Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with high revs

Options
  • 04-01-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

So here's my problem. I bought a car within the last year - and it's about 1.5 years old now.

Pretty much out of the blue over Christmas I have noticed that it has a few problems. It seems to rev very high - 2-3k revs as soon as I turn on the ignition... and before you ask this is in neutral, without my foot on the gas.

This seems to be a problem in the low gears whenever I have the clutch down and changing gears and lasts for quite a well but then seems to go away.

Anybody got any ideas? should I go back to the dealer - would this be covered by manuacturers warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep - take it back to the dealer. It should be covered by warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Modern engines with fuel injection run at higher revs on colder days when they are started up - older cars had chokes and did the same thing. Once the engine is warm the ECU supplies a leaner mixture and the engine runs at lower revs. Its probably normal, it just wasn't cold enough for you to notice it before.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

He is saying 2 to 3 THOUSAND revs!! thats what you get when driving at 5th gear doing between 80 to 100 km/h

That is definatly NOT normal.
    Take it back... quick!!

Saruman wrote:
    He is saying 2 to 3 THOUSAND revs!! thats what you get when driving at 5th gear doing between 80 to 100 km/h

That is definatly NOT normal.
    Take it back... quick!!
    Or it could be the mat in the footwell catching the accelerator pedal and holding it off the rest. It could be ANYTHING but if it stops after a while it is unlikely to be terminal. Get a mechanic to check it and don't depend on people in an internet forum to be able to diagnose a problem without seeing it firsthand - I mean 2-3 MILLION revs is sooooo hhhuuuuugggeee man!!

Interceptors Second Law: If you don't put your finger in it, you will put your foot in it.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interceptors Second Law: If you don't put your finger in it, you will put your foot in it

LOL - glad you're back, 'cptr. Where were ya?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    LOL - glad you're back, 'cptr. Where were ya?
    Oh lurking in the background. I moved over to the darkside (octane.ie) for a while and I recently bought a few motorbikes and have been annoying the folk on biker.ie

Anyhew, I'll spend a while seeing if I can get banned and spamming Hyundai owners...

'cptr

Advertisement