Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving motor tax to new car?

Options
  • 04-01-2007 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Can this be done? I did not think so but someone said it could. I renewed mine for a year and its good till July07 i think, now i traded the car in for another car (unsure of the tax status.. i forgot to look) Is it worth even bothering with for 6 months? Unless the car im getting is completely out i suppose.

Anyway the question remains.. can it even be done? Can i transfer it from one car to another?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

No, it can't be transferred, you may as well have put the money on a horse.

Sorry to bear bad news but it is easier to win the Lotto than to get money back from the grabbing Revenue bsatrads.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Refunds of Motor Tax

It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120. Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;

the vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
    the vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    the vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
    the owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    the owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.

Refunds of Motor Tax

It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120. Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;

the vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
    the vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    the vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
    the owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    the owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.

the owner has to be on the moon and in possesion of a metric tonne of krytonite
    the owner must have at least two heads and be capable of speaking mandarin Chinese with one of them while simultaneously chewing the head off a badger with the other

Don't bother - I had almost a years tax on a car when the engine blew up - it took four months and I got three months tax back but I couldn't sell the car as anything but scrap. The new owner tried to put it back on the road but had to pay back my refunded tax.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

So short answer is yes and long answer is no.

Like i thought. Ah well.. just have to hope there is a few months tax left on it... Thankfully no NCT till 2008 :D

• Advertisement

Eh, no - both short and long answers are no. You can't transfer tax from one car to another. You can in certain circumstances get a refund but it is easier for a man to give birth to a Rhesus monkey.

'cptr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 jancav

For future reference, you can't transfer tax, BUT if you scrap the car or are no longer using it, you can get your money back for the remaining months left on the disc,using form RF120. However, I don't think this applies when you sell the vehicle....best to give them a ring. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

LOL @ Interceptor :D

Yeah Jancav, circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include: The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because they are on the moon and in possesion of a metric tonne of kryptonite, to use the vehicle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Eh, no - both short and long answers are no. You can't transfer tax from one car to another. You can in certain circumstances get a refund but it is easier for a man to give birth to a Rhesus monkey.
    Is that a challange? :D

Advertisement