Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards - Slowness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's classic, Hagar :D

Even better without the asterisks and explanations though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

can someone explain to me what 'pie' is?
    thanks

Its just a name for one of the boards servers (one of four I think), seems to be the popular one and sometimes quicker for browsing boards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Did pie just completely go for anyone else? I just kept getting database errors and blank pages. I'm using www now and it's okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

pie is slow and sometimes timing out for me.

www.boards.ie is incredibly slow - sub 56K speeds, subjectively speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

pie is working for me now. Slow , but working

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This page took nearly 7 mins to form! On pie! :(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Considering that Devore said they are replacing and close to doubling the frontend servers as well as data-base, stop complaing and bask in the current slowness of boards.ie as we know it, for it will soon be gone.

I think I'm going to cry.

krazy_8s wrote:

I think I'm going to cry.

Switch off your Javascript and it flies!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

*pokes servers with a stick* Mmmmooooove.

Anyone else noticed some threads sort of rolling back a few hours as if the db was restored? I've noticed two threads so far... must be some tinkering going on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't know if it's anything related to the speed, but boards keeps deciding that I've logged out in the time between me opening one thread and the next. Right now, it says I last logged in at 18.57, and all the unread threads have been marked as read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I would like to register a complaint.

The slowness that we have all come to know and love is missing this morning. Can somebody please do something? The speed is frightening me. The only way I can compensate is to wait for two minutes after I type something before I hit enter. But it's just not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Fairly mad alright o_0

Yep Regi's found the right jumper configuration!

Mike.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mike65 wrote:
    Regi's found the right jumper configuration!
    1739.jpg

I think it would look rather fetching on Regi...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Congrats to who ever has improved the speed today, its flying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I don't want to speak too soon but I think I found something that may have helped the speed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

There was a knot in the comms cable. Should have spotted that sooner. Pfft. :)

Cloud wrote:
    I don't want to speak too soon but I think I found something that may have helped the speed...

stronghamster.jpg

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Fair play cloud. Its certainly whizzing along nicely now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Flying for me too! Did you give that hamster a good kick up the a$$ Cloud?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Cloud wrote:
    Replaced the old hamster? :) Or put Sput on the treadmill?!?!:eek:

HamsterOnWheelColor0112.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

For some reason I can't reply to threads half the time, it keeps timing out. What could be causing this? It's been happening for the past week or so in both IE and Firefox on www, pie, blah etc.

I'm confuzzled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Is it just me or have things gotten slow again :(. Im getting database errors all over the place and long load times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

It's not just you; I had a 42 second load time a moment ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Was hitting upwards of 35-40 seconds earlier this evening alright, though things seem to have settled down again.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Faith wrote:
    I don't know if it's anything related to the speed, but boards keeps deciding that I've logged out in the time between me opening one thread and the next. Right now, it says I last logged in at 18.57, and all the unread threads have been marked as read.
    This problem is persisting for me, and is rather annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lunchtime is always a slow time - I'd suggest putting servers on a salad diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'm also getting database errors and load times of around 60 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Me too. When is this ever going to end. No other forum I frequent has ever had such persistant problems over such a long timescale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Its very frustrating for everyone when things are this slow, For the last week its benn great for me, up to about middaym then its slows to a grinding halt around one, and its pretty pooh until after the server back up at 3am. (not that I am up at 3 too often).

With some luck, we will have things sorted over the next couple of weeks, we will get some new servers installed and throw a lot more cpu and ram at the problem (+ a few more technical things). All the tweaking in the world only gives us a day or two before it bogs down again.

V.

PS Calibos are you still a panasonic projector fan? if so do you have the new AX100?

Advertisement