Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying N80 internet edition

• 04-01-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi there, would appreciate some help.

Am looking to buy the Nokia N80 Internet edition, primarily to make calls using my Wi-Fi nework.

I found one for sale at komplett below.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325660

Can people advise me on where else I may find it for sale and/or if there are other phones which can offer dual cellular/Wifi functionality out there??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Bought mine on ebay! Normally you can find somebody ofloading barely used ones there. And only cost €320

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Hi there, would appreciate some help.

Am looking to buy the Nokia N80 Internet edition, primarily to make calls using my Wi-Fi nework.

I found one for sale at komplett below.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325660

Can people advise me on where else I may find it for sale and/or if there are other phones which can offer dual cellular/Wifi functionality out there??

Thanks in advance

You can also purchase a standard N80 and have it reflashed with N80 Internet Edition firmware.

Also look at the E61, with the latest ver 3 firmware it now supports STUN for VoIP, not sure if N80IE does this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Thanks UuuhPatsy,

How are you finding the N80i...any regrets??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I owned the latest version of the N80 (internet ed) and used it for more than 3 months. I agree the phone is superior to almost all phones BUT, I eventually had to replace it with the N73 and with no regrets really. Why?

1. The battery life of the N80 is appalling, specially with all the features it has at it's disposal.
    2. Even with the latest software the UI is still painfully SLOW.
    2. The camera has no lens cover.
    3. The slider mechanism feels loose after a few weeks of use. I sent mine to Nokia to have it tightened and it worked but you could feel the slider slowly loosen again after a few weeks. Good thing the N95 will have a spring mechanism (don't know why the N80 wasn't designed witha spring when the lower end 5300 has one?).
    4. The faceplate and keypad isn't user interchangeable (unless you unscrew a few parts). This is important because I don't like using crystal cases/ silicone cases and at the same time I also hate to see scratches - so i need to change the front housing after a while. I had a 2-layer Gmask put onto my phone, which cost me more than 40.00USD but it started to degrade immediately because of the sliding nature of the N80, which caused the taped edges of the Gmask to slowly peel off after a while.

My N73 doesn't have wifi and it's screen is not as good as the N80 (not by much)but at least i don't have to charge it all the time . There are days when i miss my N80, and sometimes i feel like I downgraded but in the end I believe my choice of switching to the more practical, reliable, and easy to use N73 was worth it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I need a phone with wifi ability/cellphone functionality to make calls as I have extricated myself from line rental, thats why the N73 although a super phone isn't the best fit for myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

I've had an N80, N93 and now use E61.

Switched to N93 as found camera on N80 very bad, then got E61 through work and found I was using it more and more than the N93.

The E61, N80 and N93 all have the same OS and applications, E61 is great for push email and Nokia include foc Mail4Exchange which syncs directly with Exchange 2003, also the E61 seems to have the most developed VoIP stack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Thanks for the responses guys. I need a phone with wifi ability/cellphone functionality to make calls as I have extricated myself from line rental, thats why the N73 although a super phone isn't the best fit for myself
    Check out the the E70, has WiFi seems to have good battery, great res screen, 2 meg camera, 401 +pp with onedaymobile. Haven't got my hands on one yet, so don't know if the feel of it would suit me. I has full fold out gull-wing type qwerty keyboard.. Like camera on N73.

Any chance of geting WiFi on N73 through use of WiFi miniSD card??

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

thanks dohouch, meant to getting the e70 via work, however theres seems to still be an isssue with Vodafone and blackbeery connect on that model..

Very frustrating.

Has anyone used blackberry connect with an E70 on Vodafone????

Advertisement