Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear box oil Filler Cap vw polo

Options
  • 04-01-2007 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I accidently let the gear box oil out of my 00 vw polo instead of the engine oil:eek: and now need to refill it.
    Tried to find the filler cap but no luck.
    Any help really apreciated.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Thats a common mistake and at least you found the problem before it caused a bigger problem.

The filler is usually on the side of the gearbox, facing the front of the car. Usually there is a gearbox vent (black plastic plug) at the top of the gearbox and most can be filled through it. Don't completely fill the box though - only put the manufacturers recommended amount in - the bottom of the gears only need to touch the top of the oil to drag it around.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Fill it up thru the filler hole, until the oil is level with the hole itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Noddywood

When attempting any home mechanics, servicing etc....Its recommended you have a workshop manual at hand....just in case you err.

I've been rootin at cars for years and always try to have some sort of manual at hand just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Filler hole looks almost identical to the drain hole except that it's higher up. Fill as per interceptors instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

When refilling the box pay attention to what you're putting into it. In my experience most in the motor trade know even less about gear oil than they do about engine oil. If you ask for oil for a 00 Polo without checking the specs on the container yourself, chances are you'll be sold the wrong stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you drained the original oil into an uncontaminated container, then just put it back into the gearbox.

Advertisement