Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok doing major upgrade need advice on Memory

Options
  • 04-01-2007 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm going to be doing some major heart surgery on my PC in the next few weeks, but need advice on what memory to use in the build I have it down to two but if anyone has any better suggestions please let me know.

items I have already decided to purchase
    QX6700 Quad Core
    BadAxe2 Motherboard
    150gb Raptor
    2 x 7200.10 Seagates
    XFX 8800GTX (although a bit nervous on this one as there is no Direct X 10 drivers available, suggests there might be a support issue)
    For cooling the CPU I'm going to buy a Tuniq Tower, which should keep the Quad cool when I overclock it.

Parts I will re-use
    CM Stacker Case
    600W PSU

What I need to decide on is one of these DDR2 Modules

Memory ok so looking at 2gb of the following at the moment either this OCZ Platinium
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VTmvnGXX8tSBR/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=8407&agid=599

Or this Corsair Dominator
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VTmvnGXX8tSBR/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=8564&agid=599

Or should I be looking at something else? Bear in mind I plan to overclock the CPU.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Snake ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

dont think the bad axe is menta be the greatest for ocing as it not mena give out that many volts.

would go for the evga or the new asus (not the striker)

those 2 mobos are both sli too so in the future you can get another 8800

allso the dx10 drivers should be out soon as vista is on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Your thinking of the BadAxe 1 board, badAxe 2 is getting a more positive review and has better voltages all round (Check out thread on xtreme systems forums), anyway its a done deal I already have it.

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

what ever you do dont order a quad core. Their just not worth the money.

unless you plan to runn multiple instances of floding@home or lots of encoding/decoding.

If its just games, barely any game takes full advantage of 2 cores yet.

As for the mobo. drop it like its hot. And get the evga with the dominator ram. The overclocking potential of these two is amazing. Im after just ordering my dominator ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I wouldn't say that I mean if you got money to burn I would go for the Quad Core.

The difference between the E6700 (which is what the QX6700 is basically two of) and the X6800 isn't all that great in games (in fact pretty minor) and for video encoding the QX6700 hammers everything else into the ground. The same holds true really for any multi-threaded program.

Assuming you are hanging onto this system for a good while I would go with the Quad personally.

There isn't anything wrong with the 8800GTX DX10 side of it in case your are wondering (let me guess read something on the Inquirer who are a bunch clueless morons) the drivers are coming for Vista it's just that it will take time to polish the drivers as they have had years to do this with XP.

Hey Anti,

What dominator ram are you going to go for? Have u a link? I'm going for the QX6700 and the BadAxe2, I'll wait and see what the next Intel Chipset can do before upgrading the MB again. On the GTX cards, is there much difference between the cards looking at the XFX and I see that overclockers are selling a BFG8800 for around the same price.

Thanks

Snake ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No difference between the 8800GTX cards at the moment just perhaps in the bundle BFG tend to chuck lots of little extras in theirs (t-shirt, some software etc).

Well bought everything bar the G80, I'll wait a bit before investing in it. I have an old X850 card that will do me for the moment. Went for the OCZ PC2 6400 Rev 2 in the end. Waiting for the kit to ship from Overclockers and will start start work on it over the weekend (if the gear arrives)

Snake ;)

ya wont get it maby monday .

unless he selected including weekends delivery..

its coruir it will ship durin the weekend,were can u select that ?

• Advertisement

I didn't see that option, I was asked to pick a date for delivery and I picked Friday, maybe as Anti is in wales it gives him that option, but I don't think its available on Parcelforce Worldwide.

Snake ;)

lol friday that doesnt really work it comes like 2 days l8 then what you pick from my exp.

yeah your probably right Awhir, I won't be waiting around tomorrow for it maybe Monday or Tuesday, if I'm lucky! The parcelforce tracking thing is no good either as once the parcel reaches the International Hub (which it did last night), there are no further updates, found this with previous orders as well.

Snake ;)

will tell ya when it get to ire.

Well Everything arrived at 9.30! Maybe I was just lucky! Anyway I'll give an update when I have everything together

Snake ;)

wtf wow man thats great never seen that before :(

give some pics.

orlywk5.gif

Thats exceptional work for it to be delivered don time, count yourself blessed.

yeah it was great to get it on time for a change. Built out rig (I'll detail with pics when I get a chance)! Only overclocked the Quad to 2.8 so far! Very happy with Raptor, I thought the noise would be worse, but its bearly audiable above the fans on my Stacker and I haven't even put the panels back on. Think I'm gonna splash out on a GTX card soon as, its kind of a waste not going the full hog!

Snake ;)

Advertisement