Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PLG gone from rangers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

interesting....anyone got anymore on this story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Chairman David Murray said: "Having met with Paul it was clear that in the interests of the club we agreed jointly to him stepping down as manager." The Frenchman had stripped Barry Ferguson of the captaincy after claiming the player was undermining him in the dressing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PAUL LE GUEN''S reign as Rangers manager is over after just seven months - making it shortest reign in the club's history.

Rangers Football Club today announced by mutual agreement with Manager Paul Le Guen that he will relinquish his position as Manager of the first team with immediate effect.

Chairman Sir David Murray commented: "Having met with Paul it was clear that in the interests of the Club and all concerned we agreed jointly to him stepping down as Manager.

"We are all clearly disappointed with our current circumstances and will now focus on securing a suitable replacement. I would like to wish Paul and his management team well in the future."

Paul Le Guen stated: "I am disappointed to leave the Club, but I think it is the best solution for all concerned.I would like to thank all the people who helped me and my team during my spell in Scotland.

"In particular I would like to thank the Directors who at all times gave me their total support."

There will be no further comment from the Club regarding the Manager's position, Reserve Team Coach Ian Durrant will be temporarily responsible for first team training.
    http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,5~960039,00.html

Barry Ferguson wins so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's a sad day when a player can force a manager out of a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Its a shame as i think he is a really talented manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Despite LeGuen's poor results over his reign I don't see why anyone would take this job at present........................apart from Barry Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He was incredible for Lyon, I expect him to get snaped up very quickly, never understood why he went to Rangers in the first place, it's not like they are bigger than Lyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

They have the potential to be as good as Lyons he probably wanted the challenge , plus bucketloads of cash talk too:)

PHB wrote:
    He was incredible for Lyon, I expect him to get snaped up very quickly, never understood why he went to Rangers in the first place, it's not like they are bigger than Lyon.
    Considering how well Houllier is doing at Lyon it must be one of the easiest jobs in the world. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

PHB wrote:

I tend to agree. I have to admit that I was very surprised wheh he went to Rangers, I would have thought some of the major Spanish/Italian clubs would have "taken a look at him".

The decision to sack him (or let him go) was not that surprising as Rangers supporters wouldn't tolerate being 17 odd points behind Celtic. Whoever takes over shouldn't be expected to win the title this year, as even the most ardent Rangers supporter would have to admit that the tite race is over.

Le Guen won't be out of a job for long, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So one (distinctly average) player is bigger than the club at Rangers. Le Guen was too good for them anyway.

I have to say, Rangers would be nothing this season without Ferguson. When he returned from Blackburn he was very average for months but this season he's back to his best. No player should be bigger than the manager though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Last Season, Ferguson was dogged with a injury that he was taking injections for. I suspect that was behind the crap form. Much better this season.

Le Guen wanted out after the St. Mirren game and he knew that knocking Ferguson off the pedestal would get him out of the contract, and more importantly, by mutual constent €€€€.

No self respecting manager will touch that job. Celtic for 10 in a row now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

eirebhoy wrote:
    I have to say, Rangers would be nothing this season without Ferguson. When he returned from Blackburn he was very average for months but this season he's back to his best. No player should be bigger than the manager though.

I think hes pretty average tbh.

Hes bunked up with the chairman, only one winner :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I'm starting to believe that Le Guen was simply looking for a way out as well. He probably only realised the mess of a club he had joined far too late. A change from Ligue 1 champions and Champions League football to a an SPL side in decline playing the likes of Falkirk and St. Mirren week in, week out is too much IMO.

I always thought he could do better, I predict a continental club will hire him. Either way its Ranger's loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Player power wins again and I believe Le Guen is being tipped to take over at PSG fairly soon so I wonder was he tapped up and engineered this situation :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If Ferguson was beheaving perfectly normally and didnt do anything that merited him being stripped of his captaincy then i am sure we would of heard about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I don't see how its player power here (assuming you mean "Ferguson-power" and not his team-mates), there was a clash of personalities between Ferguson and Le Guen, thats fair enough. The fans certainly made it clear who they sided with at Motherwell the other day, as did Kris Boyd.

The fans got their way, but Le Guen was hardly setting the world alight at Rangers now, was he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dunno how true it is but there was some religous tension between catholic PLG and catholic hater BF. BF bringing the players out on the piss in newcastle being the last straw for PLG hence dropping him.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    catholic hater BF

Well given that Barry Ferguson is married to a Catholic I'd say thats bs of the highest order.

• Advertisement

What I'd love to know is who's making decisions on transfers atm. It looks like they're getting Webster on loan and have suddenly emerged as favourites to get Brown and Thomson from Hibs.
    Either way its Ranger's loss.
    How? He was a complete failure? Most of his signings have flopped and Rangers struggled in almost every match. John Barnes was more succesful.

Chief Executive usually handles signings but at the direction of the manager. I suppose they'll continue after the Hibs duo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

How La Revolution has backfired on Rangers

There were strong rumours within Glasgow a few weeks back that PLG was looking for a way out as his stock was plummeting nearly as fast as Rangers. This whole scenerio appears to have been engineered by Le Guen to get out before his time with Rangers sucked ever deeper into the mire.

PLG arrived here in Scotland with a massive reputation wgo was going to swat all others aside and he managed to turn Rangers into one of the worst teams I have seen play in the blue. His signings have not not been good for a guy that has such a reputation.

Cant turn anything around in 7 months. He needed 2 seasons. Imagine us sacking Strachan after Bratislava and Motherwell games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

KdjaCL wrote:
    Dunno how true it is but there was some religous tension between catholic PLG and catholic hater BF. BF bringing the players out on the piss in newcastle being the last straw for PLG hence dropping him.

kdjac

First I have heard of this, where did this come from? I very much doubt it, although Ferguson is a ned I don't think he is a catholic hater. I can certainly believe certain Rangers fans not liking PLG because of it though.

Ferguson is married to a Catholic woman, AFAIK.

Dempsey wrote:
    Ferguson is married to a Catholic woman, AFAIK.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Well given that Barry Ferguson is married to a Catholic I'd say thats bs of the highest order.

Sorry mate, i missed that post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Like Dub In Glasgow said, this is the worst Rangers team I've seen in all my years of watching football. PLG has to take responsibility, especially considering his signings and some match tactics have been awful. The situation with Ferguson was a complete debacle handled awfully by PLG. Also, I think that he's fallen into the same trap that Houllier did at Liverpool. Like Houiller, PLG tried to bring the French game to his club. The problem is though, that the majority of the squad have played completely different type of football all their lives.

• Advertisement

I think PLG made the Ferguson maneuvre to get the mutual consent. We resign when you can get paid to leave! Me thinks PLG isnt that stupid

Advertisement