills 35 people when three morning rush-hour trains collide in south London.

June 1988: A rush-hour train runs into the back of another at Paris's Gare de Lyon, killing 59.

September 1985: A holiday express crashes near Argenton-sur-Creuse, north of Limoges in France, killing 43 people and injuring another 30.

August 1985: A month earlier, 33 people die and 165 are injured in a head-on collision between two trains in southern France.

1967: Germany suffers a major rail disaster, when a train collides with another carrying petrol tankers near the city of Magdeburg, causing an explosion that kills 94 people.

October 1952: A total of 112 people are killed and 340 hurt in a crash at Harrow and Wealdstone in north-west London.

May 1915: The UK's worst crash takes place when a World War I troop train collides with a stationary train near Gretna Green in Scotland, and is then itself hit by an express passenger train. More than 200 people - most of them soldiers - are killed in the two crashes and ensuing fires.

So I really dont think the odds stand to getting another one ... do you?

There seems to be some gaps in what you have provided there. Last year was a good year, and there were no major incidents (involving death or serious injury) in 93 or 92, but there have been serious rail incidents in 13 of the last 16 years.
    The only reason I picked up on your prediction was that I remember seeing a Newsnight type documentary after the Potters Bar derailment that was trying to draw some link between privatisation and the upsurge in incidents. But the bare analysis of the facts showed that on average there was a fatal rail accident in the UK every 1-2 years since the 1950's.

I've had to google all of this - I'm not a train spotter !

July 7 A series of four terrorist explosions occur on London's transport system killing 52 people, plus four suicide bombers.

November 6 – Ufton Nervet rail crash, England: A High Speed Train hits a stationary car on a level crossing (an apparent suicide) at 100mph and derails. Five train passengers and the drivers of both the train and the car are killed; over 100 passengers are injured.

February 15 – Tebay , Cumbria, England: A sleeper transporter trolley with defective brakes carrying 16 tonnes of rails became detached from a maintenance train south of Carlisle and rolled down the falling gradient until it struck and killed 4 workmen in a team repairing the line at Tebay, just north of Penrith.

July 7 – Between Evesham and Pershore, Worcestershire, England. A First Great Western train was involved in a collision with a minibus on a level crossing between Pershore and Evesham, Worcestershire. 3 killed (all in the minibus).

10 May - Potters Bar rail crash, north of London, England: a northbound train derails at high speed; seven killed, 11 seriously injured.

28 February - A GNER train from York to London King's Cross crashed at Great Heck between Goole and Selby, north Yorkshire, on the East Coast main line. A Land Rover slid down an embankment from the M62 into the path of an express train. 10 people are killed, over 80 are injured.

17 October - Four people were killed and a further 35 were hurt when a GNER London to Leeds train, travelling at over 100mph, derailed at Hatfield, Hertfordshire. A broken rail was found to be the "substantial" cause of the accident.

5 October - Thirty-one people were killed when two trains collided at Ladbroke Grove, just outside Paddington station, in London.

23 June - Thirty-one people were injured after a London to Glasgow Virgin Rail train collided with a stationary local train near Winsford, Cheshire.

August 7 - Tamworth, Staffordshire. Three teenagers fell out of unlocked doors on express trains and died from their injuries.

A speeding express from Swansea to Paddington crashed into an empty freight train at Southall, killing seven people.

8 August - One person killed and 69 people were injured when a train collided with a stationary passenger train at Watford South Junction in Hertfordshire.

January - A guard was killed and 30 other people injured in an accident at Aisgill on the Settle to Carlisle line.

October - Five killed and 12 injured in a head-on crash after driver ran a red signal near Cowden in Kent.

Just over 100 people were injured when two trains bound for Cardiff collided deep inside the railway tunnel beneath the River Severn.

A train driver was killed and 35 injured at Stafford station in a two-train crash in August.

March - Five people died and more than 90 were injured when two trains collided outside Purley station in south London.

Two days later, two suburban electric trains in Glasgow collided head-on on a single track and two people died.

Ok I did miss a few (BBC news did the list i got) but for some reason I see the terrorist attacks differently to the 'accidents".

1991: No one was killed.

Funny coincidence that the two crashes in 1999 first one had 31 injuries and the second had 31 deaths ... some would think that maybe the second crashed claimed the ammount of victims the first failed to.

6th wrote:
    Funny coincidence that the two crashes in 1999 first one had 31 injuries and the second had 31 deaths ... some would think that maybe the second crashed claimed the ammount of victims the first failed to.

Not really sure how to respond to that ?

The figures for the number injured are a bit vague, if you google it you'll find the number of injuries range from 25 - 45. The site I took it from just happened to have 31 each.

I don't really want to get into too deep a discussion with you on it 'cos I know I'm straying onto dodgy ground with this forum's charter. But I just casually came across your topic and thought I'd exand on it with some facts in case anyone else casually came across it !!
    I'll get my coat.

I dont think you're straying anywhere near dangerous water with regards to the charter.

This thread if for people to just make predictions, theses predictions do not need to be 'psychic' in origin and as you can see above some are just making fun 'guesses'.

Personally I'm not saying a rail disaster will happen (I do pretend to be able to tell the future ;)) but i'm putting it in there because I have a 'feeling'.

