Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best make of paint?

Options
  • 04-01-2007 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

With all you hear about Farrow and Ball this and that, and organic paints, and so on, it's all getting a bit confusing.

Obviously there are different colours available in different ranges; apart from that is any make of paint better than another? Is Farrow and Ball actually better (and not just more fashionable), or should I stick to buying Irish? Are the health concerns real?

I'd like to hear your opinions. I'm no Picasso but I want the walls to look as good as possible, and I've no intention of redoing them anytime soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I like crown, try to use it as much as I can. Its generally thicker and holds is colour longer than the likes of Dulux.

When it comes to specialized jobs i like to use International, great primers, childsafe paints etc though a little expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi,
    farrow&ball is trendy yes but what it does do is allows the walls to breath apparently.they reccomend that you brush it though. the finish is no different to the rest.for the best coverage is dulux followed by crown (presuming there a matt finish).
    regards pro painter&decorator.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Best make of paint?

Best for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

BaZmO* wrote:
    Best make of paint?

Best for what?

Well you know - walls, ceilings. And internal doors and woodwork I suppose. No fancy effects or anything. We're going to have to paint the house top to bottom when we finish doing it up, so might as well use the right stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

lol. I mean best for what as in, value? coverage? colour range? etc.

The most important thing when painting is not necessarily the paint brand you use, it's the preparation work beforehand that's of upmost importance. Filling, Sanding, Undercoats, Masking Up, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

BaZmO* wrote:
    lol. I mean best for what as in, value? coverage? colour range? etc.
    Oh - quality of finish, lasting qualities, healthiness, texture, long-term value I suppose. Whatever makes a good paint a good paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Gerneral Paints...MRCB Paints in Celbridge...the factory shop there offers great advice and great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Gerneral Paints...MRCB Paints in Celbridge...the factory shop there offers great advice and great value.

I'll second that, they are part of an International paint manufacturer's Federation who swap R&D information with each other, so despite being a relatively small company their paints are probably the best developed in the country. They are currently re-branding as "Colour Trend".

If there is a colour you want from another catalogue (say Farrow & Ball) they can mix it for you...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Farrow & Ball? Posh overpriced paint for those with too much money.

Some of Fired Earth's paints are nice to work with, but again, expensive. I've only used them on feature walls.

Some people swear by colortrend. Not really a fan.
    I personally prefer dulux or the premium fleetwood products in ALL finishes. Dulux gloos or satinwood in particular is quality stuff
    Crown aren't bad.
    Johnstones and Gliddens I dislike; poor covering, their softsheens are too shiny, gloss is tough to work with and tends to run a lot.

IMO middle of the road brands are the way to go. Avoid anything with "trade" or "contract" in the title (even dulux); lower solid content leads to poor cover rate.
    If you want to impress the neighbours and spend money needlessly then get the designer stuff; IMO it's no different.
    ALL paints (except oils and epoxys) allow surfaces to breathe be they rolled brushed or sprayed.
    Environmental concerns? Chances are that the designer paint has clocked up more milage on it's way to your home then the VOC conten is going to offset it by....the planet's f*cked anyhow....your choice of paint is unlikely to make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

just to add, no matter what the quality of the paint, be sure and use quality applicating tools, not cheap sh*te.
    Professional decorators can be worth the expense too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Wertz wrote:
    Some people swear by colortrend.

I used Colortrend 6 years ago to paint the exterior of my house and it still looks just as good today as the day I first painted it. Just last year I was touching up a few spots where there was damage on corners etc and using a new mix from the shop, you would find it hard to notice any colour difference.

Advertisement