Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gears of War - Killing General Raam

• 04-01-2007 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I'm stuck at the end boss. ***So, if you haven't got to end yet, you may not want to read on. Not exactly spoilers here, but just so you know***

I'm playing single player, and to be honest, Dom is about as useful in a fight as a soggy beermat. He just runs into the dark and dies. Sometimes straight away, sometimes after a minute. Anyway... I've been reading up on various guides about the best way to kill Raam. However, they ALL say to use the Torque Bow. I don't have it. Has anyone defeated him without it, and if so, how?

I've gone close a few times, but in the end he always gets me in melee, or his kryll get me when I try to move into another area of light.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

I done it with the sniper rifle with another person in co-op. Both of us stayed up at the first barrier when you come out of the train carrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I was just speaking with Beruthiel about this. Apparently the key to it is to make sure that the flying kryll are away from his body before you shoot him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, but don't have anyone to do co-op with, so I'm on my own.

How long did it take you? I lasted about 5 minutes at one stage but the fecker still didn't drop.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You could do it with grenades / rifle, but it would probably be easier to reload an earlier part of the chapter to when you just got on the train. You can get your bow there.

Still quite hard by yourself! (Done it on casual so far only)

Another big thing is your reload. Keep practicing til you get that down pat. Saves you time on reloading and your shots count for more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He's easy to kill if you know how. You can't hurt him when he is surrounded by the cloud of kryll. When the cloud dissipates just plug him as much as you can with the torque bow or whatever you have. I killed him with about 10 shots. Run into a lit area if he comes close.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    I was just speaking with Beruthiel about this. Apparently the key to it is to make sure that the flying kryll are away from his body before you shoot him.
    Yep, got that. And they move with explosions, or when you move into the dark. Been doing that, still no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

However, they ALL say to use the Torque Bow. I don't have it. Has anyone defeated him without it, and if so, how?

It's in the arms carraige just before you met Raam. If you're facing back the way you came, it's on your left. By the carraige wall.

Pick up the torque bow and the sniper rifle. Use the torque bow to bring the krill shield down then headshots with the sniper rifle (using active reload to amplify the damage). If you hit him with headshots he won't advance on your position (at least not as fast) and you should never have to leave the initial cover position.

Alternatively, get one of the guys from here to play co op with ya.

I would but we're still waiting for BB to be installed :rolleyes:

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Use the sniper rifle if you weren't carrying it to begin with it's in the car before the cut scene begins. As he walks towards to you fling grenades at him and hit him with the sniper rifle when the kryll move away.

Eit: quad_red beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

There was already a thread about this and was pretty helpful to me, the torque bow is up against the wall behind you if you are facing the sniper rifle at the begining.
    I ended up out of arrows, sniper rifle bullets and shooting him in the face with my pistol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The Torque bow is in the room where the checkpoint is. It's easy to miss though, it's at the window. On the side where you load, where the sniper rifle and ammo crates are, look near the window instead. It should be there.

I used grenades, a torque bow, and a shotgun. Killed him on Hardcore co-op and it seemed easy. Did it on Insane on my own and took a bit longer but still very do-able.

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote:
    It's in the arms carraige just before you met Raam. If you're facing back the way you came, it's on your left. By the carraige wall.

I'm afraid not. I got the sniper rifle there alright, and some grenades and ammo. Around the other side is a machine gun, but not the torque bow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

The perfect study distraction!! Logging on now, invite me! (SmellyIrishMan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Make sure you use active reloads

koneko wrote:
    The Torque bow is in the room where the checkpoint is. It's easy to miss though, it's at the window. On the side where you load, where the sniper rifle and ammo crates are, look near the window instead. It should be there.

Really? Great stuff, I'll check it out later.

As for active reload... would you believe, I got right to the end without bothering with it. Should've read the manual :D

I'll give both of those a go tonight, thanks lads.

Yep, got that. And they move with explosions, or when you move into the dark. Been doing that, still no joy.

Don't leave the initial cover position. Move behind the cement block. Pop up to take the kryll down with the torque bow then duck and switch straight to sniper rifle (even before the torque bow reloads). You should get 2/3 headshots in. The kryll shield goes back up. Reload the sniper rifle.

Switch back to Torque bow and active reload it. Pop up, take the kryll shield down. Duck, then come back up with the sniper rifle. Headshot. Duck. Active Reload. Headshot. Duck. Active Reload.

