Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No ITunes Cd

Options
  • 04-01-2007 2:22pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mods will you please move this if not in correct forum! Time for rant...
    About a week before Christmas met the gf's family and her brother had got an ipod nano but couldnt use it as he got no ITunes. I told him stop annoying me that he should have got a cd! So fast forward a week and my gf gives me an ipod shuffle for Christmas, I already have a 2nd gen ipod but it is giving trouble and also a bit heavy for jogging with. Anyhow, no ITunes cd with it. I have an old version of ITunes and updated it to 7.0.1 about a month ago and when I connect the shuffle it tells me I need 7.0.2. Now this absolutely ridiculous that the software is not provided. You may think I am mental / stupid but if you pay €90 or even more for something you do not get all that you need to get it functional. You are told go to a website to download it? What about people with no internet connection. I have dial up at home as I dont use the internet very often at home as I spend the majority of my working day surfing it at work! Fortunately I have friend with broadband and wireless who helped me out.
    Am I getting worked up over nothing???
    End of rant...

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Try fitting a CD into the box for a shuffle ;)

It's based on the belief that everyone has an internet connection and can therefore download the latest version rather than loading from a CD which will contain a version with bugs fixed by subsequent version. Probably reduces support calls as well.

7.0.2 came out in October and contained support for the newest shuffle http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061031162827.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

if you were never to buy a song off I tunes then yes its annoying but the shipping cost and the end user price have been reduced due to a smaller package

They should give a choice on the website to ship CD maybe as a seperate item but the assumption is if you were ordering online then download Itunes there and then and burn it onto a cd to have when ur iPOD arrives

Lastly not providing the cd allows the latest version to be kept updated on the site and avoid people borrowing their friends cd from an older IPOD that may not work with the new ones etc etc etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Trying to fit a cd in a shuffle box would be funny indeed!

Both ipod's were bought in a shop so I guess the shop should ask the buyer if they have internet access! If not I presume they should supply the software?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

End of rant...
    Deffo. Move on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Iv'e bought plenty of small things (cheap mps player, usb hub etc) that, because of small packaging came with an 8cm driver cd. It is possible. I reckon the reason is financial rather than size restrictions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stekelly wrote:
    Iv'e bought plenty of small things (cheap mps player, usb hub etc) that, because of small packaging came with an 8cm driver cd. It is possible. I reckon the reason is financial rather than size restrictions.

While it could be possible and I realise it could be a inconvenience to some people I still don't think there's a need for them to ship the software with the device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Well if the ipod was supported natively by windows (like almost all other flash based mp3 players) then that issue would be solved. (I might actually
    consider buying an iPod if it was.)

But until then, I think it wouldn't be too hard for shops to stock cds with the
    latest iTunes on it and ask customers when they buy a product if they also need
    a cd.

Still, its only a small thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jimmy2shoes

some shop i bought one from asked if i had an internet connection as you neeed to download itunes. it isn't really a problem as most people have the internet and those that don't surely know someone who does. alsop the prices of the ipods are about 50 euro cheaper than last year. i know which one i would rather buy. for copywrite reasons shops can't give a copy of itunes without apples express agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

internet connection dont matter if you fdont have broadband..........the file size is HUGE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I always told the customers I served in work, that they needed the internet to download I-tunes. I think OP, you were ill-informed when purchasing the nano, but its a very easy thing to get and download, so calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Some shops were giving out CDs aswell. A lot of the staff would proberly be happy to burn you a copy of iTunes even, if they had a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

In reality the software should come ready for installation on the device. Hooking it up should auto install it. I got myself a shuffle, but can't upgrade to 7.0.2, think it needs SP2 of XP, so won't work, but thats another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304222
    iPod products introduced on or after 12 Sept 2006 do not include an iPod or iTunes Install CD and require an Internet connection for use. If you have not already done so, you should download and install the most recent version of iTunes from: www.apple.com/ipod/start

Note that an Internet connection is required to install iTunes so you can sync to iPod and also to restore or update your iPod.
    Not to mention necessary to find out that your iPod is useless without the software...

I hope its labelled good and big somewhere on the box, because its just wrong to have a non-standard Windows device ship without letting people know they will need an internet connection to use it, IMO. Especially one with such a high profile as the iPod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's on the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

OP - The reason for no software is because Apple have now marketed their Music devices for online purchasing on the I-store. Ok you might say that you want to upload your CD's to work on the Device but Apple want you to spend money. Typically if bought in a store it really should be up to the salesperson to inform you of the neccesity of I-tunes. They clearly state on all boxes for online music btw. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

IPods require iTunes. I can't honestly which of the 2 are worse.

Get a proper mp3 player. They're (often) cheaper, better and will run off the OS so no additonal software required. I recommend Archos http://www.archos.com (the best) or Philips etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dotsman wrote:

Get a proper mp3 player. They're (often) cheaper, better and will run off the OS so no additonal software required. I recommend Archos http://www.archos.com (the best) or Philips etc

While this may be true I have yet to see anything beat a ipod when it comes to the controlling interface for accessing and playing music on the device,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

dotsman wrote:

it dont require itunes.............you can load music onto it with most programs

Advertisement