Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy MSG

• 04-01-2007 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Just a quickie, anyone suggest anywhere in Dublin/Wicklow to buy MSG...maybe it's in all the supermarkets and I'm just not looking in the right place?

I'd say I could get it in the Asian Emporiom on Georges street, does anyone know where to look in there...asking for something tends to be quite an ordeal!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Dunno about MSG, but Aromat (by Knorr) should be available in almost all supermarkets, and its main constituents are salt and MSG. Might do as a substitute if you're stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

leaba wrote:
    does anyone know where to look in there...asking for something tends to be quite an ordeal!

That's cheating! :D

If you go to the Asian Market on Drury Street - the MSG is usually stored in the aisle farthest from the entrance.

FWIW - That stuff is bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

If you are based on the other side of town, there are a few shops on moore street that I have seen it in.
    R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

can i ask why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

can i ask why?
    No doubt they want it for seasoning/"flavour enhancing"...
    And no doubt you disapprove of it because of the bad press. if MSG had been in use for centuries and salt was the "new kid on the block" I bet it would be demonsied in the exact same way. Probably called SC (sodium chloride) to make it sound all nasty and chemically.

MSG is in many many foods out there. I am not saying it or salt are healthy foods, just that it is unreasonably demonsied while others get away scot free.

In asian stores it is usually in a clear see through plastic bag, looks like salt , usually 100-500g, with a white label with simple black print, usually around the salt/soy/powder section.

• Advertisement

Oooh, burn...I'm aware of its pros and cons, I've read a bit about it, I'm not going to tell the OP their business, but I've never thought people would want to purchase it for their own home cooking. Salt IS being demonised lately btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I think it's derived from seaweed or something, originally. In Japan, maybe? MSG is, or is related to, the fifth taste (after sweet / sour / bitter / salty) - UMAMI. It's savoury and makes protein taste better.

It HAS been demonised. Where's the campaign against vodka, or a million and one other things that the body could do without?

Wine (in, ahem, moderation) is seen as healthy and natural but it has preservative added to it, or maybe even tartaric acid.

DOES MSG actually send people to an early grave? I doubt it.

I have no idea where you can purchase it, by the way. Asian stores. Just smile and ask ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

It's sold as "Gourmet Powder" in the Asian Market on Drury St., red square tins, 2nd aisle in from the left-hand side of the shop, near the front, above the tins of mustard oil, stacked with the Knorr powdered stock. If in doubt, check the ingredients listing of the stuff they have, they're printed in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll go in and pick some up in the Asian store today. Check out the wikki page on MSG, it's interesting and expands on some of the issues discussed above.

To the poster wondering what I want it for...I'm having a party tonight and I'm going put lines of MSG everywhere, and I'm going to hand out fifty euro notes at the door...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

*boggle*

Anyway - MSG has been demonised for the wrong reasons - you shouldn't be wary of it just because it's an additive, more because it's been used to make poor quality food taste better.

• Advertisement

leaba wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll go in and pick some up in the Asian store today. Check out the wikki page on MSG, it's interesting and expands on some of the issues discussed above.

To the poster wondering what I want it for...I'm having a party tonight and I'm going put lines of MSG everywhere, and I'm going to hand out fifty euro notes at the door...

dunno if you are joking or not, but its a brilliant idea either way!!

Sorry guys, should've been more obvious with the sarcasm tags. I just wanted to give the posters posting on the perils of MSG something to really worry about.

Now if you excuse me, I'll just go clean the MSG from my nostrils...

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

rubadub wrote:
    No doubt they want it for seasoning/"flavour enhancing"...
    And no doubt you disapprove of it because of the bad press. if MSG had been in use for centuries and salt was the "new kid on the block" I bet it would be demonsied in the exact same way. Probably called SC (sodium chloride) to make it sound all nasty and chemically.

MSG is in many many foods out there. I am not saying it or salt are healthy foods, just that it is unreasonably demonsied while others get away scot free.

In asian stores it is usually in a clear see through plastic bag, looks like salt , usually 100-500g, with a white label with simple black print, usually around the salt/soy/powder section.

There's a rumour that too much salt is bad for you.

All I'll say is that I cut MSG out of my diet 6 months ago. Now I poo like clockwork.

Check out the thread title. It's a simple question, not a debate. I didn't realise I'd rouse so many people out of their ****** (O x e g e n...it's a laugh they had to restrict that word..must be hell in the Biology forum!) tents...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

leaba wrote:
    Check out the thread title. It's a simple question, not a debate. I didn't realise I'd rouse so many people out of their ****** (O x e g e n...it's a laugh they had to restrict that word..must be hell in the Biology forum!) tents...

Maybe that's because you've spelt it wrong! Oxygen.

Good point! Although I have to contend there were plenty of tents at ******! :D

leaba wrote:

Naw, everything is up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oooh, burn...I'm aware of its pros and cons, I've read a bit about it, I'm not going to tell the OP their business, but I've never thought people would want to purchase it for their own home cooking. Salt IS being demonised lately btw.

I didnt mean to be harsh, just when you said "can I ask why" it sounded sort of like a "why on earth would you want it", rather that "what dish are you using it in". Plenty of people use it, my granny has used aromat for as long as I can remember (I googled it and aromat was out in 1953). Lots of crisps have it and most takeaway chinese food is loaded with it. You can see more authentic resturants saying they use none, or to ask for it without.

Yes salt is coming under fire more and rightly so, they put stupid amounts in food these days. But the way some people go on about MSG you would swear it was crack cocaine or anthrax!

No worries mate. My girlfriend loves a dish that we tasted in America called General Tsao's Chicken, I found a recipe online and it included MSG.

Note: This dish is definitely not a healthy snack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Leaba - Here's a version of the recipe without the MSG & more info on the dish itself.

• Advertisement

Thanks Hill Billy, I'll give that a go...

rubadub wrote:
    (snip) But the way some people go on about MSG you would swear it was crack cocaine or anthrax!

I'm sure MSG is an ingredient in pet food as well, my cat freaks if he doesn't get his fix of a particular catfood that 8/10 cats prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

msg has been used for years by supermarkets and food manufacturers to make junkfood taste so good to the point thats almost addcitive

i have heard that pringles use it in their flavourings ,kfc uses it and also mcdonalds use it in their big mac sauce

Advertisement