Feel free to make some predictions yourself, you can make wild guesses or make them based on statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

We do this every year I think.

The last time, someone predicted riots in Dublin if memory serves me correct.

Be interesting to pull up last years.

Reading back, it seems that the Orange march was known before the post was made - so not sure that counts (although it may be incriminating to the poster in question ;) )

Ok Last year we had (and I'm only taking the broad predictions in the first few weeks):
    1. Clare will knock Waterford out of the Munster/Ireland hurling championships Nope
    2. Gaybo will take a short break, possibly due to illness dunno
    3. orange shortage Did something happen with this?
    4. it could be related to riots in Dublin after a orange march is held there and there is subsequently a shortage of member's in the orange order Yes, but most likely an educated guess
    5. will be a huge discovery in astronomy. Maybe life discovered or somthing ( not aliens, but some sort of life, micro or otherwise ) Nothing jumps out
    6. Catholics continue to add to their lead in population growth over Protestants. Talks of a referendum continue to emerge, but none is taken and conditions pretty much remain the same.Educated guess (obvious one too)
    7. The USA remains stuck in Iraq. Although the war was proclaimed as won by Bush long ago, the death toll continues to climb well above the original deaths occurring in the first offensive. Again, obvious commmon sense predictionAmericans become increasingly disaffected with the "won war."
    8. Another scandal occurs with one of Charles's and Dianna's offspring (but we will not say who, just now, and spoil the fun) wouldn't know.
    9. In spite of occasional dips, the price of oil contiues to climb during the course of 2006, as well as record profits for the oil companies. Increased demand from rapidly industrialising China and India, drives the trend, as does the occupying army of former oil man Bush I'm gonna say an easy prediction (again).
    10. Saudi/US ties diminish - assume it has to do with pulling out of the opec agreement or breaking ties with America They *did* switch from Dollar to Euro which screwed things for the US a bit - I'm not sure how obvious a prediction this was though
    11. We'll probably see a pretty big withdrawal from Iraq with the US claiming victory Not even close!
    12. I think it'll be a quite year on the hurrican front, noticeably below average,Not sure but I can't help thinking there'll be some kind of unusuall natural disaster. Quite possibly a meteor strike (not a 'planet-killer' though, more of a 'small-town' killer). More mundane possibilities may be a yellowstone park eruption or the big quake that's supposed to hit the western US at some stage.Nope, don't think so
    13. The death of an A list celeb by road accident? Anyone?
    14. There'll be a nuclear disaster, a Level 4-5 on the IAEA scale. Nothing on the scale of Chernobyl 1986 (Level 7) or even Mayak 1957 (Level 6) but close Nope, thankfully (unless you count that new TV series Jericho

Nothing stands out :(

Glad you didnt dig up the old thread :D

Anyway we'll do much better this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

I think something bad/significant will happen in semptember.Im sorry for being so vague but I'm not sure what.

Also something to do with global warming.Possibly related to the semptember 'prediction.'

Sorry for being so vague

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's a thread from Politics.

I have a feeling that 070707 may be a significant date. Hopefully it will be good.

Ireland will get to WRC final. :rolleyes:
    A breakthrough in cancer treatment?
    Westlife break up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

will be a huge discovery in astronomy. Maybe life discovered or somthing ( not aliens, but some sort of life, micro or otherwise ) Nothing jumps out.

I do believe there was a huge discovery as to water on mars and proof that there was running water on mars in the last 5 years. SO i think that one was the best prediction

matdabomb wrote:
    will be a huge discovery in astronomy. Maybe life discovered or somthing ( not aliens, but some sort of life, micro or otherwise ) Nothing jumps out.

I do believe there was a huge discovery as to water on mars and proof that there was running water on mars in the last 5 years. SO i think that one was the best prediction

Evidence of water was first spotted way back in 2002, more evidence was put forth by the ESA in 2005.

More water was found in 2006, but its hardly a huge find or a huge discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Unfortunately I think there will be a major ferry/ship accident and many will lose their lives. I'm not sure if it will happen this year or when it will happen. It'll be similar in scale to the Herald of Free Enterprise sinking: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/6/newsid_2515000/2515923.stm

6th did you not predict a train crash in the UK, could that thread be made a sticky

*bump

• Advertisement

6th wrote:

The reason I said before the end of July is because in the dream I had my wifey was still pregnant, she's due in July. It was her telling me there had been a crash and she read it on BBC News website.
    The terrible pictures of the Virgin Train strewn across the Cumbrian countryside are a major blow for the railways after a long accident-free period.

The last major incident was at Ufton Nervet in Berkshire in November 2004 when a car across the track was struck by a high speed train, killing six people including the driver.

The last accident in which passengers died as a result of industry error was much longer ago in May 2002.

Then seven people lost their lives when a train was derailed by faulty points at Potters Bar.

The following five-year accident-free period was unprecedented in the railways' 175-year history and did much to allay fears about safety.

Previously they had been heightened after a series of disasters in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Today, the greatest area of concern for the industry will be that the probable cause of this crash is, again, something to do with the track. _42613817_cumbria4_crashsite_629.gif

So seeing as BBC has said that this was a major blow for the railways after a long accident-free period. - was this on the cards and just a good guess?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement