Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mash Potatoes

• 04-01-2007 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Does anyone cook their mashed potatoes by boiling with the skin on and then putting them in the blender and mixing with butter/milk etc. I’ve seen this being done on telly before and wondered what it would be like.

It seems like an easier way to do them…. cause i hate standing over the sink and peeling the spuds..

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jencar01 wrote:
    Does anyone cook their mashed potatoes by boiling with the skin on and then putting them in the blender and mixing with butter/milk etc. I’ve seen this being done on telly before and wondered what it would be like.

It seems like an easier way to do them…. cause i hate standing over the sink and peeling the spuds..

i make them with the skin on and without a blender, usually only with a bit of butter, salt and pepper. Get some nice potatoes, give them a good wash before hand and they are lovely. call them 'crushed' potato for that eating out feeling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are you guys leaving the skins on completely?

Once boiled it is far easier to peel them and there is less waste since it really is only the skin that falls off.

Putting them in a blender will make creamed potatoes. I have seen chefs put them in those press things, like big garlic presses, it presses the potato through once rather than mashing with a large grid masher, it keeps a lot of the fibre of the potato intact so there is more "bite" to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

mash with the skins on?

yuck.

i peel the potatoes, chop them up, boil them in salted water, mash with butter and milk

if i'm feeling fancy, add onions, put in dish, cover in cheese and put in the over.

yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rubadub wrote:
    I have seen chefs put them in those press things, like big garlic presses, it presses the potato through once rather than mashing with a large grid masher, it keeps a lot of the fibre of the potato intact so there is more "bite" to it.
    They're called potato ricers for some strange reason. I've got one, but can never be bothered to use it, or more importantly to wash it up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Peeled and boiled in Salted water (Garden or Whites!)
    Mashed with Salt & Pepper & Butter & Chopped Scallions & Parsely!
    I'm droolin here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alun wrote:
    They're called potato ricers for some strange reason. I've got one, but can never be bothered to use it, or more importantly to wash it up :)

Thats it, I presume it is because it comes out about the same thickness as rice, and since it tends to flake/break up it looks a bit like rice.

If I had one I would like to put some loosely on a tray and use some spray oil on it, then bake it. I reckon the large surface area would make it crisp up really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, my bf peels after they are boiled; doesn't even bother to clean the mud off them; just chucks 'em in the water. YUK! of course i hope i'm changing his ways for the better.

i peel 'em, boil 'em in salted water, drain, then salt, pepper, sunflower spread and oatmilk ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Skin on and then mash with a potato masher. Fantastic! The skin is the best part imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

My mam always used to peel potatoes first but I'm too lazy to bother. Tastes better with the skins I think and contains more nutrients (if you don't boil them all out of the potatoes that is!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I peel them after they are boiled and mash them, no point in cleaning them before hand. Do most people add milk to theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If they're new pots or baby pots, I'll boil with skin on, lob massive knob of butter in, sea salt, chopped parsley, and squash with a fork - no mashing. Yummity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ususally i'd peel em and cube em before boiling. sometimes i peel them after boilng but only peel half and mash the other half with skins on, im only half lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Boil for a few mins, then steam them for about 20-30 mins. Take out, wrap in a towel and leave till they turn fluffy. Serve with sour cream and lots of chives or baby spring onions. (had this last night, yummy)

Advertisement