Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who else is wating it out?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ambro25 wrote:
    Oh? What about the no-entry-level-pack-for-Ireland bit then? Have you patched your crystal ball? :D

i've yet to meet someone who wasn't getting the 60GB model...
    ambro25 wrote:
    Come on, projectmayhem, we all know which side your bread's buttered ;)

i'm aware that i come accross very fanboyish here, but i have a 360 and a Wii sitting pretty. i also own a DS and PSP. i just think the "omgz sony is teh suk" lark on forums is a bit ridiculous. may as well get stuck in and play devils advocate, and all that...
    ambro25 wrote:
    Since M$ didn't need to table nice bundles for Xmas'06 (in the absence of PS3 on European shelves), but still did (to continue growing their installed user base as fast as possible), that argument is about as effective as p1ss1ng in a violin, tbh: you can bet that M$ is going to table some very delectable offers for Europe come March. (not that I'll be interested in any/or, note)

there was no ps3 at christmas, but the bundles were to sway people over. instead of making them wait until the ps3 does arrive, microsoft's plan was to stop people waiting and force 'em to buy a 360. also, the bundles for new year are here already. 360 + 4 free games (arcade thingy, pgr, pdz & n3)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

i've yet to meet someone who wasn't getting the 60GB model...
    I'm amazed at the difference of opinion between here and the American forums I mod. Nearly everyone here has the attitude that if you are buying it you might as well go all out but on the US forums the majority by far say get the 20gb version since the 60gb doesn't give you enough extras to justify the $100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I'm amazed at the difference of opinion between here and the American forums I mod. Nearly everyone here has the attitude that if you are buying it you might as well go all out but on the US forums the majority by far say get the 20gb version since the 60gb doesn't give you enough extras to justify the $100.

i mod another forum where most people are from europe or new zealand (not sure why nz is popular, but there you go...) and i'd be fairly sure nearly everyone getting a ps3 there is getting the 60GB model. another forum i go to that has far more americans is split between 60gb/20gb, the main argument being that the 360 is fine with 20gb... no need for the extra costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'd be inclined to go with the 20 gig if it was an option, if I get to the stage where I need more than 20 gigs there'll be much bigger hard drives available anyway, what with it supporting fairly standardised PC drives, and standard PC peripherals through USB aswell which will make up for missing memory card slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

i'm aware that i come accross very fanboyish here (..)

I didn't say that (I'm old enough to differentiate between entusiasm and terminal blinkeritis ;) )
    i just think the "omgz sony is teh suk" lark on forums is a bit ridiculous. may as well get stuck in and play devils advocate, and all that...

Fair enough. But as an aside, note that I've been giving out about Sony since way-way-way earlier than when it became the fashionable thing. All to do with their hypocritical corporate practices, with which they started in 2004 and much earlier than the whole Play-Asia / Lik-Sang thing (never mind their badly mismanaged PR).

Advocate away :)
    there was no ps3 at christmas, but the bundles were to sway people over. instead of making them wait until the ps3 does arrive, microsoft's plan was to stop people waiting and force 'em to buy a 360. also, the bundles for new year are here already. 360 + 4 free games (arcade thingy, pgr, pdz & n3)...

So, wouldn't you agree that, logically, M$ will try to keep swaying people over with bundles in March?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭andyps2.5

ya know I played a few 360 games at my mate's house. There were only a few games like oblivan that made me want to get a 360. Otherwise to me the 360 is the same as the ps2. You have to understand that the 360 has available for some time now and most of the games are out. The 360 may last long but I don't belive its going to outlast the ps3. Quite frankly I'd be more worried about Microsoft's next machine whatever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

I am a ps1 and ps2 owner. I played the original xbox but nothing convinced me to buy one so I kept going with the ps2. However I'm have decided to go with the 360 and have no regrets so far. My main concern with sony is that they will continue to over hype and under deliver. The evolution from the ps1 to the ps2 was not a major one all we got was a machine with better graphics and a bigger memory card, the online services came to late and not enough was put into making it a sucess so sony decided to cut their losses and tell us that online was in development for the ps3 (after selling the ps2 as this amazing online experience). And from what sony have been doing so far looks like they may repeat the process with the ps3....no on the other hand the progress MS have made has been oustanding. Their first console was a pretty decent effort but they have shown more dedication to the gaming market with their release of the 360, can we expect sony not to maybe just thrown in the towel with the ps3 after one or 2 years and cut back on the development of services (like the ps2) and promise us that they will get it right on the ps4 and it will be the most supercalifragilistic console in the world EVER!!

If you had a online ps3 you would discover the online homepage www.myplaystation3.com (I'm not to sure of the name). This will be a good site to log on to. It has playable games, downloadable game patches and wallpaper. My point is by March this site will bursting with stuff to look at and try so don't knock the ps3 online features just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

parliament wrote:
    I am a ps1 and ps2 owner. I played the original xbox but nothing convinced me to buy one so I kept going with the ps2. However I'm have decided to go with the 360 and have no regrets so far. My main concern with sony is that they will continue to over hype and under deliver. The evolution from the ps1 to the ps2 was not a major one all we got was a machine with better graphics and a bigger memory card, the online services came to late and not enough was put into making it a sucess so sony decided to cut their losses and tell us that online was in development for the ps3 (after selling the ps2 as this amazing online experience). And from what sony have been doing so far looks like they may repeat the process with the ps3....no on the other hand the progress MS have made has been oustanding. Their first console was a pretty decent effort but they have shown more dedication to the gaming market with their release of the 360, can we expect sony not to maybe just thrown in the towel with the ps3 after one or 2 years and cut back on the development of services (like the ps2) and promise us that they will get it right on the ps4 and it will be the most supercalifragilistic console in the world EVER!!

Forget the PS3 for a minute...

How can you say they over-promised and underdelivered on the PS2? Have you actually played any games on it for the last 6 years?

Obvious example, but GTA3 couldn't be done on a PS1. It just couldn't. There are so many things about it way beyond the capabilities of the previous generation, and none of them purely to do with graphics.

For every good xbox game there were 5 great gamecube ones and a couple of dozen great PS2 ones. If the PS3 lives up to half of that it will be a fantastic console, not that it necessarily will live up to that but it's far too early to tell, the PS2 sucked for the first year of its lifespan but it went on to become the host to the best selection of games of any console in any generation to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

@ MikeHoncho,

You can't compare bundles and pricing etc between a launch machine and a machine that has been out a year.This point has been debated loads of times here and it always comes down to people being told the same thing.
    Comparison is impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

steviec wrote:
    Forget the PS3 for a minute...

How can you say they over-promised and underdelivered on the PS2?
    You obviously arent familiar with the extravagant claims by Sony on the PS2s abilities then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

@ MikeHoncho,

You can't compare bundles and pricing etc between a launch machine and a machine that has been out a year.This point has been debated loads of times here and it always comes down to people being told the same thing.
    Comparison is impossible.
    I don't see why not, people are going to be buying the console based on the prices, they don't care that one has been out a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

I meant it can't be compared properly on the level of which console is better value for your money.A year down the line the Playstation 3 could have excellent bundles for a great price also.

I just don't think that point should be used as an "X-Box 1 - PS3 0" type of thing.The people who bought a slightly dearer X-Box 1 at launch when compared to the price of the Playstation 2, wouldn't be swayed by the fact that they can buy a console of the same generation for cheaper.They went to buy the X-box, and that's what they are going to buy.

So whoever wants to get the PS3 will, and should do, with no regrets.

I meant it can't be compared properly on the level of which console is better value for your money.A year down the line the Playstation 3 could have excellent bundles for a great price also.

I just don't think that point should be used as an "X-Box 1 - PS3 0" type of thing.The people who bought a slightly dearer X-Box 1 at launch when compared to the price of the Playstation 2, wouldn't be swayed by the fact that they can buy a console of the same generation for cheaper.They went to buy the X-box, and that's what they are going to buy.

So whoever wants to get the PS3 will, and should do, with no regrets.

I agree you need to think long term when considering what console your going to get (unless your one of those people who gets all of them). If you like what the ps2 gave you for last 6 years you’re probably going to get ps3 in the hope of getting the same excellence. If have a problem with the ps2 or ps1 than your probably going to get a x360. That is if you haven't got one already. So with the ps2 lasting 6 years you really got to ask the question. How long will the ps3 last? Another 6 years or longer. Sony won't tell you they make the hardware and rarely make games as it is.

Advertisement