Rinse and Repeat.

At that rate Raam will never reach you. It's about timing and headshot accuracy. Once you nail him once you'll never have a problem again.

I'll give both of those a go tonight, thanks lads.

Tonight? Boo, we can do this! The world cannot wait!

Active reload would definitely be handy, gets him down quicker :)

I used the grenades and torque bow mainly to get the kryll off him, then you can hit him full force in the face with the sniper rifle or shotgun (depending on which of the two you bring). He'll be dead before you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As for active reload... would you believe, I got right to the end without bothering with it. Should've read the manual :D
    I didn't know about it until the end too. That and running, I didn't realise you could run/run-cover until the last couple of parts!

Funnily enough, so did I. But you'll kick his ass once you start using it and it's essential to deal with Hardcore and Insane.

Tonight? Boo, we can do this! The world cannot wait!

Ok man, if I still can't do it I'll give you a shout. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Wewt! Let's do this!

Cole Train Baby! (I know, I'll be Dom, but he has no blacktastic catchphrases)

Edit; are you still trying now or waiting until later?

Tonight. Some of us have work to do, we're not all filthy students you know!

Aww, oh well, back to study. Saving the world can always wait... :)

Work = brewing the final plan of attack against your evil arch nemises General RAMM on an internet forum? I want that job!

Pff lazy bum students. I'd help Grow Up Kids, but I won't be home till late ish I suspect. I'll check here tho and if you haven't done it yet I'll pop on then.

Aww, oh well, back to study. Saving the world can always wait... :)

Work = brewing the final plan of attack against your evil arch nemises General RAMM on an internet forum? I want that job!
    A company I previously worked for announced they were moving to a different location, so a few of us (who weren't making the move) had to work out 3 months redundancy. We hooked up a PS2 to the projector and 20ft screen in the training room and had 3 months of mammoth FIFA tournaments. Then at the end of the 3 months, we all got a nice big cheque and went on our merry way.

THAT'S the sort of job you want :D

A company I previously worked for announced they were moving to a different location, so a few of us (who weren't making the move) had to work out 3 months redundancy. We hooked up a PS2 to the projector and 20ft screen in the training room and had 3 months of mammoth FIFA tournaments. Then at the end of the 3 months, we all got a nice big cheque and went on our merry way.

THAT'S the sort of job you want :D

Brilliant!

But now I hate you too much to help :p.

Looks around suspiciously.

No one in my workplace checks internet usage. If they did, I'd be dead.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

We beat him last night, but I was playing poker and wasnt watching the TV.
    My friend said he used grenades, I have to try myself as Im stuck there myself.

exiot wrote:
    We beat him last night, but I was playing poker and wasnt watching the TV.
    My friend said he used grenades, I have to try myself as Im stuck there myself.

It's hardly 'we' if you weren't even looking at the screen! :D

Anyway, grenades do the same as the torque bow in clearing the kryll shield. But use the sniper rifle to take him down. It's by far the fastest way. And using the torque bow to clear the kryll is easier, faster and can be done from farther away (hence safer).

Grenades either take aiming (opening you up to a hammering) or Raam needs to be close enough so you can just chuck em at him.

Neither of those is very good.

• Advertisement

FINALLY I did it!

I found the torque bow, and had 6 attempts, no joy. Got very close a couple of times, but no cigar. So, Dom was pissing me off and I told him to cease fire from the very start of the next attempt. He hid behind a crate. By doing so, it meant the Kryll went for me from the beginning, meaning that Raam was left exposed for longer because the Kryll were coming all the way down to me, allowing me to get 3 shots in on Raam. Anyway, because it was working, gob****e here (me) started getting ahead of myself and missing like Ronnie Rosenthal. So the ****er got right on top of me, and just as he was about to melee me, I fired the jammiest blind shot ever over the concrete block, and down he went.

I'm a happy man :D

Congratz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I remember I spent ages trying to get to that chain-gun [behind raam] thinking that was the only way to kill him, but as its dark the kyrl always got me. I only actually killed him out of luck, by blind firing at him with a shogun over that first block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

in the car before you come to raam, the torquebox is lieing against the right hand wall. Pick it up.

The trick to getting raam is shooting his face when the krill are not on him, firing while the krill are there reduces the dmg to nothing.

