Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Motherboard

Options
  • 04-01-2007 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Need to replace the Motherboard in a Compaq Presario Celeron, USB connections, Celeron Processor Model 5456.
    Motherboard Model is Pwa-shelby UIB1.

Does anyone know where I could pickup the same board or a board that will be able to replace it.

Why do I feel like a dumb blonde asking for someone to change a tyre :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

From the little info I can make out it was an Intel i810 socket 370 motherboard very old by today's standards. Buying a new socket 370 motherboard would be very difficult from any of the regular outlets.

eBay is your best chance to track down such a piece of hardware or some of those dedicated Compaq repair parts sites though they are mostly USA only.

If Compaq also changed the wiring on the PSU or did anything odd to the board layout so you could not replace it with off the shelf parts (a common practice then) you will have another hurdle to over come.

Here is the entry on HP's site for the Compaq Presario 5456 & basically confirms the above that it is an Intel i810 chipset for socket 370 CPU's possibly a microATX form factor not entirely sure on that myself.

The closet thing I can see to as a match on eBay is this board it has the same number of PCI slots (4) & is the same chipset so it should fit provided Compaq adhered to the standards. If the new board did not fit then you would most likely need to gut the Compaq system and rebuild it in a new case with the new motherboard to get it up & running.

I think it would be a lot easer to buy the lowest/cheapest end machine from Dell rather than upgrading or rebuilding the Compaq given it's age, you can pull the hard drive from it and put it in an external box and just plug it into the new Dell system to get your files from it.

Advertisement