Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Speed / Track Frames

Options
  • 04-01-2007 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Anyone have any idea of anywhere in Ireland i can pick up a track frame? or really any frame with horizontal drop-outs.

I know cycleways sell fort track frames but they are aluminium and pretty nasty looking, I'd really rather have a nice steel frame.

I'm looking to build a fixed gear city bike but don't really know where to start, unlike the UK, US and Canada bike shops over here inly really seem to tock either total crap or else ridiculous high end gear and they tend to look at you like you've got 2 heads when you ask about things like track frames.

I'd rather not have to go through the internet, but if i do here is what I'm looking at:

http://irocycle.com/iro/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=307

Regards,

DB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Cycleogical sell Surly and On-One and probably others so you could check with them. They also have complete bikes from Fuji and Kona which would work out cheaper.

http://www.cyclelogical-bikes.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

If you're planning to build a city fixed -wheel bike, i'd highly recommend my own steed - an on-one il pompino. its not a track frame but a steel compact cyclo cross frame with horizontal drop outs and lots of tyre clearance and V brake mounts. Always gets great reviews, very large fan base. It costs about £220 stg for a frame and forck which is among the best value out there. Looks great too.

It is marginally cheaper to buy a whole bike than build one though unless you source a secondhand frame and parts on ebay or sth.

On-one do complete pompinos for less than £500stg. Ridgeback have just come out with what looks like a nice machine called a Flyer at £499 stg, while Kona, like Morgan mentions, sells the Paddy Wagon for a few pound more. Again both have gotten great reviews already. Cyclelogical sell both makes, i think.

If you want a bike that resembles more of a track machine, you could look up the EAI Bareknuckle (see hubjub.co.uk) which looks very pure and minimalist, or a Surly Steamroller, which i think looks plain fantastic. these are a bit more expensive that the above though.

Sorry for the stg prices, can't be arsed to convert them to euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Itsfixed wrote:
    EAI Bareknuckle (see hubjub.co.uk) which looks very pure and minimalist
    Saw one of these built up in London. It was very nice. I think Pearson do complete fixies.

M

Advertisement