Launch a torque into either his chest or face, and upon explosion the krill will leave him for some time. During this window, blast his face with either your lancer or the sniper rifle.

After doing this combo about 6-8 times he will die.

You can use dom to good effect if you keep calling regroup, you can keep him alive, but he does jsut die all the time so i wouldnt bother.

In co-op you can take him down in a matter of minutes...if you are good..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

in the car before you come to raam, the torquebox is lieing against the right hand wall. Pick it up.

The trick to getting raam is shooting his face when the krill are not on him, firing while the krill are there reduces the dmg to nothing.

Launch a torque into either his chest or face, and upon explosion the krill will leave him for some time. During this window, blast his face with either your lancer or the sniper rifle.

After doing this combo about 6-8 times he will die.

You can use dom to good effect if you keep calling regroup, you can keep him alive, but he does jsut die all the time so i wouldnt bother.

In co-op you can take him down in a matter of minutes...if you are good..

Hahaha - after reading through this thread from start to finish as Grow Up Kids struggled to overcome RAAM and then finally just reported doing it - i gotta say the above post is probably the funniest thing I've read in a while. Little bit late there, TheDoc ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

meh wasnt arsed readin through, just the way to do it it easily...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Branoic wrote:
    Hahaha - after reading through this thread from start to finish as Grow Up Kids struggled to overcome RAAM and then finally just reported doing it - i gotta say the above post is probably the funniest thing I've read in a while. Little bit late there, TheDoc ;)
    muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I had just got the resonator when the next cut scene appeared in which the guys are running away in daylight, and then it froze during the cut scene. The disc read error came up and I has to take the disc out to clean it, but dammit I thought it would have saved the progress after colecting the resonator as it stated i unlocked an achievemnt but sure enough when i loaded the game up again i was just about the go into the ststaion to get the resonator again.

Just annoying i guess, only second time it happened, but ughhhh again annoying.

BTW am I near the end at all?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It saves at the end of the cut scenes not at the start :/

You are going onto the last level now IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

o ok thanks ciaran500, hopefully it doesnt freeze in the same place again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

s8n wrote:
    muppet

Lighten up there, buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

your comment merited the response "buddy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Did anyone kill him by just being cheeky and staying behind the first block for ages? I remember spending far too long doing the aul torque bow/sniper approach but I obviously wasn't doing it effectively as he kept killing me, so I went a bit renegade and just hid behind the block and did some madcap blind firing... he doesn't melee you until he walks around the block, so he'll stand on the other side/corner of the block for a fair oul while and you can just blind shoot his ass... and then jump over the other side when he eventually walks around. Magic. :)

I beat him coop on insane the other night, me with the bow, other guy with sniper. After our initial assault and my run to the other side my coop buddy was down. Didn't want to risk reviving him immediately so I popped a few grenades over for ram blindly to sample. He enjoyed them so much he keeled over dead. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Did anyone else kill him with the chain gun that was mounted on the train or did ye all use the regular weapons?

I think I did on casual, but you have to be running for it as the kryll are going back to ram, and he'd probably want to be very far away too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Did anyone else kill him with the chain gun that was mounted on the train or did ye all use the regular weapons?

I didn't know that was possible... I just thought it was a bit of a red herring

it's a honey pot?? Cos it's in the dark AND out in the open you're left open to the kryll and Raam's chain gun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I killed Raam on Casual there a while back, but now ive after doing hardcore mode all the way thru and now im back at Raam and just cant kill him. I try the method of using the Torque Bow to get the Kryll away from Raam and then the sniper to headshot him but its just too slow switching between the 2 and before i know it Raam is rite beside me, I cant seem to keep him back in the distance, he comes up to me in literally a minute and im dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Gonzo wrote:
    I killed Raam on Casual there a while back, but now ive after doing hardcore mode all the way thru and now im back at Raam and just cant kill him. I try the method of using the Torque Bow to get the Kryll away from Raam and then the sniper to headshot him but its just too slow switching between the 2 and before i know it Raam is rite beside me, I cant seem to keep him back in the distance, he comes up to me in literally a minute and im dead.

Just plug him with the bow gun than.

If he gets very close to you you can run to the opposite side, there's a mirror image cover position on the other side. Start over and keep plugging him from the other side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement