Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excel to web

Options
  • 04-01-2007 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

i want to put an excel workbook ( with hyperlinks ) on to a web site, in a way that it can be downloaded and edited by others, does it have to be converted first ? if so, how would i go about it, i know nothing about web site language code, or web site setting up, but i'm willing to learn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If it only need to be downloaded, just upload the file to your web server. No need to alter it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dadad

thanks Aidan, but i don't have a web server. how do i go about getting one, i have no knowledge of how to get started, the only area i am competent in is excel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dadad wrote:
    but i don't have a web server. how do i go about getting one, i have no knowledge of how to get started, the only area i am competent in is excel
    Why do you want to put this Excel spreadsheet on the web? Could you just email it to the people that want to see it?
    As you don't know about creating a web site, email may be a satisfactory alternative.

You could create an account on a free web host e.g. GeoCities. It allows Excel files.

i could not send emails, as people have to apply to use the programme,it would only be available to certain people, and there may be a few dozen or a few million people interested in it. i have no way of knowing who would want it, so i would need a website that is capable of advertising it, and enabling people to download from...hope you can understand what i need

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I don't!

You want only certain people to get the excel file but you want to advertise it on the website? It could be a dozen or it could be a million people downloading it. Are you selling this file?

Have you looked into Google spreadsheets? docs.google.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Gordon wrote:

Have you looked into Google spreadsheets? docs.google.com

^ ditto
    this is your best option

i've had a look at that, but it's not suitable for what in mind. i need a web site that people can download from, but i don't know how to get started. maybe you could give me a few pointers....thank you for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Well, if you're hoping for many people to download this excel file, you'll need a good host, with plenty of bandwith.... I recommend going to www.bluehost.com for a web server

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dadad wrote:
    i could not send emails, as people have to apply to use the programme, it would only be available to certain people, and there may be a few dozen or a few million people interested in it. i have no way of knowing who would want it, so i would need a website that is capable of advertising it, and enabling people to download from...hope you can understand what i need
    Can you post the Excel file here? I'm quite curious as to what it does.
    If people have to apply to use the programme (what is "the programme"?), you will have to deal with per-user access to the spreadsheet if you choose the web server option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement