Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards - Slowness

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

daveym wrote:
    Where? All I've seen is people like you and the other lowly mods above say it. It is pretty clear you guys would say or imply anything, true or not, personally I don't believe any of you know what you are talking about.
    DeVore wrote:
    I know we've been saying this for a long time but really, hang in there... servers are in our hands and on their way to to config/production. This will be a complete restructure, rebuild of the infrastructure going from 2 front servers and a single DB to something more along the lines of 7 front servers and a pair of clustered DB servers.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52580149&postcount=9
    daveym wrote:
    The problem I have is that this is FEEDBACK, we are supposed to criticise and I'm sure the organ grinders appreciate it. The attacks on posters by the monkeys are sad..
    Cut the ****. Its possible to give feedback without belittleing others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

I guess it's just DeV's estimate of 1-2 weeks (ie: a month ago) that was off :):) Will be fun to see the new set-up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

How does a site like www.hardforum.com cope with 80000 memebers, not to mention the huge amount of graphic content posted on the site? They appear to use this vBulltetin thing?
    Genuinlly curious about how this works, would they just have a lot more hardware? Is hardware the only thing holding boards back?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

To be fair, the admins do get paid to keep boards online (all that advertising) and it is the people who spend their time on the site who provide that ad revenue, so, in a way, he did pay :)

Being a little pedantic -and- facetious here, but if boards is to survive and grow as a community, it needs to learn to take criticism a little better :) If everyone simply knew what the plan to fix the problem was (which is eminently fixable) then people wouldn't complain so much.
    The revenue from the ads is put back into the site.
    Where do you think these servers are coming from?
    #Elites wrote:
    "VBulletin is slow. The web server is not"

yeah it is slow, but boards.ie is very slow when compared to other VB sites..

granted its fine sometimes, other times its incredly slow, and its very anoying when you acculy want to do something on here.
    Negative feedback done properly.
    Some people could learn from this.
    daveym wrote:
    Where? All I've seen is people like you and the other lowly mods above say it. It is pretty clear you guys would say or imply anything, true or not, personally I don't believe any of you know what you are talking about.
    daveym wrote:
    The attacks on posters by the monkeys are sad..
    yep.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cheers so the problems were fixed 6 weeks ago, thanks for that.

Cut the ****. Its possible to give feedback without belittleing others.

I'll belittle who I want, the various Mods taking the piss started it.

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:

I'll belittle who I want, the various Mods taking the piss started it.
    Where were the mods taking the piss?

Terry wrote:
    Where were the mods taking the piss?

the 2 above asking a user and myself to keep our opinions to ourselves unless we are going to fix the problem. Can mods not read a charter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Terry wrote:
    The revenue from the ads is put back into the site.
    Where do you think these servers are coming from?

I know that, I was simply making the point that boards does, after a fashion, pay for itself through ad revenue. The fact that all the money made is spent on hardware (as the hosting isn't 'paid' for as such) wasn't relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

oscarBravo wrote:
    To say it's "just a forum" immediately gives the impression that you don't understand the scale of what's going on here.

Ok, it's a big forum. My point was that it isn't a system handling real-time commodities dealing, or correcting a space station's orbit. I'm not belittling the size of the problem, I'm just saying that the performance problems don't link to something inherently complex that the site is attempting to do.
    oscarBravo wrote:
    Don't be surprised if a caustic post earns a few caustic responses.

Fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

daveym wrote:
    the 2 above asking a user and myself to keep our opinions to ourselves unless we are going to fix the problem. Can mods not read a charter?

Mods are only mods of the forums they moderate, otherwise they are just posters like you and me .... well, me anyway.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    Mods are only mods of the forums they moderate, otherwise they are just posters like you and me .... well, me anyway.

i know, funny how they all like to gang up together though. that post was in direct reply to a mod seemingly not able to see other mods doing anthing wrong..

No, that was a deadline that seems to have fallen through.

daveym wrote:
    i know, funny how they all like to gang up together though. that post was in direct reply to a mod seemingly not able to see other mods doing anthing wrong..
    Can we please keep to the topic on hand? If you want to complain about the mods, open another thread.

Funny how all the other users gang up together against the mods.

Funnier how sjones didn't agree with Thaedydal. both mods as it happens.
    the 2 above asking a user and myself to keep our opinions to ourselves unless we are going to fix the problem.
    You came in here full of yourself and telling everyone how this and that should and shouldn't be run.
    What did you expect?

scojones wrote:
    VBulletin does everything. It generates HTML, it queries the database. VBulletin is slow. The web server is not.

I'm sorry, you seem to think that saying VBulletin is at fault is some kind of trump card here. It's a third party piece of software, used by the site. If it's deficient, it needs tuning. If it can't be tuned, or can't handle the number of concurrent users boards attracts, then it needs replacing.
    scojones wrote:
    I'm also a software developer. I don't really see the point you are trying to prove there.

Was I trying to prove a point? I think I mentioned my profession only because a couple of posters questioned whether I would understand the issues involved in website design. How about you? Why did you just mention yours?
    scojones wrote:
    Boards is slow. Everyone knows this. Merely pointing out the obvious without offering an alternative is rather... silly.

Really? This is the first time I've ever complained about it, or visited the feedback forum. NTL are a hopeless organisation. Should people not give them feedback just because others have already done so before them? This is the feedback forum scojones. I gave feedback - for the first time ever. You are exasperated because you've read the cumulative feedback from many users. There's no point in getting tetchy with me (and others) for adding to a pile of existing similar gripes.
    scojones wrote:
    ...but it's pointless to be discussing something you claim to understand but apparently don't.

My least favourite recurring argument on any forum is the 'you just don't understand' argument scojones. I think you've resorted to it a few times. It couldn't be lazier or dumber, frankly. The more you tell everybody around you that they just don't understand, the less able to communicate your thoughts you appear. What do I need to understand? The performance is dodgy, so I came to the feedback forum and added to the appropriate thread.

Can we please keep to the topic on hand? If you want to complain about the mods, open another thread.

maybe if mods like yourself kept to the point and stopped trying to boss other users around we would be on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

All the other users dont gang up together. Myself and other people having been tying to give balanced informative oppinions.

Terry wrote:
    You came in here full of yourself and telling everyone how this and that should and shouldn't be run.
    What did you expect?

no I didn't, I just said that dublinario was on topic, on the right forum, on the right thread and shouldn't be shouted down. Have you even read the thread?

I guess saying boards shouldn't be painfully slow is telling everyone how this
    and that should be run? Again, this is the feedback forum, when people give
    feedback I'd expect posts of the sort that they don't find it slow, or it's great
    or if you are on XP it is better than Vista etc.

Not, 'shut up and keep your opinion to yourself' which seems to be your point
    of view too.

Terry wrote:
    You were not "booted out of After Hours".
    I suggested you take your complaint here.

Saying I was "booted out" was merely said for dramatic effect. I established in my first post that I was asked to move here. Although if you want to get into semantics, the process is arguably more akin to a "booting" than a "suggestion": the thread in 'After Hours' was closed instantly, unilaterally. I've got no problem with that, but seeing as how you've picked me up on a turn of phrase....
    Terry wrote:
    Do you regularly get free meals in restraunts?
    I only ask because you are not paying for your use of this site.

Well, the restaurant idea was only an analogy. I wouldn't expect it to be a bulletproof comparison, anymore than I'd give you kudos for (apparently) "disproving" it. I'm a user of the site. I don't need to be anything more to contribute feedback to the feedback forum.
    Terry wrote:

I suggest you change your attitude.
    Ban me or don't Terry, but don't tell me how to behave. I don't believe I've overstepped any imaginary lines, and I've established my posture to match my co-debaters.
    Terry wrote:
    I'm sure you are able to offer your suggestions with the need to resort to bitching and moaning.

The system works! Come to the feedback forum, where you can air your views, so long as they aren't critical. Perhaps you should rename the forum to 'Letters of thanks'? Or maybe 'Messages of Goodwill'? '100 things I love about boards?'

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

dublinario wrote:
    NTL are a hopeless organisation. Should people not give them feedback just because others have already done so before them? This is the feedback forum scojones. I gave feedback - for the first time ever. You are exasperated because you've read the cumulative feedback from many users. There's no point in getting tetchy with me (and others) for adding to a pile of existing similar gripes.

Surely because the feedback here is on public view, and therefore only needs to be said once negates this point. last time i checked, NTL never put the feedback ive given them on public display.

And your not adding to it, you are merely regurgitating it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Well that was a big lot of fuss over nothing. Take a breath people. You'd swear we got beat by the English this weekend or something. :)

LOTP wrote:
    Surely because the feedback here is on public view, and therefore only needs to be said once negates this point.

What? Nonsense. A forum thread is a discussion. People contribute to it, and give their own opinions, even if they only vary slightly from what's come before. By your logic, this thread would only have one post: the original person who said 'the site is slow'. That isn't the nature of forums.

daveym wrote:
    no I didn't, I just said that dublinario was on topic, on the right forum, on the right thread and shouldn't be shouted down. Have you even read the thread?
    My mistake.
    I mixed you up with dublinario.
    Sorry about that.
    dublinario wrote:
    Ban me or don't Terry, but don't tell me how to behave. I don't believe I've overstepped any imaginary lines, and I've established my posture to match my co-debaters.
    I can't ban you from here.
    I am not a moderator on this forum. I have the same status as you have here.
    Note the word "suggest" in my post.
    I suggested you change your attitude because coming across as angry and hostile will not get you anywhere on this forum.
    Have a look at some of the other thread here for some examples of that.

Scroll back up to post #156 and look at the post I quoted by #Elites.
    That is an example of how to give negative feedback.
    Coming in here with all guns blazing is not a good idea.

At the end of the day, this is feedback.
    The admins are open to criticism, but slamming them into the ground because their hobby doesn't live up to your standards is not very constructive.
    There are two ways of criticisizing this place.
    Ranting about how you know about databases and how you would do this and that is not the good way of doing it.
    But that's just my opinion and the admins may very well come in here and put me right about what I have said here.

All the other users dont gang up together. Myself and other people having been tying to give balanced informative oppinions.
    Sarcasm doesn't translate well in text form.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

dublinario wrote:
    What? Nonsense. A forum thread is a discussion. People contribute to it, and give their own opinions, even if they only vary slightly from what's come before. By your logic, this thread would only have one post: the original person who said 'the site is slow'. That isn't the nature of forums.

and with regards to a few people regurgitating the same criticism in an aggressive manner?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Chalm down chalm down! :)

Look, its very simple. We did upgrade to 3 servers when we were topping out at about 5-600 concurrent users. When we did that our concurrent users shot up to 1100 and then topped out again as the site is bottlenecked.

This may well happen again when we upgrade to the next chunk of hardware.

I'm not going to answer any of the other points right now as I'm very busy in Singapore but suffice it to say that the sky is falling. Again. *yawn*

DeV.

well the update and information is appreciated..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm tired saying "any day now". When we are ready to upgrade there'll be an announcement. Should be days rather then weeks.

DeV.

lol just reread my post. teh ironing is delicious!
    I'm jetlagged and there is a planet between me and the servers. More info will follow when I get it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Cheers for the update Tom. Enjoy Singapore!

• Advertisement
Advertisement