Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards - Slowness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

admin+statler@boards.ie Page generated in 40.06920 seconds with 11 queries

Agh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Pythia wrote:
    admin+statler@boards.ie Page generated in 40.06920 seconds with 11 queries
    I had one of ~56 seconds earlier today... I think it was some kind of record, at least for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

admin+statler@boards.ie Page generated in 52.09197 seconds with 13 queries

That's the slowest I've ever seen. Think I'll go back to posting in the middle of the night instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Slow all afternoon.

This page,
    admin+beaker@boards.ie Page generated in 25.80814 seconds with 13 queries

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its brutal right now, midnight... Most pages taking 10-20 seconds to be generated and who knows how long more to actually appear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I just turned off peer guardian and boards is rocketing along.
    Are the people who are experiencing slowness using background software such as peer guardian that may be causing the problem?

/edited for spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When I was using it last night there was nothing running on my machine besides the operating system and firefox :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got 3 database errors just trying to open this page. So far, that brings the total to about 10 in the past 45 minutes. It took me 10 minutes alone to get this page open. I don't think Boards has ever been slower for me than it has been in the past week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

^Same here, heap of database errroz and this page.

admin+statler@boards.ie Page generated in 14.97964 seconds with 14 queries, has been worse earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

admin+statler@boards.ie Page generated in 31.43079 seconds with 11 queries

Have been having constant timeouts over the past 3 days but I think that problem is seperate to boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I nearly always get database errors, often when I am just trying to log in. I dont see the point, personally, in using more then one "front" server with its own copy of vB, the slowness seems to be that you have one, single, probably unoptimised, database on a seperate machine which is like tar when this site gets busy.

@Sully: IPB is a far better forum system, and it converts from vB so easily too, but it would take a lot of extra effort and work to convert boards to that system, to much so that any gains in features and performance may not offset it. For example, they would either have to change how boards is moderated (probably not a bad thing) or add that mod that grants those banning powers to forum and category moderators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Ok, this is doing my head in, HOW can clicking back take as long as entering a damn forum? :mad: I click on a thread (takes 30secs to open), read a post or two and then click back and wait another 30 seconds!! I have never experienced that on any other site, surely the page before has just been loaded and you are just going back to the same screen? Why does it take so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its actually beginning to make me angry .. and that dont happen much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/index.php

This forum which i found recently has a couple hundred more members than boards and seems very busy. It seems to be using the same vBulletin thing that boards uses and yet it flys along at a grand pace?
    Another funny thing is the size of the sigs on this site, they are HUGE! and yet dont seem to affect loading times for me?
    One extra bonus is clicking back! doesnt reload the whole damn page :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

try pie rather than www it seems a bit better.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Page generated in 4.13280 seconds with 11 queries

This is from the bottom of the Feedback page 3. It actually took 62 seconds to finish loading. In fact, as I type this this page has not yet completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

This is insane, I am using a 10MB internet access at work and a 4MB at home, I have got the feeling to be on 33k dial-up here.
    Please do something...

Looks to me more like a database perf issue because HTTP response is ok.
    Maybe some database pruning then defrag might help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm on pie today and it is slow.
    admin+statler@boards.ie Page generated in 42.60686 seconds with 13 queries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

It is doing my head in and putting me on tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

I'm experiencing a lot of slowness too; 25 seconds to load each page and at that the avatars are still not visible. hope it's fixed soon, it's ruining my enjoyment of boards .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Great forums, but this is getting VERY painful. Nearly 60 seconds to load each page (and it's not my PC or internet connection at fault).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Page generated in 3.67492 seconds with 11 queries

This at the bottom of the Soccer page at 22:06. It actually took close to 4 minutes to finish loading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Page generated in 16.74140 seconds with 11 queries
    Page generated in 14.14923 seconds with 13 queries
    Page generated in 19.57043 seconds with 14 queries

All on pie which is quicker than www for me again.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Boards appears to be in slow-motion mode today. Painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A heap of database errorz earlier today, going ok on the dubya, dubya, dubya right now.

admin+beaker@boards.ie Page generated in 2.61727 seconds with 14 queries

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    Page generated in 16.74140 seconds with 11 queries
    Page generated in 14.14923 seconds with 13 queries
    Page generated in 19.57043 seconds with 14 queries

All on pie which is quicker than www for me again.

Similar here. Hasn't been that bad after 6pm but it's awful during business hours. Why do other busy BBs not suffer where boards.ie does?

This has never been adequately answered and the problems have been around since late '04 iirc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I'm afraid it is actually becoming unusable at the moment :( It just takes soooo long for anything to happen. Even when it says page generated in 2. something seconds it has actully taken about 90s. Hope it is sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Page generated in 1.55125 seconds with 13 queries

Lie!

Edit: pie is really fast. woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

can someone explain to me what 'pie' is?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

pie.boards.ie is 3.14159 times faster* than www.boards.ie if you are using an Apple**

* May not be 100% true
    ** Hence the term "Apple Pie, yummy"

Advertisement