Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with eircom broadband

Options
  • 04-01-2007 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

I have recently got 2mb Broadband with Eircom. The PC is connected to the modem and the laptop is wireless. The problem is that the PC is very slow in bringing up web pages whilst the laptop zips along, however downloading on the PC is very fast, it the web pages that I am having problems with.

The PC is one year old and runs with Norton Internet Security from the day I got it and the laptop is brand new and runs with McAfee. Both run XP.

Any ideas why the web is slow on the PC !!!!!!

Thanks,
    Buzz

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

buzzard wrote:
    I have recently got 2mb Broadband with Eircom. The PC is connected to the modem and the laptop is wireless. The problem is that the PC is very slow in bringing up web pages whilst the laptop zips along, however downloading on the PC is very fast, it the web pages that I am having problems with.

The PC is one year old and runs with Norton Internet Security from the day I got it and the laptop is brand new and runs with McAfee. Both run XP.

Any ideas why the web is slow on the PC !!!!!!

Thanks,
    Buzz

Have you tried disabling the Norton?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

NIS is a pig of a program. Dump it and you should see an inprovement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭afatbollix

check for spywear.... spybot etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

something or other is causing a slowdown in delivering the data to your browser, and like the others above said, its probably norton Internet Security's idea of a feature, which is causing your problem. If you are behind a router, personally id dump any other software firewall etc and just get a good antivirus-only product like nod32 which isnt attempting to scan everything and everywhere on your pc.

Norton needs to scan absolutely everything as much as it cans cause its algorithm and programming isnt intelligent enough that they can confidently focus its actions on the areas that will actually cause concerns.

It ends up doing far too much 'just in case' and just so it looks like its a powerful piece of crap lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

I have disabled Norton and it was still slow.
    As for spyware, the machine is clean.

I have also remove Norton IS completely and it still did'nt make a difference

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

programs like Skype etc launch themselves at startup, go to start > run, enter msconfig into box and go to startup tab on top, just check there are no programs hogging your bandwidth.

HTH

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be spyware etc affecting Internet Explorer, test with Firefox or Opera to see if pages load any faster - www.firefox.com or www.opera.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

buzzard wrote:
    I have disabled Norton and it was still slow.
    As for spyware, the machine is clean.

I have also remove Norton IS completely and it still did'nt make a difference

Thanks for your help

Have you tried using the laptop via ethernet?

laptop via ethernet works fine.

I am going to wipe the hard disk on the PC and reload XP.
    Going to get rid of Norton altogether.

Will let you know how I get on !!!!!!

And it any asks, I already removed Norton and it was still slow.

Here goes

I have solved the problem.

wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows XP and all works fine now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement