Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation : Questions

Options
  • 04-01-2007 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Everyone,

First post. Basically the case is this. Bought a brand new Domer house, approx 2200 square foot last February. Initially when we moved in it was cold but warmed up to a certain degree. Upstairs it seems nice and warm but I'm still not happy about dowstairs. To me it seems no where near as warm as it should be.

Now, first thing, the radiators are very warm. Also been up to the attic. Now a Dormer attic is different than a normal house. Can't explain but hopefully there are those of you here that know what I mean.

In the attic between the joists, there is only about 4 1/2 to 5 inches of fibgreglass insulation. So my 1st question is what should it be for a Dormer house, is it 250mm, and if so , is this a recommendation or law, in which case if the builder won't do anything about it, I can go to small claims court.

2nd question is am I making any sense. Is it possible that the 2nd floor is heating up but not downstairs and not having enough insulation is the cause

or

would the 2nd floor not heat as well if the attic was not insulated enough.

We are in the countryside, so very exposed.

Wonder if anyone had ideas.

Could it be the attic?, or I'm wondering also could it be the heating system isn't able to heat downstairs(i.e. rad's aren't big enough) or maybe somehitng else.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

We always put in 400mm in the roofs as standard.
    If you have so little insulation in the roof the walls are probably equally as bad but yes you are probably loosing most of your heat through your roof.
    How many m2 is the house and how much per year is your heating bill?
    Also how many kw's is your boiler?

Advertisement