Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards - Slowness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm trying to love Boards but its like finding out a member of your family killed someone and you try to stand by them ..... kinda like that, but not exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Its like a bit like road rage for me, I blow my horn and gesticulate and berate another driver for doing little more than changing lane in front of me - and worse he is entitled to do so, just beacuse I am frustrated by the roadworks slowing up my progress.

Its just boards rage, consider the road works temporary, the admins are just on another tea break or health and saftey course.

Feel free to gesticulate.

V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I personally find it frustrating.

But then I stop and ask myself hasnt boards (& the admins and mods) given enough enjoyment to me in the past to make it worth having a little patience with things?

Boards is like a family - for me that means sticking with it through the bad times as well as the good.

The admins all have a real life, with jobs and kids and families to support, yet they still persevere with boards.ie in spite of all the crap they have to deal with, the legal threats, the disgruntled users, the creaky software.

Still you have Vexorg finding time to post on this thread, Cloud making little tweaks of improvement, and no doubt we're only seeing 10% of the work the Admins put into this site.

Fair play to you guys, I for one appreciate (not suggesting that others dont) what you are doing for us all. For what its worth you have my support and respect for as long as it takes.....

can they not just hire losers with no lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

6th wrote:
    Vounteering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Boards is like a family - for me that means sticking with it through the bad times as well as the good.
    Boards, like a family? I don't bloody think so. Back in the fall of 2005 Pighead had the temerity to hurt Le Racks feelings by claiming Suduko was a bit rubbish.

What happened next? The "Family" threw Pighead in prison and left him there to rot for 7 whole days.

My mother has attacked me with a claw hammer, stolen my piggy bank savings and smacked my lovely bottom cheeks, but never, ever has she been so cruel as to throw me into prison.

Sorry secret_squirrel for shattering your stargazery.
    (Not gonna apologise for the alliteration though)

On topic, boards is fast sometimes and slow at other times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been as quick as a quite quick thing today.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

6th wrote:

The server room is haunted. A poltergeist keeps changing the KVM switch settings. He used to be a loser with a life! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

vB has a large installed base compared to invision, so i'm inclined to trust the guys on that.

phpBB can work for big installations (like the Gentoo Linux forums) but its security record would be a no-no on a server i'd run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Vexorg. Yep still a Panny owner. Have an Ae900 atm. Only upgraded after dropping my Ae300 LCD block while cleaning and knocking the convergance out massively. Otherwise the Ae300 was still going strong at 10000 hours.

Gonna skip this gen though and maybe the next depending on when C2fine makes it into the cheapass 720p panny line. Don't feel the need for 1080p as my 90in screen is as big as the 92in wide room will take anyway and by all accounts (40 person 720p/1080p shootout) the visual difference between 720p and 1080p are invisible from normal viewing distances up to at least 130+ inches.

Anyway back on topic. I too appreciate the work the admins and mods and everyone else puts in. Its the fact that boards is such a great place that makes it all the more frustrating that over the last few weeks I can hardly ever get on it. Database errors left right and centre for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A new record for me !

admin+statler@boards.ie Page generated in 59.98651 seconds with 14 queries

It's been very poor the last couple of days

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Absolutely unusable today. Database errors 9 times out of 10 attempts to load a page, huge page load times when they finally do open. It's been like this for a few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A new record for me !

admin+statler@boards.ie Page generated in 59.98651 seconds with 14 queries

It's been very poor the last couple of days

I just beat that.
    admin+beaker@boards.ie Page generated in 60.03022 seconds with 11 queries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Terrible most of the day apart from now.

admin+statler@boards.ie Page generated in 0.33259 seconds with 14 queries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Iv been trying since 12 oclock to get on, either timed out or got a database error :o, gone from running slow to not running at all now.

admin+beaker@boards.ie Page generated in 35.87923 seconds with 13 queries

Are we due to see an end to all this? I think I remeber it being said that mid-feb would be when problems get solved.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Iv been trying since 12 oclock to get on, either timed out or got a database error :o, gone from running slow to not running at all now.

same here, only just working now after a day of timeouts, and only via pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is there a lot more users or something ? its like boards is grinding to a halt -- What type of database is running ? needs an update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Jaysus have some patience people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Might it be a case that there is too much old crap? Could it be set up so that anything older than a year old is put into an archive on a different server/database or something? It may already be set up that way.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Asok wrote:
    Jaysus have some patience people.

i thought waiting 6 hours to get the site to load was pretty patient!
    is there something going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Flying along nicely for the past few hours.

Living with boards is like living with an addict, you just never know what it's going to do next - buzzing around the place or just completely knocked out!

Edit: last three pages
    Page generated in 23.06234 seconds with 13 queries
    Page generated in 8.87177 seconds with 14 queries
    Page generated in 0.74051 seconds with 13 queries

Delete the everything in the ThunderDome and see if things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

going fine for me now
    admin+beaker@boards.ie Page generated in 0.94621 seconds with 13 queries

Earlier (2am irish time) I wasn't able to access Boards at all. Nothing for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Another long wait today, been trying since about 12, on at 3:50 and keep getting db errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The site has been very fast for me this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

how'd you get the stat's on time to load a page.......?

Using a more basic method - ahem - this page is taking in excess of 20secs to load..........and as for PM's, well, all I can say is that if you've received a reply from me today...........you were lucky. I gave in on several occasions so far, it's so bad........

So, what is the story, exactly?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

galwaytt wrote:
    how'd you get the stat's on time to load a page.......?

It's down at the very last line of the page.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

aha - I see.

admin+beaker@boards.ie Page generated in 25.86475 seconds with 13 queries

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement