Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing Property

Options
  • 04-01-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Me and the Lady are going viewing some houses for the first time this weekend.
    Has anyone any advise on what to look out for ,pit falls and such, or a check of list I should have with me.
    I know I wont be able account for everything in a single viewing but well its better than going in completely blind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Arrive a few minutes early, and have a drive around the local area. Have a particular look out for abandoned properties, generally scruffy looking properties (indicator of rental/council housing), graffiti, vandalism, & laneways (laneways can be a serious source of headaches).

Big things to look out for in the house -
    Damp - look for mould, damaged wallpaper/paint or stained ceilings.
    Leaks - look around the pipes going into radiators and sinks for signs of damage to the floors or walls. Look at the ceilings underneath upstairs bathrooms. Large stains are indicators of leaky baths/showers.

Don't be too put off by cracks. Many cracks are surface cracks in the plaster, are easily repaired, and are no reliable indicator of underlying problem. Particularly door frames in new homes tend to "come away" from the walls around them as they expand and contract, so although it can look bad, it's not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I assume you are looking at houses to purchase rather than rent.

You really have to see a lot of property to really get an idea of the market, and what makes one property more valuable than another. That is the most important thing to understand.

First thing to do is to look at the location as much as the property. You are basically paying for the location. The difference between locations is basically to do with how long it takes to get to workplaces, and what amenities are available in the area. There is also 'snob value' to consider, don't know if that's an issue for you.

Try not to look at just the pitfalls, try to see the strengths of each property.

Here's what I do.

Go into each room. Stand in the corner (facing into the room!). Look at the room. Does it feel roomy or small? Try to look past the nice paint job and the fancy furniture. How big is it really? Is it bright or dark? How does it interrelate with other rooms? Is it noisy? Look in all the corners. Anything strange that you might not expect? Try and imagine yourself living there.

Then do the same from the end of the back garden, taking an overall view of the building and the size and state. Look carefully, let your own eye guide you. What impression does the house give you? Does stuff look straight? Is it in good repair, or does it need replacement? What's going on next door?

Have a look at the wiring. Does it look new-ish, or very old?

I would be careful about dismissing property out of hand because of what may turn out to be minor blemishes.

Best of luck with your hunt! Don't be surprised if you don't find what you're looking for right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Boyfriend and I have gone through this very recently and the main thing to remember is that you and your Laydee are each going to see different things or have differing opinions on things you've both seen.

You: What did you think of the fireplace in the bedroom?
    Her: There was a fireplace in the bedroom?

I would suggest taking a digital camera with you. This can be a bit difficult and it might be a little awkward but, with us, we were the only people viewing at the time and the estate agent just let us to it so we able to take some sneaky pics. Really helped afterwards and helps keep things straight in your head if you're looking at several properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

"Sneaky pics"? We must have viewed 20+ houses when we were looking last year, and I took pics in all of them. Because your memory is never completely accurate when viewing houses, and there will be things you will confuse from one house to the next, and things you will miss.

I never had a problem taking pics, and we probably dealt with 5 different estate agents over the time we were looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be suspicous of recent decoration.

Check the condition of the plumbing and electrics.

Check the attic for insulation.

See what its like at 8-10pm on a Friday / Saturday night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement