Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a new rig

Options
  • 04-01-2007 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Been looking around for a decent games machine to bring me up to todays level.
    Neverwinter nights 2 is demanding and i would not mind giving Oblivion another try without it stuttering everywhere.

I was hoping to just buy a PC and save time on putting together myself. I do enough of it in work :D

Anyway i just saw this from xcase.co.uk
    http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/X-PC_Game_.html
    Not the best graphics card BUT the motherboard has 2 x16 slots so i assume i could throw in a couple of better cards along the line in SLI mode.

Works out at about €1,394 ex shipping
    I think the main reason i do not want to build is i need 2 of them.. one for me and a cheaper, less powerful one but a PC that can also play neverwinter nights 2 for my wife :D
    2 Pc's will take so long to build and install and setup and im lazy at home :D

What advice can people give me then?

I currently have an Athlon xp 2100+ with 1gb ram and the only real upgrade i have done since i built in 2002 is a dvd writer, bigger hard drive and changed from a geforce 3 to a geforce 6600 256mb. This has done me well for a while, i can play far cry and fear without problems.. Neverwinter nights 2 is only on low res as is oblivion and that one stutters. so long past time to upgrade.

I could also just get enough parts to upgrade mine but pricing these seems to bring me to a similar price to the full PC's im looking at.

I have also looked at builds from komplett and overclockers.co.uk. Also alienware but they are shockingly expensive and the top Dell XPS is a piece of crap from what i can see!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok that 1 you linked is amd am2 go for intel coure duo as its the fastest at the moment.

made this on the komplett builder thing.this would kick the ass of that 1 ur looking at.

Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB SATA2
    APLUS Case Qubic, Black
    NEC DVD±recorder AD-5170 IDE Black OEM
    Corsair Powersupply 520W Black, ATX/EPS,
    Norman IC, 1 year license Virus Control
    PC box
    SoftThinks Installation/Recovery
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3,
    Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB
    ABIT IL9 PRO, Intel 945P, Socket-775,
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket
    Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2b

no monitor

and it costs 1475.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes.. the only reason i was looking at somewhere other than komplett was that if something arrives DOA im going to be waiting about a month for a replacement.
    I might just go with them in the end. Thats pretty much one of the builds i looked at on komplett.

no its allready build so they will have windows on it and they will know if somethings dead :D

I know.. but look at the komplet forum.. someone got a pc pre built that was a mess... even had the techs software cd in the cd drive. Nothing is perfect.. will probably go with them anyway... after all i did build my last pc with them and have got most of my stuff from them in the past...

Thanks for the response.

did think they would **** up like that lol.

if i was you i would go with komplett and get that build i made.

• Advertisement

Yes thats pretty much one of the test builds i did except i left it on the default 400watt psu. Would you reckon the 550 is needed with the 8800?

400w would be fine but the croshair are the only good 1s they have that are 550w.

dont go near nortq

400w would be fine but the croshair are the only good 1s they have that are 550w.

dont go near nortq

Advertisement