Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone fancy doing classes?

Options
  • 04-01-2007 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭LonesamuraiX

..with me that is? I reckon my level of Japanese is pretty good (since I've been told as much by the Japanese I know quite well) and having studied for three years, I have a solid knowledge of grammar from beginner level up to (but not including) Level 1 on the JLPT exam - ikkyuu in other words.

I took a couple of students for private grinds in Leaving Cert. Japanese and covered that course too...so can teach it and, um, just basically love the language and for those who attend the 12.30-2pm Ilac Centre library exchange meetings, you'll probably know already that you don't really tend to learn anything there. Would be interested in getting a group class going, now that I'm back in Dublin again, and if I supplied materials and kept the price affordable (depending on no.s maybe just 10/15 yoyos a head for an hour long class) we could engage in serious or casual conversation / grammar & phonetics from keigo (polite language) to everyday insults and stuff that comes up in anime. I'd throw in cultural stuff too when needed (and anythin' on film since I wrote a MA thesis on Japanese cinema).

Seems like a quiet board so spread the word and please post here if you're interested! Cheers.

PS may also have some materials for sale if anyone is planning on doing the JLPT at level 3 or 2 this year (and god knows, it's hard as hell trying to find post-elementary study aids in Dublin) .. just give me some time on that one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭LonesamuraiX

Mm, 18 views till now yet no replies. Chotto gakkuri da naa (bit disappointing).. I'm not trying to sell something as such nor am I trying to be a mercenary teacher looking for work. It's about Japanese, meeting others who love Japanese or who are interested in learning, exploring Japanese and perhaps, to a smaller extend, also trying to disprove this country's reputation for being incredibly lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages (no, really, no need for flaming, that's how the Irish are often seen with regards to language). Don't be shy, write a few words here - t'would be a shame to give up on this idea. Before I lived in Japan, I would've been happy to hear from someone informed about life, work, culture, relationships etc. over there & get some language training :) Won't add any more posts though..

PS private lessons / grinds etc fine too & feel free to PM instead of posting.

so.. 91 views but not one person gives a **** enough to get the ball rolling. oh well, my offer to organise & teach a group is now withdrawn & it's pretty pathetic that despite people's fascination with the culture, anime etc and the growing numbers of Japanese here (who *somehow* decide to come to this GREAT cosmopolitan city of ours), interest in this board and obviously Japanese itself - despite more and more people taking it at Leaving Cert Level or going out to Japan to work - is clearly far deader than I originally feared. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You're annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

so.. 91 views but not one person gives a **** enough to get the ball rolling. oh well, my offer to organise & teach a group is now withdrawn & it's pretty pathetic that despite people's fascination with the culture, anime etc and the growing numbers of Japanese here (who *somehow* decide to come to this GREAT cosmopolitan city of ours), interest in this board and obviously Japanese itself - despite more and more people taking it at Leaving Cert Level or going out to Japan to work - is clearly far deader than I originally feared. :mad:

Did it ever cross your mind that the 91 people who looked at this thread might not want to learn Japanese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Or maybe not everyone who posts on this site is from Dublin? I know I looked at this thread at first, then saw the location, and though to myself, that's no good. So I went and lined up some Japanese lessons in Galway, thanks very much.

• Advertisement

** Message from Mod: Sorry LonesamuraiX, I meant to add the replies below at the end of the thread, but I clicked on 'Edit' rather than 'Quote' and had saved before I realized this! Gomen nasai :o **

I KNEW as soon as I was forced to give up and put an end to this idea (started with GOOD intentions, gone unnoticed) that the low-life muppets would crawl out of the woodwork to flame

You brought it on yourself with your third post. I appreciate the effort and offer you initially made in the thread, but your frustration in lack of replies is no excuse to vent here.
    MODERATOR!! Kindly close this thread before any more attempt to join in...

I'll give you a chance to try to dig yourself out of this hole first.

• Maybe it's because of how you come across, throwing a hissy fit because 18 people had seen the page and nobody replied. Do you think if you stuck a paper notice on a message board, everyone who saw it would ring you up asking for classes? No, of course not. Are people not allowed to open a thread without committing themselves to Japanese classes now? :rolleyes:

It has already been mentioned that some interested people live outside Dublin. I do live in Dublin, but I already take classes from a Japanese native who charges much less than 10-15 euros an hour - I can't afford to pay that much. I have access to films, music, recorded TV shows and Japanese cooking classes for free. I don't appreciate being called lazy at learning languages because I didn't reply to your post - I already attend French and Spanish conversation groups several times a week, as well as language classes, thank-you.

Maybe you should find a better place to advertise than one Internet forum but I'd change my attitude if I were you. I did have some interest in your classes (hence why I opened the thread) but I definitely don't now. Nobody is obliged to take up your 'offer.' There are plenty of other teachers without the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

When I read this thread initially, my first reaction was to report the original post as advertising. However, because it was in this forum, I decided not to, as I fugured your mod would have a look at it as it may have been beneficial to some.

When nobody took you up on the offer, you spat the dummy. Myself and Karl Hungus pointed out a few facts and you accuse us of "spouting ignorance".

Would you care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well I'm sure someone with the patience of LonesamuraiX would make a brilliant teacher. What a child...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Closed - advertising without permission is generally frowned upon - please dont do it again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement